A Ghostly Romance

Chapter Two

After my long walk home in the pouring rain, about a mile, I finally reached my house. My hair and clothes were dripping with water. I reached for the lanyard of my school ID where I usually kept my keys, but the rain drops that covered my glasses made it impossible to see anything.

I reached for my glasses and quickly wiped them on my wet sweater, which only left annoying, wet streaks in my view. I tried to ignore the streaks and reached for my lanyard again, only to find that it was lighter than usual. No keys were attached to my lanyard today. No wonder it felt strange when I didn't hear the clanking sounds my house keys made whenever they hit each other.

My parents shouldn't be home yet...I mumbled a few obscenities before stepping back into the rain. Maybe I left my window open. I walked to the side of the house to find my bedroom window opened, just the teensiest bit. I quickly slid the window up, and threw my wet book bag onto the floor before slipping inside.

My bedroom wasn't messy as it usually was. Instead, my room was filled with labeled boxes. Clothes. Movies. CDs. Shoes. My posters were taken down, leaving the room feeling empty. Along the wall, the rectangular piece of carpet that was lighter than the rest of the floor showed where my bed used to be.

I sighed. I haven't even been at my school for very long, only a year and a half, and I was moving again. It wasn't really the moving that bothered me, even though I would never be able to see my faraway crush Kevin anymore, it was the fact that my parents didn't really give any explanation as to why we were moving.

The last time we moved was because of me. I was having problems making friends at school and I would do anything to get them to notice me. I shook my head before the complete memories filled my mind. That's the last thing I wanted to remember. I sighed and looked at myself in the full-length mirror, something I hardly ever did...lately, anyway. My black hair was put up in a messy pony tail, the blue streaks complimenting my blue eyes, probably the only feature I really liked about myself. The new nose ring I put in looked really nice, but I decided I'd better stop looking before I found the qualities I hated about myself.

"Are you here Dani?" My mom knocked on my door before letting herself in. "Bring your boxes into the van. We're going to leave soon. It's not going to be too far away. But, you're still going to want to bring something to do in the car, okay?"

I nodded and started bringing my boxes to the van. I only had five boxes and loaded them quickly. Luckily, my parents made an earlier trip and put the rest of our stuff in the new house I haven't seen yet.

"Let's hit the road!" My dad said, honking the horn.

I got into the back seat and buckled my seat belt, ready for the hour and a half journey. Most of the time, I contented myself with reading the billboards that passed or messing with the ends of my hair. About an hour into the trip, we stopped by Wendy's and grabbed some shakes before continuing on our way. Just as I felt my eyes beginning to droop, I heard my mom say, "We're here."

I opened my eyes to see the old-looking house. It was from the early 1900s, I remember my mom telling me earlier. Although it was old, it was in fairly good condition and I couldn't wait to start exploring.
♠ ♠ ♠
If you have any advice, I'm willing to hear it!
Comments make me happy :)