Status: Slowly Active. See what's going on with my stories at http://twitter.com/Mappiesmibba

Moonflowers

Chapter 2

We swiftly traveled away from my fathers study, but before we went back down to the storage room, a made a quick detour to my room to retrieve my father’s silver sword. My father had always wished me to be a boy so he often gave me gifts like that. I had many weapons, but I was best with a sword. I attached the sword to the leather belt that sat tightly on my hips. “Aliegh?” I heard Spencer calling. I quickly gathered up my bow and ran out of my room, meeting Spencer in the hall. He placed his hand on the small of my back, ushering me towards the storage room. It was a good thing Spencer was a friend, because he could have been executed for touching me with such force if anyone saw.

I could understand, though, why he was in such hurry. The later it got the more likely they were to attack. These creatures seemed to thrive on the darkness. I couldn’t help but be intrigued by them. It almost scared me how I wasn’t afraid of them. I just wanted to know more and more about them. It didn’t confuse me why everyone was afraid of them, I could see why they were feared, but didn’t anyone else wonder how these strange hybrids came into being?

Spencer and I entered the storage room, walking at a fast pace to the back. I looked around to make sure everyone was present, and they were. “Well then, I suppose now is the time.” They nodded and soon all the candles were out and everyone was very quiet. We all took time to have our eyes adjusted before Spencer and I led the men to the Stables, where we equipped them with anything that was left over, along with a few knives and such, we’d found in the kitchen. I was currently helping Spencer with his armor. I had laughed early at his attempts to put it on, and decided that teasing him wasn’t being very helpful. “Are you nervous?” I asked laughing as I saw his shaking hands, trying to make light of the tense moment. He shook his head.

“Not in the slightest,” he said, involuntarily gulping. I laughed again and patted his shoulder, after I had completed putting on all his armor.

“How do I look?” he asked, looking a little unsure of himself.

I smiled, “You would make all of my father’s knights jealous,” I said. He grinned, and I saw a bit a pink rise into his cheeks. I looked in admiration at my dear friend. He was probably the only I have had in my lifetime, and he may be the only one. But if I were to die with only one friend, I would wish it to be him. He was so easy to get along with, and though I didn’t always treat him well, he was always there for me.

“Are you prepared, m’lady?” I heard Franklin ask. I looked at him for a moment, as if I hadn’t quite translated the question yet.

“Oh, yes. ” I said, finally understanding, “Franklin, you will take the storage room entrance, Spencer you’ll take the gate to the castle, and I shall take the city entrance,” I said. Franklin nodded, but I could tell he was not happy with my being up front. “Let us go,” I said and we all began to walk. Franklin walked up ahead of Spencer and I, probably because he sensed Spencer’s unhappiness.

“I do not feel comfortable with you being up front,” He said. I rolled my eyes. Deep, deep down, I’m sure I really appreciated his thoughtfulness, but at this time, all I really wanted to do was get through this.

“I appreciate your concern, but I will still be standing at the city gates.” I said, walking briskly out of the castle, towards Triton, who was tied to a pole in the castle courtyard. I looked back at Spencer, who definitely wanted to protest, but didn’t say anything. “Oh, and take this,” I said, throwing him the whistle before mounting Triton. “Farewell, my friend.” I said, winking at him and galloping off to the city gates.

!!!!!!!!*!!!!!!!!

I sighed as I leaned my hard head against the stone cool walls that surrounded the city. My eyes were beginning to close, and I was starting to wonder why I had even planned for us to switch shifts. Obviously, that wasn’t going to happen.

I was so bored. I had my bow ready to shoot, my sword was ready to smite, and my eyes were keen and ready for anything that was about to hit me, but nothing had come so far. I had been listening so closing for hours, but nothing had happen, and now, I suppose, my ears were closing up from listening so hard. My breathing was starting to become slower and my body was begging me for sleep. I wasn’t used to such un-princess-like behavior. I had never had to stay up all night before and I don’t think my body was prepared for such a feat.

