Janice No More

Chapter 6 Practice

In the dream I had tonight, I finally heard the name of the creatures. Kareptons. They were all attacking me while Skylar commanded them. I really didn’t understand the dream, but I would not cry over someone who didn’t care. I had to focus on the tasks I have at hand. It is my duty and responsibility to help kill the Kareptons. I opened my eyes and found no body in my arms. I looked around and saw Eric pulling an outfit out of my duffle bag.

“Hey,” I said stretching my arms above my heads. He rotated his head to me and smiled. “Come back to bed.” I said pulling the covers over for him to come in.

“Sorry, but you have workouts and practice to do today.” He walked over and gave me a kiss as he put the outfit he found in my bag on my lap.

I examined the pieces of clothing and realized it was a T-shirt and black capri sweat pants. I only wore this outfit when I did yoga.

“Are you serious?” I asked as I jumped out of bed and stripped down to my underwear.

“Yeah. But you have to practice and work out if you really want to defeat their leaders. Don’t worry I’ll work out with you.” He kissed me again then looked away to give me privacy. I pulled the tank top over my head and raised the capri pants below my waist. He turned back to me when I pulled my hair into a ponytail. He ran to me and smiled as he picked me up and carried me down the stairs. We appeared in a room that appeared to be the basement. There were vampires already down here warming up with stretches and some were sparring.

“You know I can walk, Eric.” I said as he put me down.

“You’ll probably be dead by the end of these exercises, so I thought I should give you a little help at the beginning.” He led me to a large mat where two highly skilled vampires were doing push-ups and sit-ups with no trouble even though they were assigned to do three hundred push-ups and sit-ups each. I could already feel the pain in my abs. Eric led me to the two vampires who got up immediately after seeing us and bowed to us. Why are they bowing to us?

“Nice to see you again, Eric. You too, Katherine.” The unknown male vampire greeted.

“It’s really an honor to see you, Ms. Sinclair.” The unknown female vampire said.

I whispered to Eric,“ Who are these people?”

“They were your fellow comrades in the last battle we all participated in with the werewolves before we finally decided on a treaty. You are good friends with the man. His name is Trevor, but you don’t know her.”

“Ah.” I said quietly. “It’s nice to see you, Trevor.” I said aloud.

“I know you do not remember me, and that is okay because I heard you are regaining your memory. I just got here last night. I see you and Eric are still as close as ever.” He smiled toward us. I didn’t need to force a smile because it was true. “Now it is time for your workouts. You think you are ready?”

“I’ll try my best.” I shrugged as Eric sat cross-legged on the mat. I joined.

For the next two hours we did grueling exercises that were so simple. While I breezed through the sit-ups, the push-ups were what really killed me. We had to do the push-ups with a cinder block on our back. I was sweating before we even got to ten push-ups while Eric didn’t start sweating until he got to the hundredth push-up. I had to do much more than Eric because I was new and just starting out. After we had to run ten laps under five minutes. I was only able to run four.

“Wow. You really haven’t practiced in a while, have you?” He handed me a bottle of water as I leaned my hands on my knees trying to catch my breath. I pulled myself up and chugged down all the water while Eric talked to Nathaniel.

“Well, I think it is good considering she was able to get close to finishing.” Joanna voice came from behind.

I turned to see her looking at me carefully. I put my hands on my hips breathing heavily. That’s the most I’ve worked out since...I don’t know when. Joanna patted my back and I looked up to her.

"Well done. You better get some rest. The pain will be worse later. You'll get used to the workouts and become stronger after some time. We are not planning on invading their main colony anytime soon. We're still gathering all of our comrades across the world, we need them if we are going to deefeat their entire race." Somehow her tone saddened.

"We're fighting to the death of their entire race?" I asked in-between my slowing breaths.

"Yes. It's the only way. Roland thinks it is because the leader has besome corrupt. If he has, we will only kill him and his followers. If not, if the whole race wants nothing more than to see our blood shed, then we will fight to the death."

I looked down to the mat and wiped away the sweat from my brow. "Kill the whole race? Isn't that a little extreme? Maybe we can reason with them. We can try to plan a meeting between the leaders and see if there is some way we can co-exist." I looked up to Joanna with little hope that would be a possibility.

