My Summer Love Story

Potatoes, Dishes, and lots of Trash

Cade’s Pov

“This officially sucks.” I state tossing another load of dirty dishes in the sink.

“Hey!” Reese protests when he gets splashed by the water. “I’m already soaked.” He holds out his arms to show us.

“Better than having to peel potatoes all morning.” Shane says waving a half peeled potato at us. “My arms are going to fall off.”

“What do they even need with all of those potatoes?” I scoot onto the counter and grab another plate to dry. You’d think with all of these kids they would use paper plates. Well not today.

Shane shrugs. “Probably just needed another punishment and this was the only thing they could think of.”

“What do we have to do next?” Reese snatches the towel from me and dries his hands. “I hope no more dishes. If I see another glass in my life, I think I’m gonna puke.”

“Trash.” Our counselor, Nate, says coming into the room. He drops three bulging bags on the ground and we all groan.

“I thought we were here to help make breakfast. Not do anything but.” Reese says slinging one of the bags across his back.

“Say one more thing about it, and you’ll be helping with breakfast and lunch.” Nate gives us a farewell wave and leaves through the swinging doors.

“Do you guys need any help?” A new voice says.
I turn and see Jackie and the rest of the girls coming into the room.

“We feel bad.” Liz says guiltily. “Well, Liv especially. Don’t you Olivia?”

Liv shoots a glare at Liz. “I guess so. But it’s your fault you guys got caught.”

“I can take that, Shane.” Jackie says holding out her hands to Shane.

Before I can protest she swings it up and it lies on her back.

“Thanks, Jackie. Hey, Liz, want to help me peel potatoes?” Liz eagerly agrees and grabs another peeler from one of the drawers.

“How ‘bout you wash Liv?” Liz says around a mouth full of raw potatoes. “It’s good for the skin.”

“Is it really? Count me in.” She pushes Reese away from the sink and turns to glare at him when he protests. “No amount of water could help that skin.” She says.

“Jeez. I kind of like this girl.” He laughs and grabs the towel, whipping it dangerously close to her butt; but instead of coming back with a smart remark she starts to flirt with him. Much to my surprise.

That girl is so unpredictable.

“Guess I’m on trash duty.” I say trying to sound disappointed; but secretly I’m pleased. I grab the last two trash bags and push the back door open with my foot, letting Jackie exit first.

“So, about last night.” Jackie starts, trying to keep her balance going down the wooden steps.

“It’s nothing. We just like to complain about everything.”

“It really isn’t. It was our fault you guys got caught.” Turning to look at me I can tell she is really upset.

“But, if we hadn’t been sneaking out to get snacks then we wouldn’t have found you.” I point out.

“I guess.” She shifts the bag to her other shoulder. “But the girls and I were talking and we want to help you guys in the kitchen.” She frowns. “Well everyone but Olivia. She’s not exactly throwing a party about it.”

I laugh. “I didn’t think she would. She’s not a very friendly person.”

“Yeah, but if you tell her something will make her prettier she’s all for it. Tell her eating worms will make her eyes look brighter and she’ll probably be out there digging them up before we can tell her we’re joking.”

We laugh and it feels so easy with her.

I lift the dumpster’s lid and toss the bags in. Hers quickly comes after them.

“Hey, Jackie?”

“Mhm?”

“How do you like camp life?”

I chickened out. I’m this close to smacking myself in the face. Maybe then I can act rationally.

“Better than I thought it would be. Did I tell you that I got stuck in my window when I was trying to run away so I didn’t have to come?”

I laugh at the image of her sitting there unable to move.

“But, seriously. It is great. Everyone’s friendly and its peaceful here. I’m glad to get away from my parent’s fighting for awhile.” She says seriously. “You kind of get bothered by it, you know?”

“Not really. My mom died.”

Her hands fly to her mouth and her eyes widen over the top of them.

“Cade, I am so-“

“It’s okay. It was a long time ago.” She still looks worried by it so I give her shoulder a quick squeeze. “Really, Jackie it’s fine. It was her time.” She looks a little bit reassured but I drop the topic, instead asking about the time she got stuck.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are very lovely and they make me want to write another chapter more quickly. And you'll get a chapter dedicated to you :)

Dedicated to a new but already dear friend for her amazing comments. Here's to you Dare4Distance!!!

Maybe you want to go read the story we're are writing together? Ta-da

[url=http://stories.mibba.com/read/207514/Unshead-Tears-and-Stupid-I-Love-Yous/ ]clicky here :)[/url]