My body was becoming less tense by the minute, and there was nothing I could do about it. I fluttered my eyes closed and breathed deeply, but I became fairly awake when I felt a burst of wind suddenly struck against me. I stood on my feet firmly. I brought my sword out from its sleeve and prepared myself for whatever was coming. Unfortunately, I wasn’t prepared for whatever snaked an arm around my waist and covered my mouth. “Don’t move,” it hissed into my neck. I was frozen in my place, from fear or his ice clod breath, I was not certain. The next few movements were all on adrenaline I didn’t know I had. I plunged the sword in the stranger’s stomach, hearing him grunt in pain and immediately set up my bow again shooting straight to the castle door, only seconds later hear the loud whistle. I looked over at the stranger, and then wished I hadn’t. It was just as the people had explained. He was like a ghost in the night, his skin pale, eyes red, but the thing I noticed most was how absolutely stunning this monster was. He looked up at me and hissed as I backed up into Triton, who was much more afraid than I was. The man pulled the sword from his stomach and yelled out, “Now!” and about thirty of the same monsters appeared from above the city walls. My eyes were wide as I quickly mounted Triton and sent him into a gallop. My heart was beating out of my chest and I was pushing Triton to go as fast as he could, but they were still on our tails. I could hear and see people in the city starting to awake from the commotion, and silently begged god, if there was one, to let them just chase after me.

I looked behind me, another mistake on my part, to see them all within two feet of Triton and I. They could run so fast! I turned back around in my seat and saw that Spencer had left his post already, meaning that my servants should be safe, along with my people. I felt the knees of Triton buckle and I screamed in terror as I looked behind me to see the vampires had pounced on him, sinking their teeth into him. I jumped from the seat, loosing my sword and bow in the process. I first heard my weapons fall to the ground, but I wasn’t prepared for the impact that hit my body as I fell. My lungs seemed to close up, causing me to loose oxygen to the rest of my body. All I could hear was my slowing heartbeat; all I could see was blurred figures. And though I knew that I was in a difficult situation, I didn’t feel the slightest bit worried. I had never felt so relaxed in my life. I wonder is this how death feels? Was I dying? Was this the end? I felt my eyes grow tired again, and I felt no hesitation in closing them this time. I was met with blackness.

!!!!!!!*!!!!!!!

Oh my head. The pain in my forehead was so enormous that I couldn’t think about anything else. Behind me I could hear loud arguing and the pain in my head combined with the annoying loud voices made me groan as I brought my head to my head, where a wet towel was placed.

“You have woken her up!“ One of the voice’s exclaimed, one I didn’t recognize. I tried to blink my eyes open to see who was speaking, but I couldn’t find the strength, instead I just groaned as second time as I felt a body come close to me. The second I breathed in the smell of the person I knew it was familiar. That was…someone’s smell. This time I really tried to open my eyes and they fluttered open. At first everything was blurry, but then I recognized the face so close to mine as Spencer’s. I shot up immediately and looked around. We were in my room. It was still dark outside and a fire was lit in my fireplace. “Spencer!” I exclaimed, wrapping my arms around him. If he was here, in my room, alive, then I must be alive too. I felt his arms wrap around me too, but I pulled away a few seconds later. “What happened?” I asked, sitting back down onto the bed. Spencer cleared his throat.

“Well, I do not know actually.” He said, biting his lip nervously. I gave him a strange look.

“But did you not save me? ” I said, Spencer began to answer but he was interrupted.
“You shouldn’t be so modest, my fine fellow,” said a tall dark haired man, that look rather…ragged. His hair was dirty and in disarray. His chin was unshaven as the starts of a dark beard grew. He was very muscular, his large arms showing through the tattered clothes. All in all he looked like a peasant, but a very handsome peasant. Did he come to my rescue?

“Who are you?” I questioned rather accusingly, giving him an unsure look. The man chuckled and bowed lowly, in mock.

“Sir Brendon Urie, at your service, your majesty.” He said looking up at me from where he stood, a grin on his face
.
“A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Sir Urie.” I said to be polite, because I wasn’t positive if I should trust him yet.

