Let's Not Ask Why It's Not Right

;22

After several hours of staring at the ceiling in self-pity, I decided to head over to Nick's house to ask him what had happened with him and Kaitlin earlier. I glanced at the clock. It was just a few minutes after eight. It wasn't too late to go over.

I left my room and headed to the kitchen to find some snacks to bring over to Nick's house. Thankfully, there was no chance of having to see Kaitlin; I'd heard her leave the house a few minutes ago. Probably to hang out with Tay or something.

I wondered if Tay knew that I loved Kaitlin. What if she'd figured it out? What if she told Kaitlin?

Ugh. If Kaitlin found out (well, assuming she hadn't already figured it out from the way she'd acted earlier today), I don't think I'd ever be able to face her again. Which would kind of suck, considering we live in the same house and all. Awkward.

I sighed, grabbed a bag of chips, and left the house. It didn't take long to walk to Nick's. When I got there, I opened the door without bothering to knock.

"Mom? You're home early," Nick's voice called from the living room, sounding a little panicked. He was probably drinking, and scared of his mom finding out.

"No, it's Tys-" I started to say, but I stopped when I entered the room.

I was right about one thing; he did have a beer in his hand. That was to be expected.

What I didn't expect was that, sitting next to him on the couch - pretty close, too - and also holding a beer, was Kaitlin.

"Kaitlin?" I said, surprised. "What are you doing here?"

"Watching a movie," she replied, gesturing to the TV in front of them. "I wanted to hang out with Nick alone, for once. Am I not allowed to do that?"

I winced at the sarcasm in her voice. "Yeah, sure. Whatever."

Her tone softened. "Sorry, Ty. That came out meaner than it should have."

Nick looked awkward. "Uh... Ty, you wanna watch too? It just started."

"Yeah, sure," I said, faking a smile. "I brought chips." I held up the bag.

"Awesome!" Kaitlin grabbed the chips from me. I laughed, and sat down beside her.

As we watched the movie, I kept shifting closer to Kaitlin, barely even noticing I was doing it. Everytime I caught myself, I'd tell myself that I wouldn't get any closer, but after another drink, I'd always end up getting closer anyway. She was getting closer to Nick, too; by the time the movie was halfway over, the three of us were practically cuddling. She had her head on his shoulder, and my head was tipped sideways, not quite on her shoulder, but resting against it. Maybe it should have been awkward, but she didn't seem to mind.

After Kaitlin finished her fourth beer, she got up and stretched, then asked Nick where the bathroom was. He gave her directions, and she skipped off down the hall. I yawned and layed down, resting my head in Nick's lap.

"Do you like Kaitlin?" I asked without thinking.

"No," Nick said.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I like... someone else."

"Who?"

"Just someone," he said.

I frowned, and was about to ask again, but Kaitlin appeared in the doorway.

"Ooh," she giggled, noticing that I was laying on Nick. "Am I interrupting something again?"

Yeah, but not the kind of thing you're thinking of, I thought.

"Of course not," I said, sitting up. Kaitlin sat between Nick and I again, and this time rested her head on my shoulder. I would have smiled, if my mind wasn't so busy thinking.

Just because he doesn't want to tell me who he likes doesn't mean he likes Kaitlin, I reassured myself. It could just be someone really embarrassing. Like his algebra teacher. Or Mike. Or that weird kid with the pet worm.

Of course it's not her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wheeeeee :D