A Ghostly Romance

Chapter Twenty-Three

*****MICHAEL'S POV*****

I quickly focused on my entire body and pulled Dani close to me, giving her the Heimlich maneuver. 

"Don't do this to me, Dani!" I tried the Heimlich and after a couple tries the pills flew from her mouth and fell onto the floor. I gently lay her in her bed but she didn't wake. She was as still as she was when I first picked her up. I shook her shoulders. "Dani?!"

I pressed my fingers on her neck and checked for a pulse. There wasn't one.   

I tilted her face upwards and parted her lips slightly. I pressed my lips against hers and blew into her mouth, hoping CPR would work. I pressed her chest three times before repeating it five more times. She didn't respond. I desperately tried a few more times and finally gave up. She was...dead. I noticed the book she had shown me earlier. Maybe there's something in there! Not even a second passed when the book slid across the floor and into my hands. 

I scanned the table of contents and saw a chapter on reviving a soul mate. I flipped to the page and read it quickly: "Soul mates are two parts of a whole. If one takes action immediately before the other is reborn, he or she can revive their partner and he or she can continue living in their current body. Based on present information, a Protector cannot revive their soul mate IF it is part of the Task unless Fate has given the Protector a certain amount of time to do so. As stated before, a Protector's Task is never known until it has passed."

I looked at Dani and pulled her into my arms. You can't die now, Dani. Please. I looked at my hand which was fading. If I can go through walls, maybe I can...I cleared my mind and let my hand dissolve, then my entire body. Since Dani was laying on me, she fell over me and I hesitantly entered her body as she slumped to the ground. 

Soul mates are two parts of a whole, I thought. Slowly and carefully, I focused on not only my molecules, but hers. I began putting myself together and eventually, i had taken possession of her body. Her heart began pumping blood through her body as I controlled everything. It felt weird to have a heart beat again. Within seconds I had gained feeling in my legs and arms. That's good, I thought. That means the brain is working. I continued pumping her heart until I was sure the autosomatic system was check again. Slowly I dissolved again and left her body. 

I watched Dani hoping that this would work. Did I wait too long? I looked at her alarm clock and saw that only three minutes had passed since I found Dani. Time feels like an eternity when you think you're going to lose a loved one. I continued watching her carefully for ten minutes and felt for her pulse. Still beating, steady and strong. I calmed down and carefully lifted Dani onto her bed. I quickly put all the pills back into their bottles and put them in her parents' medicine cabinet. 

I went back into Dani's room and shook my head. 

"What were you thinking, Dani?" I sighed, exhausted. 

I've done more in three minutes than I had in five years. I didn't even know I could do that. Against my better judgment, I lay next to Dani. Well, floating or hovering would be a better word to use. I wasn't actually touching her bed. I moved some strands of hair from her face. 

She slowly opened her eyes and looked right at me, a dazed look in her eyes. 

"Michael, what happened?" she whispered, a little out of it. "I was going to try to-"

"You just dreamt it," I said.

"But-" Her eyes slowly looked around the room. When she didn't find the pills she nodded and looked over my face, then at my hand. "I was about to do something crazy, Michael. Don't leave me alone again."  

I nodded and focused on my hand. I placed it over hers and slowly brought it to my lips. I kissed it and placed it on the bed between us. "Go to sleep, Dani. You look exhausted."

"You do, too," she said, yawning. "You look like you're fading or something."

I laughed quietly. "I'm dead. What do you expect?"

Her eyes closed and she smiled. "I guess you're right, but I that doesn't make a difference to me. I love you."

With that, she fell asleep. It wasn't until I heard her stop breathing that I realized how comforting that sound was to me. It was the best sound on this planet. 

"I love you, Dani, and I always will." Focusing on my lips, I kissed her mouth softly so I wouldn't wake her. 

I looked at my hand which was transparent. I glanced at my body which was nothing but a fine mist. I felt strange. Very weak. Maybe I did more than I was actually capable of...I looked at Dani and was then engulfed in darkness.    
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think? Leave comments, etc. Hope you enjoyed. Keep reading! <3