The Beast and The Brain.

Chapter 5

The fire cracked and I peeked open my eyes. The curtains were pulled back to let the sun in, I sat up and tilted my neck. It cracked lightly and I rubbed the stiffness from it. The door opened then and she walked into the room, “Afternoon.” She greeted then tossed me a bundle of clothes, “Get dressed.” She left closing the door behind her. I looked down, there was a pair of flexible leather pants, leather boots, a belt, and a cotton shirt. I took my clothes off, and got dress. Everything fit.

I opened the door, she was there leaning against the opposite wall. She looked me over with a nod then pushed off the wall and headed down the stairs. I pulled the door shut and followed. Once in the street I noticed the morning hustle had calmed down, “Where are we going?” I asked.

“To find a ship.” She said simply turning to the docks, “With any luck we may find a captain willing to give us a ride.” She said, moving to get out of the way of an ox pulling a cart full of cabbage. We made our way down the streets; I kept touching the fabric that now covered my body, the boots felt strange as well. After two years of wearing only the thin wool rags, they gave us as coverings; the smooth leather and cotton shirt were alien to me. The boots made me feel as if my toes were squished, but nonetheless it felt good to be human again.

She stopped just short of the docks and examined the boats, then turned and looked down the side streets then took a left and headed for a more dingy Inn. “Don’t say a word, let me do the talking.” She said as she opened the door. The Inn was loud with laughter and hearty drinking. Music played and there were more than two games of dice being played. She scanned the crowed then saw what she was looking for. She walked with purpose to the round table of drunken men whom were making a ruckus with their loud laughter. I noted that the floor was covered in sawdust, normally found in cheaper inns and taverns needed to clean up messes; bloody messes more often than not.

I looked back up to the laughing men, she watched them silently then turned her head slightly to me, “Just stay back alright?” She said motioning to a small table near the fireplace, I moved silently and took a seat. She stood there a moment longer, then burst out laughing as loud as she could. Louder even, then everyone else. “HAHAHAHA!” She laughed slapping her leg and bending over slightly. Everyone quieted down, and the men turned to look at her.

“Oh!” She said taking a deep breath, “That sure is funny!” She mocked laugh, then stopped and her face turned serious, bored looking. “What a bunch of dimwits, ale for this table!” She barked at a maid as she pulled back a chair and sat at the table. A few maids came and poured foaming ale for everyone. “Now…” She said after she took a swig from her mug. They talked for a half hour, laughing, telling tales, I noted the men were slowly getting closer to her and laughing louder at her jokes. Finally she stood up, “Quiet now, settle down, settle down.” She said swaying on her feet slightly, “Now.” She said once she had their attention. A maid had brought me a mug of ale, I was savoring every sip, it was the first drink I had had in two years.

“I wager.” She said gulping, “That I can beat anyone of you at a fair game of arm wrestling.” She swayed a little bit. And the men burst out laughing. “Quiet!” She yelled at them, but not angrily. She pulled out a small leather pouch from her waist and tossed it on the table, it landed heavily. Coins. I watched intently, “I wager that sack of gold that I can beat anyone of you!” She said waving her hand and took another swing of her ale.

“I’ll take that bet!” A man roared as he pulled out his own coins and matched the weight to the amount she had placed. The men grabbed a smaller table and two chairs. She took the first seat and propped her right elbow up on the table, while the other man pulled his sleeves back and drunkenly took a seat. They clasped hands, “Who shall be the judge?” She asked.

“Capt’n!” A man called, “Will you do it?” A larger man I noted earlier, who had been drinking quietly in the corner stood and nodded to watch the game from the side. “Begin.” Both of them pressed against each others hands, I expected her to lose immediately, but to my surprise, and to the surprise of the other men they were locked in that position, both equal. My jaw dropped and I found myself leaning forward to get a better view.
“Come on!”

“Get her!”

“You’ve got this!”

“You going to let yourself be beat by a woman!?” They’re insults and encouragements were loud, and everyone else in the common room was watching with amusement. I found myself standing up to get a view. Then I heard a thud and the men stood silent for a moment.

“Seems like you all are just a bunch of pansies after all!” She stood on her chair now with her arms open. She was making a scene, “Double or nothing, I’ll let any one of you boys regain the coin back. Double or nothing!”

“I’ll take you on love!” Another bulging man stepped forward and took a seat. She grinned and sat down and it began again. It went on, six men tried their luck, but none could beat her, and she was gaining a heavy purse. Finally the captain stepped forward, “All or nothing. You seem to be taking my men’s pay, and I’ll not have it. By now you ought to be tired, I’ll go against you.” He said taking his own purse and adding it to the pile that had grown into a small mountain. He was far larger than the other, his neck was the size of one of my thighs.

She grinned from behind her cup and probed up her hand. His hand engulfed hers, “Begin.” Someone said. Instantly they pressed. She was staring him down intently as she had the others; slowly he began to take the lead. This was new. She stared calmly at the captain, as he got closer to defeating her; he let a grin spread out on his face, “Tired girl?” He grinned as he gained another centimeter.

“Not really.” She said honestly, then she pressed back, and he started losing all the ground he had gained. The grin faded, and she started smile, an inch from the table she stopped, “Tired boy?” She mocked then his hand hit the table. They both let go, “Well captain.” She said standing, “Gentlemen.” She dipped her head, “It’s been a pleasure.” She gathered the coins and began placing them all into the leather purses. The captain still stood dumbfounded, the men shuffled off upstairs to get some sleep, muttering that they could not believe they lost precious coin to a girl over and arm wrestling match.

She approached the captain, “How would you like to hear a proposition as to gain back most of your coin?” She said quietly, I noticed now that she looked exhausted. He eyed her and then motioned to a private table in the corner where he had been drinking his ale before it had all started. He called over more ale and they talked quietly. I sat in my table and sipped at the ale. My stomach gave a large grumble of complaint, ale on an empty stomach didn’t settle well, and I would probably regret it later, but I hadn’t had a drink for so long, and I didn’t have the coin for a meal.

The captain and her talked, less and less people left and the place became quiet. A serving girl came over with a tray of food and placed it on the table, “From her.” She said nodding to the girl, then she left without another word. I looked at the food in front of me. Chicken, bread, butter, jam, carrots, potatoes, cheese, mushrooms, and steaming pudding, my mouth watered. I dug in a like a wild beast, half way through the meal serving girl brought a jug of cool milk. I gulped a quarter of it down and continued eating. I savored every bit, every sweet juice than ran down my chin. It was heaven.

I finished my meal, my stomach was so full it hurt, the milk was gone and I leaned back and rested in my chair. Satisfied.

Finally the captain stood and they shook hands. He headed off upstairs and she came over to me, looked me over then walked for the door. I stood up and followed her, I felt like a slug. She waited for me to catch up then she swayed on her feet and clutched her head. I reached out and grabbed her shoulders as she slumped against the wall, “Are you alright?” I asked.

“Fine, I have a headache again.” She said pressing her fingers against her skull.

“All the ale you had most likely.” I retorted swinging her hand over my shoulder to help her back up the street. It was dark, I hadn’t even realized how late it was. I let out a sigh and made my way back up the street under the moonlight with a stranger. I realized then, that I didn’t even know her name.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I havent updated on Two moons lately you all. I really am writing the next chapter. Promise, its just hard to put it on paper so to speak. ANyways, enjoy!

_CORRI_