Life Is Beautiful

006 .

“Mother! Stop it! Who was that outside?” Rebecca pushed herself away from her mother and sat on her bed.
Her mother shut the door behind her and sighed, “He’s a soldier.”
Rebecca’s eyes almost came out of her head, “Pardon?”
“He’s wounded. He’s not German, actually he’s American. Mr. Henry found him dodging German soldiers in the streets.”
Rebecca looked at her mother doubtfully and shook her head.
“Are you sure its not some sort of a trap for us? Someone figured out we’re hiding an-”
“He has a bullet in his side for Heavens sake Rebecca!” Her mother snapped at her and slid down the door, placing her head in her hands.
Rebecca rushed over to her mother and sat next to her, “I’m sorry mother. I didn’t know.”
Mrs. Straughten shook her head in her hands and looked up, “No, I’m sorry. You don’t know what’s going on.”
Her arm wrapped around her daughters small frame and tucked her head under her chin.
“There’s so much stress at this point. You might have a brother or sister, we’re taking in another person, the days are ticking by slower and slower. I’m so sorry honey.” Her mother kissed her forehead and hugged her tighter.
“What do you mean by might have a brother or sister? I thought you said you were positively pregnant.” Rebecca looked up at her mother and hoped that she wouldn’t have to give up the child.

“There is a problem to this child Rebecca. We’re in no condition for me to have this baby. He puts us all at extreme risk. Your fathers thinking of something, but I’m not sure what it is. Everything’s going to be just fine though, alright?”
Rebecca nodded and tucked her head against her moms chest, she listened to the sound of her heartbeat and felt more at ease.
The thoughts of losing a sibling were still running through her head, but calming down every few minutes.
There was a silence in her room, and all you could hear was the moans of pain from the solider and the panicked whispers of the rest of the family outside.
“Who is he?” Rebecca broke the silence and pressed her hands together.
“He’s American. He was shot near his ribs, and your fathers going to treat him up here. That’s as far as we know about him.”
“His name?” Rebecca was generally curious, but she felt almost a pull of curiousness whenever she thought of this one peculiar fellow.

“We don’t know, he doesn’t speak German as far as we know.”
Rebecca nodded and pressed her head against the door trying to make out the sounds coming from the outside.
“Hand me that.” She heard her fathers voice and the cling and clang of some tools.

“How long is he here for?” Rebecca’s mind was racing with questions about this soldier and she wanted answers.
“As long as it takes for him to be cured and escape back to his troop.”

Rebecca felt a small edge of happiness of her mothers answer, she wanted to meet this soldier before it was too late.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a filler , you likee ?