Love is life and if you miss love, you miss life

Chapter 19

'Time is what we want most, but what we use worst' William Penn

15 years later
Sarah’s POV

I stacked the plates beside the sink watching Lily walk up the path. She stomped through the door.
‘Hi Lils,’ I said. ‘How was school?’
‘Same as every other day Mom,’ she replied, the same answer everyday. She stomped upstairs, banging the door behind her. Of course I was used to her moody ways by now but sometimes I wish she could be the way she was when she was ten, bubbly and full of life. Know she’s all of fourteen and….wow fourteen…time really had flew. My life had been all about Lily. I had a steady job as a receptionist for a law firm and no other boyfriends or husbands. I loved Lily. After all this, I still thought she was worth it.
It had started like any other day but little did I know it was going to the weirdest day of my life. The day Brendon came back. I was still washing the dishes when I saw the car pull up outside the house. Then Brendon appeared and I almost fainted. He stared at the house for a while smiling. I opened the door.
‘Brendon…’ I said laughing and we hugged.
‘Can I come in?’ he said.
I held the door open and we walked into the living area.
‘How have you been Sass?’ he said. I shivered when he said Sass.
‘I’ve been great Brendon,’ I said. ‘And you?’ I knew I didn’t have to ask. He had had a great life. Panic! at the Disco had been huge with five amazing albums and awards to show. It was only recently that the band decided to call it a day. I knew that was why he was here.
‘I’ve been ok,’ he replied. ‘Took me a while to find you.’
‘You never called Brendon.’ I said coldly. ‘You never sent a letter…..not even to Lily.’
‘Lily…’ repeated Brendon smiling. ‘I know Sass, but I didn’t want to get caught up again, I had to focus on our music. I had too.’
‘A letter wouldn’t have ruined your career,’ I said.
‘Well, look,’ he said. ‘I’m back now and I’m ready to try again.’
‘Try again?’ I said horrified. ‘Brendon just because your career might be over doesn’t mean you can waltz back into our life. You chose your music.’
‘I have no where else to go,’ he said. ‘I can’t think of anywhere else I would rather be that here with you and our kid…….your kid…..’
‘No,’ I said.
He looked at me realising I wasn’t going to take him back. He didn’t know how much it hurt me though. All I wanted was to jump back into his arms and never let him go but I couldn’t. Not after him abandoning me.
‘Can I see her?’ he asked.
‘Of course,’ I said.
‘Is she mine Sass?’ he asked.
‘I never checked,’ I said. ‘It didn’t matter to me. You both weren’t here.’
He looked at me with sadness in his eyes. He then turned and went upstairs to see Lily.