Love is life and if you miss love, you miss life

Chapter 15

'Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase,' Martin Luther King, Jr

Brendon’s POV

It was five months ago since I had cheated. Whenever Sass and I are together I feel so in love with her but when we’re apart I barely think about her anymore. What with Director in the studio recording their album and us off touring after the success of A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out. It was getting so hard. However, I invited her to go see us when we play a gig in New York. I gave her some space after the whole incident and she called me about three days later and didn’t even mention it. Everything seemed fine. I love that girl so much but I can’t help but feel we’re tethering on the rocks. She seemed excited about coming to see me and I was planning something special, y’no, to get us on the right track again. The problem was I had no idea what to do. I’m not a romantic. At all. I was hoping some sort of dinner, just the two of us and a night in. I know she loves that sort of stuff rather than going out. I just want everything back the way it used to be.

Sarah’s POV

I arrived in New York airport to be greeted not by Brendon but by a man in a suit with a car. I didn’t bat an eyelid as I was so used to it now. I was driven to the hotel, a big five-star right in the centre of the city. I hopped out and practically ran through the big swinging doors not even pausing for the door guy.
The lobby was huge with a chandelier hanging in the centre, the floor made from marble and the whole place was so bright it made my eyes hurt, even though it was evening. I walked over to reception where a weedy, gelled-back black hair receptionist grinned at me.
‘Oh yes. We’ve been expecting you,’ he said creepily. I laughed nervously and was led up to Brendon’s room. I had never been in such a posh place in my life. It was magnificent.
‘Here we are,’ announced the weedy guy.
‘Thanks,’ I smiled. ‘I’ve got it from here.’
I knocked at the door. It pulled open and before me stood Brendon, looking gorgeous in a tight t-shirt and jeans. He had his hair messed up and was wearing his red glasses, oh I loved those glasses. I squeled in delight and jumped on him.
‘Oh Brendon,’ I laughed getting off him. ‘Missed you.’
‘Tell me about it,’ he grinned down at me. ‘Okay let’s get your bags in. Woah! How long are you staying for?’ He eyed up my family sized suitcase out in the hall.
‘Three days,’ I said.
‘Hmm…’ he dragging it into the room laughing.
I plonked myself down on the couch and Brendon followed. I put my head on his shoulder.
‘How’s everyone,’ I asked.
‘They’re good,’ he replied.
Silence filled the room and that never happened with Brendon. I knew he was going to say something.
‘Sass, I just want to ask you about….about that night,’ he said slowly. ‘I just think it was weird how we never spoke of it.’
‘I forgive you,’ I said briskly.
‘I know, I know,’ he said. ‘I just can’t help but think there’s more to it. How could you just forgive me?’
‘Because I love you,’ I replied. He wasn’t satisfied, he sat up and looked at me practically pushing me away.
‘Sass….’ He started.
‘Look, what do you want me to do? Yell at you, punch you and tell you how upset I am?’ I said getting frustrated.
‘Well yeah,’ he said. ‘I deserve it?’
‘That’s a bit attention seeking don’t you think.’ I muttered.
‘Ok, ok,’ said Brendon getting upset. ‘I’m sorry. You’re just so….so…’
‘Understanding?’ I said sharply. Brendon’s eyes shot up in confusion.
‘I didn’t cheat on you Brendon,’ I said slowly. ‘But I was tempted, I mean I thought about it.’ My mind shot back to the night in the pub with handsome stranger offering me a drink.
‘That’s not good,’ said Brendon, a hint of anger in his voice. ‘Why didn’t you tell me?’
‘Because it wasn’t important,’ I replied.
‘You almost cheated!’ he exclaimed.
‘YOU DID CHEAT!’ I roared tears brimming. ‘Do you know how I felt?’
‘Sass…..’ he tried but I shook him off.
‘I’ve gone through so much shit for you!’ I cried, tears pouring down my face.
‘What?’ said Brendon, really angrily. ‘Do you know how hard I’ve worked for this? For us?’
‘I have been insulted and bitched at and hurt because people love you Brendon and people hate me,’ I yelled.
‘WELL WHY DO YOU BOTHAR ANYMORE?’
‘To be honest,’ I said, my voice reducing to a whisper. ‘I don’t know.’
He looked at me and I saw so much pain in his face. He shook his head and got up, grabbing his coat.
‘Where are you going,’ I sniffed following him towards the door.
‘Out,’ he replied like a robot.
‘Brendon, no,’ I called after him as he walked down the hall. ‘We can work this out…..please…’
I watched him until he turned the corner and I practically fell back into the room my stomach actually hurting from sobbing so hard. I sunk to the floor, all alone in this paradise. How could I have let that happen. I felt so angry at him for leaving me. I was so annoyed. I lay there for what seemed like hours until I heard the door open. A tall skinny figure walked towards me.
‘Brendon?’ I asked wiping away tears so I could see properly. Ryan stood above me, his face covered with clear concern.
‘What happened to you?’ he said falling to the floor beside me.
‘Oh nothing,’ I said shakily. ‘We…Brendon and I just had a bit of a…..disagreement.’
‘Oh Sarah,’ he said Ryan putting his arm around me. ‘I’m your friend ok? You can talk to me.’
I looked up at him and wondered. Should I have been with Ryan all this time. I didn’t think so deep down but I was so angry and annoyed with Brendon I didn't feel it right then. He just looked like an angel sitting there after all that just happened.
‘Ryan,’ I whispered.
‘Yes, Sarah?’ he replied.
And I leaned in and kissed him.

Comments??