"Katherine." A vampire general came up slowly speaking in a low, deep, and angered voice. "This isn't like the human world. Two different races who want nothing more than to kill the other can't just sit down and try and solve their problems. That's just the stupid way of this life. Welcome to the vampire lifestyle." The corners of his lips turned up slightly with a quiet evil laugh come from his mouth. I kept staring at him as he walked away to spar with another general.

"Just ignore him." Joanna said quietly.

"He's right, though." I whispered."I need to get out of the human world and acknowledge what I am a part of now. No matter how much I don't want to."

"Katherine." She said softly as she looked down to me.

“It’s okay, sister. It won’t be as hard as you think. There is nothing left for me in the human world anyway. I am a part of the vampire world, now.” I straightened my back and walked to the sparring area leaving Joanna behind where she stared with worry.

Eric was there walking slowly across from his opponent like what he would do if he was in a cowboy showdown. He leaned into a crouched position and leapt toward the unfortunate opponent in a single graceful movement. In an instant the opponent was face-down on the mat and Eric head was to his neck as if he was going to suck him dry. Instead he rose as the spectators cheered. I came closer and saw the man on the ground was breathing heavily as he got up with a look of shame. He saw me then he walked the other direction. I sighed frustrated and felt a pair of arms wrap around me. They pulled me against a chest I was familiar with.

“Eric.” I moaned in a whisper.

“Hello, Katherine. You ready to spar?”

I turned around and put my hands on his shoulder looking into his deep blue eyes.“Yes. You want to spar with me?”

“Sure. I won’t hurt you...much.” He leaned forward and brushed his teeth against my neck. I smiled and gave him a kiss as we walked to the mat. He stood on the other side looking at me intensely and seriously, yet still playful. I started to feel like I really knew him now. I just didn’t want to keep my lips off him.

The adrenaline and animal intensity was coursing through my veins I’m sure he feels it, too. His heavy breathing and smile told me the truth. People began to gather. I laughed nervously as I just realized that I will really be fighting against Eric. This was bad. He is so badass. I should just concentrate on how I fought with Kareptons. The memory of Skylar returned. I grimaced. The whistle blew and I leaped into the air to where he stood ready to pounce him to the ugly hard blue mat...but he disappeared. I scanned the area for a few moments looking for him. I felt an arm hit me across the face knocking me to the mat. I got up immediately to see Eric looking at me smiling at my shock. I smiled back showing off my sharp teeth as I jumped him. Beyond my doubtful thoughts, I was able to knock him to the mat. I pressed my palms down on his shoulders as he looked up to me impressed. He smiled despite his coming loss. Waiting for the whistle to blow I made a mistake. I loosened my grip on his shoulders. This time he jumped on me reversing the positions of us two. I laughed in pain as I felt a strain in my back from landing on the hard mat. He was worried for a moment than he turned to the ref a few feet away. He blew the whistle and Eric rose standing above me reaching his hand to me. I didn’t take it. I struggled to get up because my back still hurt slightly. I sat there a moment longer and the pain was gone. I sighed and took Eric’s still waiting hand.

“You’re way better than I first thought.” It was like he was a god at fighting. Everyone respected him.

“Well, you were able to get me held on the ground for a few moments, so your getting better. I think you’d be able to take a few of those bastards down.” I didn’t laugh even though he probably expected me too. I had to be much more serious now that I have more responsibility.

“Well, I have killed a few Kareptons.” I started to smile against my will.

“I know that...but I shouldn’t be so worried.” He stopped and turned to me holding both of my hands. He took a breath. “I was assigned to protect you just as Nathaniel was to Joanna. I have to tell you something very important about yourself and your past. I am not supposed to, but you should know about your early vampire years. You were–”

“Eric!” A man screamed. I jumped toward the direction of the voice. I saw a pale man. He was surrounded by many well-built vampires that were all dressed in dark clothing while he wore loose black jeans and a gray short-sleeved T-shirt smiling at me. He had deep brown – almost black – hair, silver blue-like eyes, pure white teeth, muscular and gorgeous.

