Status: Completed

Always There

Mama, You Got A Daughter

Image


Billie Joe was completely amazed. He had somehow made it to his twenty-ninth birthday. Twenty-fucking-nine. One year and he'd be in this thirties. It was unbelieveable. Freaky, kinda scary, but cool. He was a 29-year-old man with six albums under his belt, a devoted wife who co-owned Adeline Records with him, and two growing sons who brought him more joy every day.

He was happier than he had been in a while. It was July 23, 2001 and the guys were on tour in the States for two more weeks before they headed overseas in August. But right now he was in San Diego and and kicking back with Mike and Tre the day after their show at the Coors Amphitheater. They decided it would be a good time to hit up the town and maybe check out some local music stores.

Surprisingly they weren't hit up by fans on the street wanting autographs. It gave them the chance to just be like regular, everyday people. They chatted on their way, quite light heartedly, about their greatest hits album they were going to release later in the year, sometime before Thanksgiving. They knew they wanted to put two new songs on the album, along with all their hits from over the years. They had one already that Billie Joe was proud of personally.

'Poprocks & Coke' was sort of this declaration to his wife, Adrienne, about how he'd always be there for her. He just loved her so much. She gave him two great sons, supported him despite his moods, helped run an independant record label and, most importantly, put up with his shit.

But, now, they needed something else new that was slightly more edgy to contrast with the likes of 'Poprocks & Coke.'

"What about a song that we've put on the backburner for a couple years? Like, 'Ha Ha You're Dead,'" Mike suggested. "We got that song and never used it."

"Personally, I think we should use 'DUI,'" Tre put forth with a smirk.

"I thought we were gonna do that B-sides and demos type of album. You know, take those songs we liked and never used and put them on a record together?" Billie Joe looked between both his friends as they stepped into the first music store they came to. "We need something new. It's just a matter of coming up with the inspiration in time."

Mike was about to respond when the cashier in the store began to stare at them like they were sides of beef. Or like he'd been paused mid-sentence with a TV remote. Mike simply nodded as the trio of punk rockers headed down a row of CDs and began to aimlessly flip through the albums marked 'On Sale.'

"That cashier still staring?" Mike wondered.

Billie Joe looked over and smiled at the guy. "Yeah. You think one of us should get him a napkin for the drool?" the frontman asked with a laugh.

"He probably just wants your bod," Tre joked. "Wants to plug your ass with his floppy cock."

Both Mike and Billie Joe snorted and would've spewed liquid had they been drinking something. "Everyone wants to stick something up my ass," Billie Joe commented. "Usually it's Adrienne threatening to shove her foot so far up my ass that I'll be able to tie her chucks with my tongue."

Continuing on their way through the store, the oddest thing happened. Billie Joe heard a voice he hadn't heard in over eight years.

"Holy shit. Billie Joe?" came the voice that was female. "What the hell are you doing in a record store in San Diego?"

The green-eyed guitarist turned around to find himself standing about ten feet away from Lynn Cevallos, Maria's mom, who was pushing a baby in a stroller.

"Oh, wow. Lynn?"

"Ah!" Lynn squealed. She was considerably older than the last time he'd seen her. She had to be in her early to mid 50s now. Running over to Billie Joe, she threw her arms around his neck, giving the type of hug he'd remembered her giving him. Then she slapped his arm with her hand. "How've you been?"

"I'm great. How are you?"

"Uh, Billie?" Mike prodded.

"Oh, sorry. Lynn, these are my friends and bandmates, Mike Dirnt and Tre Cool. Guys, this is Lynn Cevallos. Maria's mom."

Mike glanced at Billie Joe's profile as Tre shook Lynn's hand first and exchanged how-do-you-do's with her. He noticed the distant look in his best friend's eye.

Reminiscence.

After introductions were made and some chit-chat took place, they decided to take the conversation elsewhere so they didn't garner an entourage of onlookers. They did sign an autograph with the record store cashier, though, before leaving. As soon as they were outside, Mike and Tre agreed to meet up later with Billie Joe while he caught up with his ex-girlfriend's mother.

Walking side by side with Lynn and the little baby in the stroller, he pointed out a small cafe he'd spotted earlier on the way to the record store. Once inside and seated, he finally inquired about the little baby.

"Who's the little one? Maria's?"

Lynn smiled. "No, this one's Catcher's. He's twenty-six now and married two years now. This is his daughter, Kelly."

"Wow. Last time I saw Catcher, I think, was New Years '93 at your house. Did he ever start a band with his friends?"

Lynn shook her head. "No, but he did pursue music, just in the educational way. He teaches music at a middle school nearby, actually. His wife, Kim, is a nurse. I babysit little Kelly when they're both working."

"Like, now? Because it's kinda the summer?"

"Well, Catcher works at Olive Garden during the summer months to make extra money."

"What about you, during the school year? Don't you teach high school History?"

"I did. Just retired last month."

"Ah," Billie Joe nodded. "Well congratulations on your retirement."

A waitress served them some coffee and afterward, both fell quiet, and both knew what each person was thinking about. But it was Lynn that opened her mouth first.

"So, I hear you're a family man now."

Billie Joe grinned proudly. "Yeah, I am." He scratched his head. "My wife and I just celebrated our seventh wedding anniversary three weeks ago today, actually. And, uh...I have two sons, Joey and Jakob. Joey's six and Jakob's gonna be three."

Lynn and Billie Joe locked eyes. For a moment it was as if Billie Joe was staring at Maria. They had looked so much alike. More so in the past because now Lynn was sporting a shorter, blonde 'do.

"So, um...how's Maria been?"