Status: Updates may not be as frequent as they used to, but this story will continue.

Facing The Future

-9-

Amelia was over the moon to know that she had been invited to my Mom’s with me. I think it’s exactly what she needed to hear after all the shit she’s been through. No sooner as I told her she was rambling on about what she was going to put in her overnight bag and whether or not she should take a gift or token of appreciation to give to my family in order to say thanks. I loved Amelia to bits, but damn it, she didn’t half get in a flap sometimes.

******************

Thursday flew by and before Amelia and I both knew what had hit us, Friday had rolled around. After college, we got back home, took it in turns for a shower, got changed and finally Amelia had chance to sort her overnight bag out. I threw a change of underwear, my face wipes; make up, pyjamas and a change of clothes into my rucksack. When Amelia appeared at the bottom of the stairs, I honestly thought she packed enough stuff for a week’s holiday. God knows what was in that bag, but you know what, I didn’t care. She was quite obviously excited and I wasn’t about to put a dampener on things.

“You ready honey?” I asked Amelia without really needing to know what the answer to that was.

“I so am, are you?” she replied, grinning from ear to ear.

“Yep; just got to lock everything up and then we’re off.” I replied as I proceeded to check all the plugs in the house were switched to off (another one of my OCD-ish moments) and then shut the blinds in the kitchen and the living room. Finally we got out the front door and I locked it behind us. We were looking forward to tonight or what?

******************
One night turned into two at Mom’s. We had such a great time Friday night that we (well I; Amelia hadn’t got a great deal of choice in the matter) decided to stay over on Saturday night too. Friday was the ultimate girly night. My Mom, you see, is a great girlfriend as well as a wonderful Mom. After eating a sumptuous meal of homemade lasagne and lemon sorbet for afters, I urged Alex, my Mom and Amelia to get settled whilst I cracked open two bottles of red wine. The film for the night was ‘Dumb & Dumber’; a film we’d seen and laughed at so many times before.

We didn’t see much of the film this time round however; we were too busy talking away and before we knew it the end credits were rolling. No one seemed to care. I zoned out at one point and looked on as my Mom, Alex and Amelia were chatting like they’d always been family. I smiled and gave silent thanks to my Mom and Sister for pulling Amelia in; for treating her like part of our family. It’s something I knew she would sincerely appreciate after what she’d gone through and I knew Mom and Alex weren’t acting out of pity.

******************

After eating a huge cooked breakfast (one of my Mom’s specialities), Amelia and I got our stuff together and washed before saying goodbye. It was 11:00am on Sunday morning and I’d got a shift at The Gargoyle at 1:00pm so I really needed to get back and sort myself out before heading back out again.

My Mom was a little choked up when we left, as was Alex. I promised her that I would keep in touch with her a lot more and told her that I would always need her and love her. I told her to pass on my love to Dad too. I couldn’t forget about Dad now could I?

Amelia was pretty quiet on the walk back home and in all honesty, I was quite happy to let it be. I knew she was thinking about this weekend and I just hoped they were happy thoughts. I’m sure they were.

On opening the front door to our house, we both threw our bags down and sauntered through to the kitchen. Amelia sat herself up on the work surface next to me as I flicked on the coffee percolator in order to make us each a hot drink. Silence ensued for a little while longer apart from the noise of her legs swinging back and forth against the cupboards underneath where she was sitting and the hissing, coughing and spluttering coming from the percolator.

“Molly?” asked Amelia.

“Yes honey?” I replied.

“I just don’t know how to thank you and your family for making me feel normal again. I’ve had such a wonderful weekend and it really has made me forget about my own shitty family. Thank you so much.” As Amelia spoke, I noticed a solitary tear slowly sliding down her right cheek. She wouldn’t look directly at me so I lifted her chin with my right hand and smiled at her.

“You know Amelia,” I said, still smiling, “It’s the most fun I’ve had for a very long time and I know for a fact that my Mom and Sister think exactly the same. You’ve just fit right in like you’ve always meant to be there.”

“Really?” said Amelia as her voice finally cracked with a sob.

“Yes, really. You have no need to worry about anything at all whilst we’re together. We all love you. You’re my best friend in the whole world and you mean everything to me.”

Amelia jumped down from the work surface to the side of me and wrapped her arms around me. This was one of those hugs that could’ve stopped your blood pumping. I hugged her tightly back.

“You know what?” I said to Amelia.

“What?” she answered.

“I’m going to try and get out of my shift today. I’m sure I’ll be able to swap with someone. Let’s finish this weekend off properly.”

I pulled back from the hug as Amelia let out an excited giggle and bounded into the living room. As the percolator shunted and rattled notifying me that the coffee had finally brewed, I looked out the window in front of me and saw Molly’s face, smiling, looking straight back at me. I smiled back and took comfort in the fact that I knew everything was going right so far.

(1'062 words)

So, because we're not able to use the author's notes box now, I just want to say sorry that this chapter has taken so long to get to you. There's been a lot going on. Remember fellow Mibbians, I live for feedback!