“Hello, Roland.” Eric greeted with a gallant bow.

Roland?

The man looked at Eric slightly amused and angry at the same time.

“Eric, you know I am supposed to tell her about her past.” He started to grin. “After all, she is promised to me since I turned her into one of the strongest and most loved vampires in this world.”

My mouth dropped. “Excuse me? What did you say?” I asked trying to reel from the shock.

“You are promised to me because I turned you.” He said coming closer with a -somehow- awaited smile. His body guards watched him carefully while others were scanning the area. Eric tried to stay calm, but I could see the frustration and endurance in his eyes. I held his hand for a moment but released it when he didn’t relax.

Roland walked up slowly reaching for my hand. Joanna was next to me giving me a nod of reassurance. I let him grab my hand while he kissed and caressed it passionately. His hand was firm and cold as were his lips. What was so strange was the bond I felt with him, like we were family or more. I guess that’s because he changed my sister and I. He pulled back and smiled to me. He was attractive but I loved Eric. I only looked to him with no smile, just slight shock in my eyes. He chuckled at this and tried to lean in for a kiss. I gasped outraged and slapped him across the face expecting him to stagger back like in movies, but instead he had no reaction to it and slapped me back. I did stagger. It felt like a train hit my face at full speed. I placed my hand on my face not that surprised he would do it. Eric stood in front of me as I heard a monstrous growl come from his throat unlike his playful sounds earlier.

“Ah...I see. You have been moving in on my future bride-to-be. Well, guess I’ll have to teach you a lesson.” He’s smile was gone leaving a face of a true monster.

“Hey, hey, hey!” I stood between them trying to stop these idiots from fighting. “Please don’t fight or I’ll have to kick both of your asses. Now first of all, what the hell do you mean I’m your bride-to-be? Second of all, what the fuck is wrong with you two? Thirdly, Why the hell did you slap me?”

Roland chuckled smiling crooked. “My bride knows how to handle herself. I’m impressed.” I stared at him glowering. “By the way, I slapped you because of reflex action. I apologize.”

Eric spoke next. “That’s what I was going to tell you. I was going to tell you about the things Joanna didn’t tell you.”

“Ah, ah, ah. Don’t ruin it. I want to tell her.” He smiled and trotted over to my side. “Shall we?”

“We shan’t.” I said backing away into Joanna.

“Go. We can’t afford to be on his bad side.” Joanna whispered in my ear.

“You two would never be on my bad side.” He grinned.

I exhaled sharply and turned to his side following him. Joanna, Nathaniel, and Eric started to follow.

“Excuse me.” Roland said as if they were being rude.

Everyone walked back except the bodyguards who followed from a distance. I didn’t want to be alone with him at all. I was afraid what he would try, but I can take care of myself. I stayed a foot away from his body but still trying to be respectful to the leader of our race.

“So what do you have to tell me?” I asked as we left the elevator that reached the roof. The roof was mostly a flat level concrete floor with a few pieces of furniture and a little shelter gazebo-like area.

“Many things. What would you like to hear first? Vampire past or human life?” He asked leaning against the door that led onto the concrete roof.

“Both.”

“Well, as for your Human life, I found you very intriguing. I first met you at a banquet your parents were hosting. I was a well-known count back then. Still am, technically. You bumped into me while you and your sister were running for the exit to the gardens. I was amazed that even at the young age of seventeen you did not care what the snobs your parents befriended thought of you, even though they wanted you married soon you just wanted to be yourself. And you were so sweet to me when you first met me. I remember every moment that night when you walked into the ballroom.” Was he declaring his love for me? I flinched as I realized that he was. Why was everyone in love with me? What was so damn special about me? “I talked to your parents for a long time trying to befriend them in every way, so I could have a shot at marrying you. Then I learned that I was not the only one competing for your beauty and independence. I first thought I should take out the competition, but that would raise too much suspicion and you would be scared of me just as you are now when I tell you what I really am. I would not dare scare you like that and lose you.” He’s literally spilling his guts to me about how he feels and I can’t return the feelings...at least I don’t think I can. “Anyway, a few days later I was able to persuade them to get me to meet you properly. It was the day before their anniversary. I sat in your father’s office waiting for you to grace us with your presence. I was so impatient while I waited because I wanted to see you so badly.” He smiled as he turned to me. I simply looked at him slightly confused trying not to hurt his feelings. I just didn’t understand. “Hey,” He said interrupting his story. “Could you smile please?” I looked confused.

