Be My Metamorphosis

sophomore year. part two

Nationals; freshman year.

Jonathan -

This was horrible. We were playing in the championship game. Our team was down 4-1 going into the third period, and the way we were playing, we weren't going to be able to even score. All my shots had missed the goal, every single time. I was sure having an off game.

And I was very down. SSM had played well all year, so why chose now to fall apart?

I sighed, getting ready for the face off. Well, here goes. I thought. And then, something met my ears.

"Hey Shattuck, what do you say? Toews is gonna score today! So clap your hands and turn around, 'cause soon this puck is gonna go pound!"

I looked up, brutally mortified.

And there she was,

My best friend. Miles Christenson was standing up, with one of my jersey's she had stolen from me this morning, waving her hands around with Peyton, who was dating Zach Parise, the senior on my team, and Tegan. All three girls had pom pom's and faces painted.

I wanted to kill someone.

"Hey Toews, that pucks gonna go pound," the center from the other team sneered, smirking at me.

I glared at him, "Whatever."

"Hey, that one's pretty cute," he motioned to the stands with his head. "The one with the goldish hair. I like her attitude, and oh my god her bod-"

I jumped on him, full speed, he didn't even see it coming.

"Never. Ever. Talk. About. Her. Like. That. Again. Do. You. Hear. Me?" I said each word with emphasis.

I would never let his slimy hands get on Miles. Never.

"Hey! Hey!" the ref called, pushing me and the jerk away from each other.

We lined up again, as the chant now thundered through the arena.

I would take care of Mi later, but right now, I had to take care of this slim ball.

I won the faceoff and passed the puck to my defensemen, Blake. He gave a quick give 'n go and the puck soon landed on my stick.

I looked up and saw slimeball coming right at me. I stopped quickly, pulling the puck with me, and heard him fall into the boards.

I couldn't keep my mind on him for long, because I gained the blue line and passed to my left winger, Leif. He passed to our D and we crashed the net. Everything was so quick, the puck was in the air - and then it was gone.

I saw it, while the arena was booming: "Hey Shattuck, what do you say? Toews is gonna score today! So clap your hands and turn around, 'cause soon this puck is gonna go pound!"

And then,

It was buried in the back of the net.

We won nationals that year.

But right after that, I kicked Miles' butt. I told her never to sing that cheer again. She looked at me innocently, with those big blue orbs, and asked simply "what cheer?" Before giving me as kiss on the cheek and leaving for her dorms.

I don't know what it is about that girl, my best girl friend, but she drives me crazy. And I can never say no to her. And all I want to do is keep her safe and happy.

MIles and I grew inseparable. And while I had to go back to Canada, and she went to Nebraska to see her mom for the summer, I still called her every night, and texted her throughout the day. We took pictures where ever we went and emailed them so we could feel like we were with each other. Oh, how I wish we were.

-------->
----->


"Miles!" I called, trying to hide the smirk forming on my face.

"Oh my god! Jonny!"

I tackled my girl into the wall and laughed. I had only seen her once this summer and it had been nearly a month ago.

"Ahh! I missed you," she whispered, hugging me tightly, as she sported her SSM sweatshirt.

"You know I missed you like hell! Now c'mon! Let's get your stuff up to your dorm. Who are you sharing with this year?"

"Peyton and Tegan. I think Peyton's pretty bumped, you know, Zach is gone."

"Oh yeah. But I'm sure she'll find someone new," I said, smiling at her.

"I hope so! Well lets go Jonathan, a strong man like you better be able to carry all of this stuff up there."

I kissed her forehead, and grabbed her many suitcases as she laughed behind me.

-------->
----->


"Are you taking Mi on a date today?" I asked my teammate, Blake, who was one of my defensemen. I took a long sip of water before passing it to him.

Blake and Miles had been dating for about a month now. They met last year, but just a couple months ago I saw that they were really starting to take some interest in each other. And of course I was happy for both of them. Blake was a nice guy, I had known him for a year. He seemed responsible enough. Blake was a junior, that's pretty much the only thing that I had a problem with. But, I could tell how much Miles liked him. Hell, from their first date, I could see it in her eyes. So I approved.

"Yeah, it's friday so I think I will," he replied smiling and patting my back.

"Sounds great." I smiled at him.

"Well, what about you Jonny? Got a girl you like?" he asked me, smirking.

I smirked back, "Probably not. I am just focusing on my hockey right now."

"Let's go boys! Toews, Smith!"

"Coming!"

-------->
----->


"Jonathan!" My mom squealed, hugging me. I laughed, hugging her back.

"Son," my dad said, seriously, holding out his hand for me to shake.

I smiled, "I'm glad that you guys are here."

"We are too honey, now let's go get some food, you have to be back around eleven."

My parents brought me to a small Mexican restaurant. It was pretty nice to get away form the busyness of school and just hang out with my mom and dad. To tell the truth, I had missed them quite a bit.

"So Jon, how is Miles?" my mom asked. She loved her. When our families met this summer, it was like we had known each other all along. Minus the fact that her brothers were horribly annoying.

"She's good, she's actually on a date right now with one of my teammates."

"A date! Jon, I thought that you two would be a good couple," my dad informed me.

"No dad! We are just friends, we don't see each other like that, honestly."

"Jonathan, you don't want to lose a girl like Mi. She is an amazing catch-"

"Dad," I said firmly. "I love Mi, but not like that."

End of conversation.

