Fatal Attraction

Disappearance

Image
Maddy was sleeping on the couch in the living room, while Edward watched a movie. Edward watched as the door opened and her father walked in. Chris looked like he hadn't slept in weeks. The bags under his eyes were a deep shade of black. At first glance, he could almost pass as a vampire. He had the shadows under his eyes, pale skin from lack of sun due to excessive amounts of work, and her father was good looking as well.

"How was work?" Edward said, tossing a fake cough in.
"It was good-- Feeling any better?"
"Nope-- I called my father. He told me to just keep taking my medication. I should be fine." Edward said, hoping his lies convinced her father.

He watched as Chris ran a hand through his hair. "Did Aaron happen to call here?"
"No."
"We saw him at the movies though." Edward said bitterly.
"You saw him last night then?" Chris ask.
"Yeah-- when we were purchasing tickets. He came and talked to Maddy."

Chris sighed, as he walked over and gently woke his daughter up. She closed, and reopened her eyes several times, and a yawn escaped her mouth. "What is it?" She ask.

"Did Aaron say anything to you last night?"

Maddy rubbed her eyes, "No. . . He just thought I might have changed my mind about him and I being a couple. Why?" Maddy ask.

He father sighed, "His mother called in around two in the morning. He didn't come home-- and his friends don't know where he vanished too." Chris said.
"He's probably with some girl." Maddy said.

She knew Aaron was irresponsible about calling home. He always left his mom hanging when they went out.

"I don't know. . . with all of these disappearances. It's got the whole town scared when someone doesn't go home-- especially someone as young as Aaron."

Edward was sitting on the couch, soaking up all the details of what her father was saying, and also what Alice had told him. He knew what it sounded like-- but he could only hope he was wrong.

"You'll have to excuse me-- I promised to phone back home." He said, getting up from the couch and walking up the stairs.

Edward walked into the bedroom and closed the door behind him. Before he could even go over to the shelf to pick up the phone. It was ringing. He smiled, knowing Alice was already ahead of him.

"What do you wanna talk to me about?" Alice's voice ask.
"I think there may be vampires here-- like not just a coven, but I think newborns are being created. That would explain the missing people."
"Yes, that would also explain some of the blanks in my visions-- I was never actually looking for newborns."
"Have a talk with Carlisle about it, I'm going to go out tonight and see what I can dig up." Edward said.
"Want me to send Jasper?"
"I may need him actually. Think he can make it by midnight?"
"Sure can. You take care of him." Alice said.

Edward chuckled, Alice was always so concerned for Jasper's safety. She sometimes forgot how strong he was. Edward hung up the phone with his sister and walked down the stairs. He noticed Maddy was flipping through the channels and her father was nowhere in sight.

"Where's your dad?" He ask.
"Upstairs sleeping. He has to work again tonight." Maddy complained.

Edward sighed, as he walked over and took a seat beside her.

"Who did you call?"
"Alice."
"How come?"
"Uhm. . . well, I just wanted to check in-- but she said Jasper's upset, and he's coming here tonight to talk, I hope you don't mind."

Edward couldn't tell her the truth. He wouldn't make her scared. He didn't know if a army of newborns was being created or not, and until he found out the truth, then he wasn't going to worry her.

"What's wrong with Jasper?"
"I don't know-- Alice just said he needed a brother figure, and I'm the only one on this continent."
"He can actually come here?" She ask.

Edward chuckled, "Yes, he'll be here around midnight."
"I forgot how fast you guys are." She giggled.

She cuddled up against his chest once again and he smiled, as he ran his fingers through her hair. She was so important to him; and if there was vampires, especially newborns in Pennsylvania then he wanted to get her out as quickly as possible.

"Edward. . ."
"Hmm?"
"Do you think there's someone out there kidnapping people?" She ask.
"What do you mean?"
"Like-- do you think someone in Pennsylvania is just walking around and taking people hostage or something. I'm scared."
"I'm sure Aaron is fine." He mumbled.

She rolled her eyes, "I'm not worried about him, doofus. I'm worried about dad-- he's out there working every single night."
"I'm sure your father is going to be fine, love."
"You promise?"
"I can't promise that."

She sighed, "I wish life was easier. . ."
"It could be a lot easier for you if I wasn't around."
"That's nonsense. Since you've came into my life you won't believe the change I've saw in myself."

He burrowed his eyebrows together, "You've changed?"
"Mhm." She said looking into his eyes, "I'm happy. . . really happy."
"You wasn't happy before?"
"Not the least bit."

He smiled, as he leaned down and brushed his lips against hers. "I'm glad I can make you happy then." He said.

She grinned, and laid her head down on his chest. Edward once again ran his fingers through her hair. For now he would enjoy his time with her, but tonight he would need to search the entire town with Jasper to see if she's truly safe here.