“Why?” I said starting to turn the corners of my lips up.

“Please, I miss seeing your smile.” He said so seriously in a low...seductive tone.

I smiled showing my teeth.

“Oh, I’ve missed that.” He flashed me a dashing smile. He was so sexy.“Now where was I? Oh, yeah. Anyway, when you came in you were kind of shocked to see me, but you treated me with courtesy, and your father left us alone to chat. We talked for a very long time about each other. We had such great chemistry. Then you had to leave a few hours after we talked for so long when your sister came to collect you. She looked very weary when she came. You told me goodbye politely and left with her. I heard a little conversation you both had in the hall. ‘He’s cute,’ Joanna whispered and you blushed. I always wondered why exactly you blushed.” I started to blush feeling my cheeks burn. He smiled feeling somewhat impressed with himself.

“Why did you leave us?”

“Huh?” He said quietly.

“Why did you leave us?” I repeated.

“Duties called and I answered. I chose a bad time to turn you, but it was to save you, you must understand that. We were in the middle of a war with our enemies, werewolves, but now we have signed a treaty of peace. I had to leave you with Joanna while I tried to end the war. I had a lot of responsibility.”

“I just don’t understand why you didn’t just take us back. What were you embarrassed that you turned us and had to be burdened with us?”

“You don’t understand!” He stood up with anger in his eyes. “If I took you back with how beautiful you look, everyone would want a piece of you! I would never want that for you!” He yelled. He took a breath. “I would never put you in danger.” He whispered getting so much closer than before...what’s weird was I didn’t mind that much.

“Really?” I whispered. His face came closer as his hand played with my hair.

“Yes.” He kissed me on the forehead as I closed my eyes at his touch nearly falling to my knees. “We should return to the others.” He whispered against the skin of my forehead. I sighed and followed him to the door leading to the elevator. I can’t believe what just happened. One moment he’s a total jackass then he uses his charm on me and I am head over heels for him. When the elevator door opened Eric and Joanna were waiting while I was embarrassed that they probably heard every word, Roland was smiling at Eric as he glared at him.

“Well, are you done with Katherine? She looks tired as hell, so if you don’t mind, Eric will take her to bed.” Joanna said strictly.

Eric smiled and Roland growled silently. “Hope you don’t mean that in the biblical sense.” Roland said quietly glaring at Eric but turning to me with a smile.

“Well, we already have, but that was many years ago.” He smirked.

I stared at him with a gasp of non-belief. Roland closed his eyes and laughed under his breath walking by with his bodyguards trying to hide his sadness that I could feel.

“I think I will stay here a while and...evaluate Katherine’s progress. I will be staying with Katherine in her room.” He said stopping to look over his shoulder.

“Over my dead body!” Eric screamed immediately jumping into action into an attack crouch.

“If you insist.” Roland mumbled. Suddenly he had fire dancing around his hands.

“Stop it, you idiots!”Eric looked to me and relaxed his crouch while Roland laughed at my comment.

“Graceful, as always.” He mumbled.

“Shut up. Now, first of all, what gives you the right to want to waltz up and say whatever you want and expect to get it?”

“A: I’m more powerful. B: I am leader of the race. Any other questions?”

“No. But why don’t you go fuck yourself.”

“Not as fun as it would be with you.” He grinned.

“In your dreams.” I scoffed as I walked to Eric’s side.

“Every night.”

My eyes began to droop and I could see nothing at all only the blurriness of everything around me. I started to lose balance and my feet were no longer touching the level concrete floor.

“Katherine!” Three voices yelped with worry. I felt my body land in someone’s arms but unsure of whom.

“Katherine.” Eric said quietly.

“Katherine. Are you okay?” Roland added.

I couldn’t speak or see anything. I just wanted to sleep.

