Because These Words Were Meant For You

.16 Because These Words Were Meant For You

“Ms. Thyselius, I really can’t wait any longer. I have to close up soon.” Dr. Jameston said, tapping his wristwatch.
“I’m really sorry. Just one more minute please? He said he’d be here.” I asked helplessly, smiling at him nervously.
“Alright, five more minutes. If he’s not here, could you please just come in? We really need to make sure the baby’s doing alright.” He sighed, shaking his head as he placed my chart back on the wall.
“I promise I’ll come in.” I watched him walk away, a deep frown etched onto my face.
Five minutes.
Five minutes, Dillon.
Please don’t make me look like a fool.
The clocked ticked by annoyingly slow, and no one walked through the double doors. Well, let me rephrase that, one person walked through the doors. But it wasn’t who I was hoping it would be.
It was the fucking janitor. And his face when he saw me still sitting in the waiting room was priceless, I’ve never seen someone book it so quick out of anywhere before.
The fifth minute tick rang out and nothing happened.
Well, I guess it was now or never.
And I guess I was going in there alone.
I got up, smiled nervously at the nurse and followed her into the patients room. She set me up on the table, took my blood pressure, my heart rate, and a urine sample before she left.
Thank God for a pregnant, sensitive, always in use bladder.
“Are you ready now?” Dr. Jameston asked as he walked in, shutting the door and turning the lights out behind him.
“Yes, I’m so sorry for the wait. We can try to make this quick.” I pulled up my shirt, wrapping it up under and over my breasts.
“If you have questions, don’t be afraid to ask them. Nothing is too stupid when you’re expecting.” He turned on the Ultrasound machine and got out a tube of gel.
“Oh, wow,” I shivered as he smoothed the cold gel over my tummy, watching as he slowly pressed the probe into the tender flesh.
“That’s your baby,” He pointed at a tiny white fetus on the black screen, smiling at me. “Would you like a few copies?”
“Yes please,” I mumbled, watching as the fetus moved and its little legs kicked. “Oh, my God.”
“Do you want to know the sex of the baby?” He asked, putting the printed Sonograms in a manila envelope.
“Please,” He moved the probe around a little, towards the crotch of the fetus.
“It’s a boy,” He smiled, pin pointing the little stick like twig on my son’s crotch area. “See? Well, it’s very hard to see now. But you can just barely.”
“Oh, my God. He’s gorgeous.” I breathed out, reaching up to wipe the tears from my eyes. “Thank you.”
“He looks to be in pretty good health, too. He is a little small though, but that could just be your body or his. Some baby’s mature much quicker and some are slower. Are you taking you’re vitamins daily?”
“Absolutely. I think I might have missed them once, but I try my hardest to remember to take them every day.”
“Then everything should be fine. Next time you come, if nothing’s changed, we’ll have you start eating more. But right now, everything looks great.“ He smiled, handing me a damp towel as he cleaned off the probe and shut the machine down. “Congratulations to you and you’re other. It’s a shame he couldn’t be here today. But work gets in the way of a lot of things; it’s the way of life.”
“Yeah, work.” I mumbled, tossing the used towel in the wash bin and pulling my shirt back down over my stomach. “Thank you so much. And again, I’m sorry I made you wait.”
“Don’t worry about it. I can waste a few minutes.” He plastered another smile on his face, handing me the manila envelope. “I’m pretty sure Mary left already, so call back in the next week or so, so we can make an appointment. I’d say in about two months? If anything seems out of ordinary between that time, or you have a concern or question,” He handed me his card, tucking a long, thin pen in his shirt pocket. “Just give me a call or send me an email.”
“Thank you,” I held my hand out, shaking his as I followed him out of the room and into the lobby. “Again,”
“Have a great day and I’ll see you in two months.” He waved as he went into the back, no doubt getting ready to leave and go home to his family.
I took the stairs instead of the elevator, making sure to hold onto the railing like my life depended on it and descend the concrete blocks slowly.
Sniffling loudly, I leaned up against the side of the building and retrieved my cell phone from within my pocket. Scrolling through the contacts, I sent Nita a text message, knowing that Sarah was with her, too.
‘Dillon never showed. And that means I don’t have a ride home either’
I was expecting a text in reply, but I got a phone call instead.
“He what?!” Nita yelled into the phone, Sarah’s loud voice booming the same thing through the speaker phone. “I will kill him.”
“Please, just come and get me? I feel like such a fool.” I begged, darting around the side of the building as Dr. Jameston came out and made his way over to his car. “Please.”
“We’re coming.” Nita answered, Sarah’s loud voice ranting as she yelled at a car for running a red light. “Is everything with the baby okay?”
“Yeah, actually, things are great. I’m having a boy.” I smiled, despite the fucked up situation I was in.
“That’s amazing! A boy? Oh hell yeah! Me and Sarah are gonna be Godmothers to a baby boy!” Sarah’s voice, loud and giggly, screaming out something along the lines of “Sweet! A baby boy! Fuck yeah! Go me!”
“I love you girls.” I said honestly, sliding down the side of the wall and holding my stomach protectively. “So much.”
“We love you too.” Nita giggled loudly, yelling at Sarah about how she missed the right turn. “We’ll be there in like, ten minutes or something. Sarah’s a retard.
“Am not!” Sarah screamed through the phone. “Ah shit, you fucker! Learn to drive your car!” I heard a car horn beep loudly, Sarah’s voice cursing profanities at this ‘Dumbass’ that cut her off.
“We’ll see you soon.” Nita laughed loudly, directing Sarah in the right direction. “Bye.”
“Later.” I hung up and pushed my pink cell back into my jeans pocket, sighing heavily.
What could he possibly be doing that was so much more important than seeing his own baby for the first time?
♠ ♠ ♠
Some of them want to be abused.