Unreachable Love

Chapter IX

Sunday.

The REAL day I’d absolutely been dreading. Not only did they announce it on the intercom, but when everyone heard my name they started whispering, “Who’s Belinda?” or “That’s Ciara’s last name. Does she have a sister?”

It’s wild for me to hate this day, but it puts me in a position I’d rather slide away from.
This morning I did not want to wake up. The sun flashed in through my windows and awakened me. Once I stopped yawning I remembered what today was. My birthday. Silly, right? I don’t think so. After I didn’t wake up after several hours of lying in bed, hoping I could stay that way forever and just pass all my birthdays altogether, Bethany charged through my door and started jumping on me. She kept squealing, “Happy Birthday!” in that eight-year-old voice of hers. Soo annoying.

“Go. Away.” I mumbled into the blanket.

“Nope, nope, nope!” she sang. “Mommy told me to come and wake you up. We got party—no, I wasn’t supposed to say anything. Whoops. Shh!” She put her finger to her lips.

Oh no. I moaned. They were throwing me a party. I could not bare that, ever! Maybe I’ll be able to squeeze out of it.

I heard Bethany’s feet hit the ground as she left. I sighed with relief. But then I heard her say, “Mommy, Belly not waking up. She tir-r-red.” She dragged out the word. At least Beth was backing me up some.

“No. “ she paused. “Okay, here’s what we’ll do.” Oh no. They were planning to probably like ALL jump on me or something. I sure hope not.

Silence swept through my room with a rush. I was along now, maybe I could do that rotting thing I wanted to do on Friday. I thought about it for a moment but then stopped, fore I drifted off to sleep.

“Hey, Dork, wake up.” I heard Ciara shout. I imagine my mom giving her a look since she was probably standing right next to her.

“NO.” I replied.

“Don’t you want to see Brett.”

“Shut up. You’re just trying to get me up.”

“You don’t wanna see your big brother?” I heard a teasingly voice speak up.

I shot up out of bed and went to hug the scrawny guy standing in the doorway. “Aw, that’s better.” I heard him say, but I didn’t hear him really. I was too happy that he was here. But then I remembered the reason. “You didn’t get me anything did you?” I asked nervously. I really hope he didn’t. I wish people wouldn’t make such a big deal out of my birthday.

He nods and I guess I understand.

I’d finally gotten away from my home to just walk around the town. I smelled the air and noticed the weather would change soon. Not today but in a couple days. It would storm. I could tell. I’ve always been that way, being able to tell when storms approaching. It comes in handy quite a lot.

In the end, I ended up sitting on my bench. The sun shone down from the trees behind me and onto my back, so that my back became quite warm. I sat back against the seat and closed my eyes. I wanted to just sit here forever. Just freeze time and maybe go back and change some mistakes that I made. But then never unfreeze it. I’d get to just sit here the whole time. Thinking, wondering… imagining.

Pictures came into my head. The beach with the waves rushing angrily in. My brothers hands sliding along the keyboard making the most beautiful sound. Rain pelting at my window. And lastly… Oliver sitting beside me. I didn’t want to have Oliver in my head, but he seems to be there a lot. So for once, instead of pushing him out, I let him sink in. Let him flow through me.

I imagined Oliver’s voice, the mere sound of it always making my heart flutter. I imagined him holding me like he did on Friday. He sat there with his arm across my shoulders and my head lay on his shoulder. I imagined his big brown eyes, same color as mine but his had beauty to them. If you looked real close you could probably see the rainbow. I imagined his brown shaggy hair. It looked so thick I just wanted to run my hands through it.
And suddenly he was right beside me. I thought I was delusional or something so I said, “Are you a dream?”

He looked at me with curiousity. “Why? Am I part of your dreams?”

I blinked a couple times, ignoring his questions.. “Okay. I’m pretty sure you’re not a dream. But why are you here?”

He chuckled. “Do you not want me to be here?”

The answer I gave him a lie, but I hope he doesn’t figure that out. “Yes, I do. You’re disturbing me.”

He searched my face for quite some time and liking what he saw, he smiled. Got up and left.
When he got about a couple yards away he yelled back, “Show up at school around 4, okay?”
“um.. okay?”

He nodded. And kept on walking away.

At four o’clock I showed up at the school like he said. I don’t know why, I did. But when I got there, something told me I shouldn’t have.

I walked in through the main doors and on the wall straight in front of me there was a piece of paper with a arrow on it, pointing left, and says, “Go to gym.”

So I went to the gym. When I opened the door there were tables set up everywhere and balloons tied to chairs. I moaned softly.

Everyone jumped out of their hiding places and yelled surprise.

I'd fallen right into their trap.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aislinn,
okay, it wasn't a week. I think I meant a week til that one chapter I was talking about.

Image