“She is sleepy. Eric take her to her room and let her sleep, but let me watch over her.” Roland ordered trying to hide his worry. I think everyone could tell that he was, even Eric. Especially Eric. A few moments later I felt my body was being carried and soon put on my bed. I wasn’t asleep, but I wanted to...I just couldn’t open my eyes.

“Wake up, Katherine. Please.” Roland’s voice said silently. He was worried? I probably just passed out without actually passing out. That doesn’t make any sense. I felt a pair of lips brush against mine. My eyes opened and I saw Roland’s face to mine, eyes closed. I closed my eyes and gripped my hands around his head, pulling him to me parting his lips with my tongue. He did the same pulling himself onto the bed. Suddenly, I felt like a slut from my school. I stopped kissing him and pushed him away. I sat up against the frame of my bed looking at his confused face.

“I’m sorry. I thought you wanted to.” He got off the bed and went to the door.

“No, Roland it’s not that.” I sighed and looked down.

“It’s Eric, isn’t it?”

“Don’t say it like that. I feel like I’m in a bad soap opera.”

“I know the feeling. It is him though.”

I kept boring a hole in the cover on my lap. That’s all he needed to confirm the answer.

“Why?”

“I think...I fell in love with him a long time ago and I think I still am.”

“I see.” He exhaled sadly.

“But I do care for you...I love...you, too.” I said quietly.

I could practically hear his heart stop for a second. He looked back to me with sincere love-filled eyes I haven’t seen since the eighteen hundreds.

“I love you, too.” He said heartfelt as he left through the door leaving me in my room.

Great. I’m in love with two people. This is going to make things extremely complicated. I curled up under the covers trying to exclude the thoughts that seemed to haunt me about more information I have taken in so calmly, yet inside I just wanted to cry and cry until I lost my voice. I let myself cry into the pillow for a few minutes until I found sleep and my dreams.

* * *

I woke up with a huge headache in my head like I had a hangover. I dizzily got out of bed swinging my legs onto the floor. The next thing I knew over ten vampires surrounded me, Eric, Roland, and Joanna included.

“Get back to bed.” Joanna urged.

“No. I’m fine. I’m not a helpless creature. I can tough it out.” I stood up with weary eyes on me. I walked past them near laughing. I simply smiled as I grabbed my duffle bag and headed to the bathroom.

“Wait.” Roland stopped me from closing the door. “Here is a dress. We are all going to the annual ball tonight in Northern England where I live. It will be just amongst us vampires, so no need to worry. Just put it in your duffle bag.” He gave me a smile and left to stand next to everyone else. It felt kind of weird having everyone watching me. I ignored them all and hurried to the shower when Roland added we were leaving in an hour. I tore off my clothes as quickly as I could then jumped into the shower nearly falling on my ass. I washed through my hair then shaved my legs as fast as I could without cutting my legs. I heard the door creak open.

“Hey, Katherine, you done? You have forty minutes.” Eric reminded me as I rinsed the remnants of shampoo and conditioner out of my hair.

“Almost.” I yelled over the water.

“If you need to go faster, I could help.” Roland’s voice said through the cracked door.

“No, thanks!” I said lower after I turned off the water. I reached to the pole holding the curtain feeling for the towel, but I realized I forgot it. I let out an irritated sigh and poked my head out of the curtain to see Roland standing in front of me.

I forced a smile that could show my irritation. “Could you give me a towel?”

“What’s the magic word?” He said smiling. He’s enjoying this too much.

“Please.” I growled.

He turned and grabbed the white towel on the sink and gave it to me.

“Thank you.” I closed the curtain and wrapped the towel around my body. I opened the curtain and walked to the sink where the hair dryer was. Instead of drying my hair I put my hair into a pony-tail and pushed Roland out of the door and locked it behind him. I turned back to my bag and pulled a pair of jeans and a black and gray striped, cotton sweater. I dressed as quickly as I could when there were knocks coming every few seconds with ‘hurry up’s’ between every knock. We had plenty of time, I mean, it’s only a ball or something, right?

