‹ Prequel: Bat Country

Holding On

Chapter Eight

The next morning I woke up with a horrible headache. I tried to fall back to sleep but my head was pounding so hard and I just couldn't. I buried my face in the pillow, changed positions, everything, but nothing would work. My head was seriously about to explode.

I stayed laying in my bed, trying to fight the headache, for at least half an hour. Then I heard some breaking noises. Probably Peanut running around the house again, destroying everything in his way. I smiled and shook my head; that dog is such a mess. If he wasn't so awesome I would have get rid of him by now.

Peanut! Get off me! Get off! I heard someone shouting. Is there anybody in my house? With my face still buried in the pillow I tried to think of who it could be. Peanut! The shouts did not stop. I tried to recognize the voice. It was definitely a girl but I do not remember bringing someone back home last night. I remember Val helping me getting into the house… Val! I jumped off my bed and ran over the living room. "Peanut!" I shouted at the dog, trying to get his attention. He kept licking Val's face. I was ignored by a dog, oh man.

After letting out a sigh I walked over the couch where they were and managed to somehow get him back on the floor. "Are you alright?" I asked Val, she nodded and laughing. "I'll just go wash my face" she said smiling and went over the bathroom. I smiled and went to make myself some coffee; it would either help the headache or just help me wake up.

I got back from the kitchen with the coffee and sat on the couch. Peanut jumped on the couch and sat next to me. I looked at him and smiled, such a stupid dog. A minute later Val made her way to the couch as well. Half way there Peanut jumped off the couch and jumped on her, causing her to fall. "I'll just get him outside" I mumbled and roll my eyes. I got up, left my cup of coffee on the table and went over to Peanut. I caught him by his collar and started dragging him outside. It was quite a task, obviously he tries to get out of my grip and runaway, but I kept a good grip and kept on sleepily dragging him toward the door to the yard.

Once we got to the door I switched my right hand in my left so I could open the door. Peanut is a smart dog apparently. He realized he has a chance and started moving his head from left to right over and over until I lost grip of the collar, then he bit me. I opened the door and pushed him outside before he ran in the house, then locked the door behind him. I sighed and felt my left arm burning.

"Johnny, are you alright?" I heard Val's voice and looked behind me; she was standing there with a worried face. "Yeah sure" I smiled. She held my arm and looked at it. I had two scratches from Peanut's teeth with some blood. "You have to get it cleaned so you won't get infected" she said and I nodded. I walked over the couch and sat down, taking back my cup of coffee with my right hand.

Val sat next to me and cleaned the blood off my arm, then bandaged the wound. It burned, but the headache was much stronger. I thanked her after she was done and finished my coffee, then got up and washed the mug.

"Listen Val, I'm sorry about last night" I said. I didn't remember everything clearly but the look on her face when she saw Matt was unforgettable. I feel so guilty about it, I was trying to help her forget about him and instead I just pushed him her way. Instead of helping her get rid of some pain I just rubbed salt into her wound. I felt like a shitty friend.

"Sorry about what?" She asked. "The whole thing with Matt. I don't remember everything that happened last night but I screwed up" I said "I'm sorry" I added and looked down. I was ashamed. How stupid do I need to be to call her ex to pick us up?! "It's okay," she said, I raised my gaze to her, she was smiling but there was something sad in her eyes. "You didn't know what you were doing" she added. Then there was an awkward silence.

"Uhh, what happened? I mean, last night, with Matt" I asked unsure. "I don't remember it all. It's all like, blurry, ever since he got there" I looked at her. She sighed. "Well," she started but never really continued. "What do you remember?" she asked a minute later.

I sat there trying to think of what I remember from last night. I remember the phone call, and then another one. I remember her standing there frozen and I remember seeing him. I remember the awkward silence and the tension in the air. I remember feeling uncomfortable. Then I remember walking, falling and fearing. I remember being dragged to the car and…then I was back at home.

"Well, nothing happened after that" she said after I told her what I remembered. She had a sad face. I looked at her questioning; there was no need for me to speak to make her go on. "You fell asleep in the car; he drove us to your house and less than a second after we got out of the car he disappeared. He didn't say anything the whole ride he just ignored me" Her voice wasn't shaking and her eyes were dry. And I knew it tears her up inside. I wrapped her in a hug and whispered I'm sorry one more time.

"Well I should go take a shower" I said a few minutes later. She nodded, "Yeah and I better get going" she said. I smiled and got up, walking her over the door. We hugged goodbye. "Thanks Johnny" she said as she opened the door. "What for?" I asked confuse. "Everything. For being there for me" she said smiling. "Any time, that's what friends are for" I smiled back and she started walking away.

I yawned and put a hand on my face, my head was still aching. I walked over the door to close it. As soon as I reached it I saw something outside. I blinked and looked around but saw nothing. I started closing the door when all of the sudden Matt appeared in front of my face. I was going to ask him where the fuck he came from but his eyes told me to shut up. So I did. Then he pushed me into the house and caught me by the throat. He was choking me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Again, sorry for the lack of updates. I'll try to update more often I promise. Thanks for reading ^^