-------->
----->


I waved goodbye to my parents and walked into the building and up to my dorm. It was around eleven thirty when I reached my room, I entered, happy to be able to finally sleep after a long day of school and talking with myparents. My dormmate, Alex, who is also my goalie, was gone for the weekend with family. So it was just me.

-Or so I thought.

I lazily walked over to the bathroom and got ready for bed. I came out with boxers and an SSM t-shirt, heading towards bed.

I noticed at the small dinning room set, someone was crying. I stopped, my eyes adjusting to the darkness. Miles was curled up in a ball, and I barley heard her sobs.

I didn't say anything, but walked over and scooped the girl into my arms, stroking her hair lovingly. I opened the door to my room and we walked to my bed. I sat her down, and sat next to her, but Mi instantly crawled into my lap, crying into my shoulder.

What in the world could have happened to her?

"What's the matter?" I asked, but she shook her head. "Babe - Miles, c'mon tell me."

"He-he cheated on me!" she cried through the tears that were pouring down her face.

Anger surged through me. No one, I mean no one messes with my girl; not even one of my teammates.

I calmly reached over to my bedside table, grabbed a tissue and handed it to her.

I was about ready to kill Blake.

"What happened?" I patted her back.

"Well," she blew her nose, and continued. "Blake and I were supposed to have a date tonight. And he told me around eight. We were going to go to dinner and then a movie. I got done with my homework early, and then I got ready. It was about seven, and sense I didn't have anything to do, I decided I wanted to surprise him, and come early. I went to his and Hayden's dorm, and the door was open, so I just walked in. And... and-" Miles started to cry even harder.

"Miles, shh," I cooed, wrapping my arms around her.

"And he was on top of th-that slut. Kara Stalling. Blake was making out with her!'

"I am so going to give that boy hell tomorrow at our game! What a little ass!" I yelled, furious.

Who the hell could treat Miles like that! She was an amazing girl, smart, kind, funny and good at hockey! So he's going to throw all of that away for that slut!

"I am going to kill him-"

"Jonny," Miles laughed, rubbing the tears out of her eyes. "You don't have to."

"Anyone who messes with my girl is gonna get their asses kicked," I told Miles, holding her shoulders.

She smiled, and I smiled back, knowing that I meant every word of it.

Miles through her arms around my neck and leaned it.

"Thanks," she whispered in my ear, and lightly kissed my cheek. Although it was still a nice gesture, it didn't mean too much to me. She was just my friend, I loved her, and she loved me. But not like that, never like that.

"You know what? You're the best, Jonny! Has anyone ever told you that?"

"Well..." I trailed off, looking around. I really didn't need to be cocky right now, Miles didn't need it.

She laid down on my bed and patted the rest of it, motioning for me to lay down.

I did as I was commanded and Miles cuddled in the crick of my neck. I held her close as her breathing became more and more steady.

"Night Jon, love you."

"Night Mi, love you."

With that, we fell asleep.

-------->
----->


"Hey Jonny!" Peyton called from the other side of the room.

I looked up and smiled. The three best friends sat around a table in the lunch room, heads in a huddle and whispering.

Tegan waved to me and I approached.

"What's going on girls?" I asked, smirking.

Miles looked up at me and smiled, almost evilly. Which wasn't easy for her to pull off, with the light glow about her face and the slightly red cheeks. Her golden hair was in big curls and her makeup was minimal. How could a girl like that be evil?

It's been almost a week since Miles and Blake broke up. Tegan and Peyton made me swear I wouldn't pumble Blake, at least not yet.

I only full on body checked him and practically broke his scull open at practice yesterday. But you know, I didn't really do much.

Now, Blake is sporting his new girl, Kara, aka, make me puke.

"The plan going into action yet?" I asked, as I sat down with them at the lunch table.

"Well," Peyton looked at the other girls. "Yes, except we changed what's in the bucket."
"To what?"

"Colored water."

"Oh my god, Peyt, colored water?"

"Not just any water, Jon," Tegan warned.

"This water dies everything, skin, hair, clothes," Miles informed me.

I laughed out loud, patting Mi on the back.

"Freaking amazing."

"That's what I thought."

We all high-fived.

"Where's the bucket?" I looked around, looking around.

"It's at the door."

"What?"

"When Blake and Kara walk in, they are going to get one big surprise."

"No way!" I laughed.

"Alex is holding the rope connected to it."

"This is Blue Whale to Black Hawk, repeat, over." The walkie-takie on the table vibrated with Alex's voice.

I lunged for it.

"Black Hawk to Blue Whale."

"The carrot is in view."

"Carrot? Alex! Carrot?!"

"Shh! C'mon man, don't blow our cover! But anyway, not just the carrot, but the orange too."

I rolled my eyes and the girls laughed.

We all turned towards the door. By now, everyone in the lunch room was sitting down.

"Blue Whale, let the show begin."

Kara held on to Blake, they stood in the hallway for a second. She looked directly at Miles and smirked, pressing her lips to Blake's.

Miles looked back, unamused. I felt my blood boil and I wanted to ring both their throats.

Calm down Jonny they are going to get their's soon.

"What comes around, go around," Peyton spoke.

"Amen," Tegan replied holding Miles' hand.

"1....2...3..."

"Oh my god!" Kara screeched as the ice cold water rushed around her and Blake.

In seconds, the water turned their skin a lime green color, hair and clothes soon following.

"BLAKE!" Kara screamed, stomping her foot and falling down on the ground, bringing the flustered Blake with her.

I looked over as Peyton, Tegan and Miles were laughing.

She caught my eye and smiled.

That, that right there, was the perfect revenge.