When I was finally fully dressed I walked back into my room seeing impatient faces looking my way. Eric was holding my one bag in one hand, also giving me an impatient look.

“What?” I asked quietly. I brushed it off and they led me outside. Roland came to my side and started to tell me a little of the rules and manners about this ball. “So, what ball is it? Is it important?”

“Important?” He scoffed. “It’s one of the most important events in the vampire world that will happen for the first time in centuries. I don’t want to ruin it for you though. It’s a surprise.”

“Oh, how much I love surprises!” I said sarcastically as we walked out the lobby door. I kept looking to him as he laughed. He looked so cute when he laughed, but it seemed like there was something more behind it. I ran into a stiff body. “Hey! What the–” I saw Eric, well, his back. He wouldn’t move. I glanced around his back to see his face. He looked shocked and he was staring at something with hate in his eyes. I turned toward the direction he was staring and saw somone I didn’t, yet somehow did expect to see. The person started walking toward us, while Roland stared confused the rest of us were wondering why he was here.

“Katherine.” The voice murmured. “I’m back and...I am sorry.” He stopped when Eric growled with fury.

“You know this human?” Roland asked aloud.

“Yes.” I said trying to hide the pain in my voice. “Unfortunately,” I added.

“Please, Katherine. I’m sorry.”

“I forgive you, Skylar, but I want you to leave.” I said so cold that I didn’t even recognize my voice. It was the only way to protect him. To push him away.

“Katherine.” He whispered gently with the voice that always soothed me. “Alice.”

I stopped breathing.

“Alice?” Roland questioned quietly.

Tears started to fall and I treaded toward him slowly. I gripped my arms around him tightly and began sobbing. He pulled himself closer while I dug my fingers into his shirt. I didn’t realize I missed him so much until I could smell his cologne that always sent a frenzy of shivers down my neck. He kissed my forehead and cheek telling me it was okay.

“I see we have another man competing for Katherine’s heart.” Roland mumbled to Eric.

“I can see that.” Eric growled. I could hear the jealousy in his voice.

I almost forgot all about the people around us. It just seemed like Skylar and I were the only people in the world. I sighed and pulled away from Skylar wiping the last of my tears away. Looking back to his face.

“You look so different. It’s been a while since I’ve seen you. I’ve missed you so much.” I told Skylar. I was being selfish. I’m putting him in danger. I wanted so badly to scream ‘Run away, Skylar!’. But I couldn’t find my lips.

“Ditto.” He said smiling again.

I sighed choking back laughter and the tears. I turned my head over my shoulder to say the words that would be Sklyar’s certain death. “Skylar’s coming with us.” I didn’t ask. I told them. I was being the most selfish person in the world right now.

Eric stared at me shocked. “Are you crazy? You know what will happen if you bring him.”

I began to visualize what would happen and he was right. My face dropped.

“You’re right. I’m sorry, Skylar. I was being selfish and putting you in danger. I shouldn’t have done that. You should go.”I whispered with my eyes closed.

“I can’t! I love you too much. Turn me into what you are, so I can protect you.” He screamed so sincerely.

Everyone gasped in shock. My heart collapsed.

“You want to be a monster?” I whispered. My eyes still closed.

“No.” His voice came closer. His hands touched my shoulders. “I can’t leave you.”

“I don’t know how to turn a human into a vampire. Even if I wanted to Skylar, I wouldn’t be able to.” I whispered through my shallow nervous breathing.

“I could.” A voice spoke. I opened my eyes to see Roland standing in front of me.

“He could die, Roland. We almost did.” Joanna cautioned. I knew who she meant by we.

“I know, but I think I can do it.” Roland said. He turned to me. “Is this what you want, Katherine?” He whispered.

It took me a long time to decide that, but they waited patiently. I didn’t want to have him fight beside me, for him to always be in danger, not only from others but himself. But as selfish as I was when it came to the people I love, I couldn’t let him go.

I took one deadly sigh and whispered, “Yes.”

“Okay. Joanna, go get some towels, Eric, some cold water, and Katherine...you might want to close your eyes. Skylar when we get on the plane I want you lay back in the chair and lean your head back. This is going to be very painful and uncomfortable.” Roland ordered us.

