Let's Not Ask Why It's Not Right

;38

"So who are we hanging out with?" Kaitlin asked as we ate breakfast.

"Well, we're hanging out at Nick's house, but he might have to go out later, and I think Chris is coming, and maybe Mike."

"So basically, you have no idea," Kaitlin laughed.

I nodded. "Pretty much."

I finished my coffee and set my cup down. "Ready to go?"

"I've been ready for the last twenty minutes. But someone had to take forever to drink their coffee," she said playfully.

I pouted. "It was REALLY hot!" I protested.

She giggled and kissed me quickly. "Okay, I forgive you. Let's go."

I pushed open the door of Nick's house without knocking, as usual, and headed into the living room.

"Oooooh," I said, grinning, as my eyes took in the scene in front of me.

Nick and Tay broke apart in mid-kiss, both blushing.

"Awwww," Kaitlin said from behind me.

"I'm going to go... make some drinks," Tay said, getting up from the couch and heading into the kitchen.

"I'll help," said Kaitlin, following her into the kitchen.

I dropped down on the couch beside Nick.

"So, are you and Tay going out now?" I asked, feeling a little like a giggly thirteen-year-old girl.

Nick grinned. "Yup."

I high-fived him. "Congrats, dude."

He laughed. "You too. We finally both have girlfriends!"

"That's probably the lamest statement ever," I joked.

"Probably," Nick agreed. "But really, it is kind of awesome."

"It is," I said. He grinned at me, and I wondered how I'd ended up with the world's most awesome best friend ever. I leaned over and kissed him gently. He smiled and gave me a quick hug.

"I'm going to pretend I didn't see that," said a voice from the doorway. We both looked up to see Mike standing there.

Nick laughed. "Oh, like you and Chris have never done that."

"Done what?" Kaitlin asked, appearing in the doorway.

"Nothing," I said, laughing.

Kaitlin and I didn't leave Nick's house until almost one a.m. When we got home, we both changed into our pajamas and curled up in my bed.

"I love you," I said, kissing her gently.

"Love you too, Ty," she replied, snuggling close. I smiled and kissed her hair, and soon we were both fast asleep.

I was woken up around 3:30 a.m. by the phone on my bedside table. I picked it up quickly before it could ring again.

"Hello?" I whispered, glancing over to make sure it hadn't woken Kaitlin up.

"Hey, Ty."

"Nick? What the fuck? Why are you calling this late?"

"Can I come over?" Nick asked, ignoring my question.

"Why?"

"Please, Ty," he said, and something had changed in his voice. He sounded like he was scared, or about to cry, or both.

"Okay. I'll meet you downstairs at the door."

"See you soon." He hung up the phone. I got out of bed and headed downstairs.

Nick soon showed up at the front door. I led him into the living room and turned on the light.

"Shit, you look awful," I said. His hair was a mess, his eyes were red and a little puffy, and he looked exhausted. I hugged him tightly. "What happened, Nick?"

He dropped down onto the couch. I sat next to him.

"My dad's been coming home drunk a lot lately. Him and my mom keep fighting. I was just kind of tired of listening to all the yelling and... other stuff. I was just wondering if I could stay the night here."

He was trying to act like he was okay, but I knew how close he was to his parents, and even if I didn't, his puffy red eyes would have been a giveaway. I could tell that this was affecting him badly, and that it was probably worse than he made it sound.

"Of course you can stay here," I said.

"Thanks," he whispered, blinking furiously, then wiping his eyes when a few tears escaped anyway.

I hugged him. "It'll be okay," I said softly. He buried his face in my shoulder, his body giving a small shudder as he held back a sob. I layed back on the couch, pulling him down beside me and wrapping my arms around him. "It'll be okay," I repeated, stroking his hair.

I continued to comfort him for a few minutes, until he went still and his breathing evened out. A small, selfish part of me wanted to go back upstairs to Kaitlin, but I doubted that I could get up without waking Nick, and besides, my best friend needed me right now. I looked at him; even in his sleep he looked stressed out and upset. I pulled him closer, and, after what seemed like hours of lying awake worrying, I fell asleep once again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that this chapter ended up being more about Nick than Tyson, I just wanted to give Nick a bit of a storyline, cause it kind of seemed like he was just there.
I hope y'all liked it anyway ^^