“Oh no, the pleasure is all mine.” He said bringing my hand to his lips, which I quickly pulled away. He chuckled and stepped away from me.

“Can you give me an explanation of why you are here Mister Urie?” I asked him, calmly.

“He says he’s here on business, M’lady,” Spencer chimed in, “He says he has something for you.” I nodded a Spencer, smiling at him gratefully.

“Well, would you like to present me with this ‘something’ I’m sure you know fair well, Mister Urie, that it is very late and I am quite tired.” I said, perhaps it was a little frank, but I was very tired.

“Pardon me your majesty. I apologize for keeping you up, but I do believe it is of dire importance that I speak to you,” Mister Urie said, “Preferably,” he looked at Spencer as if he didn’t belong, something that already made me dislike him. Spencer was just as good as everyone else, if not better. “Alone,” he finished, obviously wanting Spencer to leave the room. Spencer looked at me, waiting for my answer. I sighed,
“Spencer, please step out of the room for a moment,” I said, regretfully. He did as I said, but looked back at me for a moment. I smiled at him softly, and he smiled back, leaving the room.

Brendon smiled at me, and I made a small attempt to smile back. “Now, on to your business here.” I said. He nodded a pulled out a piece of parchment, handing it to me. It was an envelope, sealed with red wax, displaying the initials JM. I opened the envelope, pulling out the yellow piece of parchment. The letter read:

To the royalty of The Northern Kingdom:
It has come to my attention that you are have been experiencing difficulties with the vampires, and that you have failed to contact our nation, The Eastern Kingdom, for aid. I find it saddening that you have failed to come to us first, but nevertheless, we wish to aid you in your battle to stop them. We have a great advantage against these creatures for our experts have been studying them for years and years, and we have found that they are fairly easy to defeat when you know their weaknesses. What I am offering to you is a piece treaty, between The North and The east. If you accept we will be greatly pleased, but if you decline, know you have made a grave mistake.
Sincerely,
King James Matthews

X_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


I thought about it for a moment looking at the letter again. The king had signed the paper in his own blood, meaning that this treaty was unbreakable until the day of the king’s death. He was serious about this. I looked up a Brendon. If all he was going to do was give me the parchment then why did he want me alone? My hand instantly went to the dagger that was on my belt. Brendon seemed to notice the raise in defense. He put his hands up in defense.

“Miss, there’s no reason to be alarmed. All my people are asking for is an alliance,” He said backing up a bit, “We want to help you in your quest to destroy the vampires.” I gave him a look of uncertainty. I had the dagger in its sleeve, but if he attempted anything, I would be ready for him.

“So, Mister Urie, clearly we are benefitted by your aid, but how does this alliance benefit your party?” I questioned. Brendon cleared his throat.

“Well, we feel that our army is low on men from our last spat with the vampires, leaving us almost defenseless. In time my king had hoped to unite our two kingdoms.”

“Meaning…” I knew what was coming.

“A marriage, yes.” I rolled my eyes.

“Well, my king had known the queen and king of the North had a daughter, he just was uncertain of an age. ” he said. I nodded, moving my hands away from the dagger and clenched them together in front of me.

“Well, Mister Uire, we will have to discuss this tomorrow, with my parents,” I said,

“Spencer will show you out, but I would highly suggest staying the night, especially if you are traveling through the forest,” I finished. Brendon smirked.

“Oh, well that is an offer that I must accept,” He said. Spencer had just then slipped into the room.

“Pardon me for the interruption, m’lady, but I was starting to worry,” Spencer said, glowering at Brendon. I smiled at him.

“Thank you for the worry, Spencer. You’re actually just in time,” I said, smiling at him,
“Will you please escort Sir Urie to one of our extra rooms?” I said smiling sweetly. I knew Spencer wasn’t happy with it, but he obliged.

“I give you my thanks,” he paused and bowed lowly, winking at me, “Your highness.” I rolled my eyes and singled Spencer to take him out and He did so gladly.

“We will leave to meet my father’s men around mid-day!” I called after them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Update number two today!
Yay!
Comment? Subscribe? Banners?
I'll love you.

XoXo Mappie