Joanna and Eric were back before Skylar had gotten into the limo with us. I sat in the corner of the limo sulking from my decision. All of us were alert and ready for any Kareptons attacks, just in case. I watched Eric intently. He watched me while Joanna and Nathaniel had a heated argument over what Roland was planning to do. I felt guilt course through me. I was causing hurt between two people that love each other. I looked back at Eric until the limo came to a stop in front of a private airplane in an abandoned airport. We all got out of the black limo and walked slowly to the airplane while the bodyguards scanned the area for threats. I had one bag in one hand and two in the other to help everyone else with their baggage. I felt the two bags disappear when a familiar hand brushed against mine and grabbed the suitcases. It was Skylar. I smiled at him and we both walked on the airplane smelling delicious human food. My stomach growled at the smell when Skylar and I sat down in one of the reclining and comfy chairs.

We started to talk like we used to before all this crap started. He asked me about what I learned of my past and how I was feeling. I answered as honestly about my feelings as I could, but I did tell him about the things I remembered and the fact I was growing stronger. He looked happy about the news when he gave me his smile that made me want to smile with him.

“You ready, Skylar?” Joanna asked as she came up to us waiting in her dress that she has already changed into.

“Yeah.” He kissed me on the cheek. “ I love you.” Before his lips could get far from me I pulled his lips to mine and whispered

“I love you, too.” I whispered as he pulled away to follow Joanna. I stood up looking over the seat to see him heading toward the back. After a few moments Joanna was walking back and I heard a scream. It was Skylar’s. I started to instinctively get up and run to him, but Joanna was sitting next to me blocking my way back there.

“He’s supposed to feel pain. He’ll be completely transformed by the time we get there, so you should get ready.” She said quietly as she pulled me in for a hug, pressing me to her trying to calm me.

“Okay. I’ll get ready.” I moved around her slowly looking for my dress when I remembered that Roland brought it on. I peeked through the curtain where the screams were coming from and saw something that made me want to scream. I held my hand over my mouth stopping the scream.

Roland’s head was to Skylar’s neck still sucking blood while Eric cut his wrist feeding Skylar even though he kept spitting it up. It was a horrible sight. I shut the curtain and went to the bath-room where the dress was hanging on the shower bar.

I closed the door feeling all the fury in me that I could possibly ever feel and cried while looking down to the mirror watching my mascara run than fix back to it’s original state. I punched the mirror cracking the glass while small shards fell into the sink and cut against my fist and arm. I hated being perfect. I hated everything about myself. I watched as the blood dripped into the drain and the cuts begin to close up. There was a knock on my door.

“Leave me alone!” I screamed. “I’m changing.” I added through the tears. I tore off my clothes and threw them out the out the door at whoever it was leaving me in my strapless black lace bra and matching underwear. I closed the door back and slipped on the gorgeous black gown. It was sleeveless, silk and smooth. I began to marvel at the beauty, but the door was pulled off it’s hinges and Eric was looking at me when he realized I was watching him give blood to Skylar. He pulled me into his arms and wrapped himself around me while I did the same to him.

“I am so sorry you had to see that. That’s the process. That’s why Roland didn’t want you to see. He knows how fragile you really are. And don’t you dare give me that ‘I’ll tough it out.’ or I will go insane.” He whispered against my ear while his breath blew my hair away and back to him making this seem like a perfect moment in my life. I dug my nails into his shirt biting back more tears. I wiped away the last of the tears and kissed him.

“Thank you.” I hugged him once more than walked to sit next to Joanna who looked upset.

I changed my mind and decided to sit by myself two rows behind her. I sat there looking out the window seeing the clear crystalized blue ocean below us. It was so beautiful that I just wanted to dive in and swim with the dolphins. It was exhilarating to imagine the water thrash against my body, seeing the beautiful and peaceful underwater sea life of the reefs and fish swimming past me instead of away from me, and no dangerous creatures like sharks passing by just large and peaceful whales wailing loudly. I could literally taste the sea water in my mouth now. I leaned my head back on the reclining seat and started to close my eyes hoping to dream of that instead of wars, blood, or vampires.