Love is life and if you miss love, you miss life

Chapter 5

‘A kiss makes the heart young again and wipes out the years’ Rupert Brooke

I couldn’t believe the two weeks were almost over. Brendon and I had spent them together and it had been amazing. I went over to their hotel to help him pack. He opened the door and a huge whiff of boy came and hit me in the face. I giggled and sighed.
‘What?’ Brendon asked laughing at me.
‘You smell good,’ I giggle and throw myself on the bed.
He looked good in a t-shirt and shorts and I just sat there watching his beautiful self pack. This was going to be hard.
‘This is depressing,’ I sighed.
‘Yeah, I know,’ he laughed. ‘Look, we will keep in touch and we will see each other more often, ok? Promise.’ He hugged me and we both sighed. I helped him lug his suitcase out in to the hall, where I ended up toppling over it.
‘Holy shit, Sarah, are you high or something?’ he burst out laughing as I lay in spasms of laughter on the floor. He pulled me up and again we had one of those weird moments where we just stare at each other and then turn away, blushing.
Downstairs in the car park a taxi waited for him. His parents both hugged me goodbye and got into the car. Then I realised the time had come, I had to say goodbye to him. I then promised myself, as he gazed into my eyes, that I would not let him slip away again. Not again.
‘I’ll miss you. We have to keep in touch,’ he said. I just nodded, praying that I wouldn’t cry. I reached up and pulled out the Spiderman chain. He looked at it and then looked at me.
‘I’ve worn it every day,’ I whispered. He pulled me close and we stood there for what seemed like an eternity until an annoyed taxi driver beeped.
‘I have to go,’ he said and with one more smile he turned and headed towards the car. I turned and headed towards the bus stop. But as I walked I realised how stupid I was. He likes you and you obviously adore him. I decided I should just go for it, especially with the way I was feeling. I’ve never felt this way before, I’ve never been so myself with someone else before. I laughed and ran back to the taxi and yanked open the door. I pulled him up and I kissed him hard. He seemed surprised at first but then just fell into it. All too soon, he pulled away and grinned down at me, his hands still cupping my face.
‘Goodbye Sarah,’ he said and turned back to the taxi.
Now it was his turn to drive away in the car. His turn to watch me fade into the distance and his turn to know what it feels like. Too bad, it’s feels just as bad being on the other side.