Let's Not Ask Why It's Not Right

;41

Just try.

Tell her that you want to stay here.


That’s all I had to do, just say those five simple words. I want to stay here. Gee, thanks for the words of encouragement Tyson but it’s easier said than done. It’s not as if he’s the one doing it. I gave a sigh, I couldn’t really blame my boyfriend for my mother’s actions or decisions. This was all her fault.

As I nervously approached my mother, who was busy packing her things, I picked at the loose threads coming from the bottom of my pale purple jumper. I was nervous. I mean, I was about to attempt to stand up for what I wanted for the first time I could possibly remember.

“Mom?” I asked, causing her to stop and turn around.

“Kaitlin! I was just about to come get you. I’ve got us a nice house in Arizona,” she gushed.

Wow. And as usual, I was able to predict where my mother would move us to. I bet when it doesn’t work out there, we’ll move to Michigan or somewhere near there.

Katie, you have to stand up for what you want eventually.

“A-Actually, that’s what I wanted to talk to you about,” I muttered.

“What is it? How’s your packing coming? Do you need more boxes?”

“N-No, it’s not that-”

“Well, then what is it Kaitlin? We have to be gone in a few hours to make it to Arizona by Friday,” she interrupted.

“I don’t want to move,” I said softly, “I want to stay here, in Stillwater.”

“Oh Katie,” my mother slightly chuckled.

What was so funny about this situation? I saw nothing funny about living arrangements. This was a serious issue.

“Don’t you see? This is just another part of our adventure, it’ll be fun,” she continued.

There's houses for rent in Stillwater.

“No, Mom. I want to stay here. I’ve made so many good friends and, well, I really like it here. We could rent a place here, you know? Actually have a proper home and all that jazz,” I said, trying to muster a smile to seal the deal.

“You can make new friends in Arizona,” Mom sighed, “Katie, we can’t stay here. It wouldn’t work. I know it and you know it too. Remember? We tried this in Orlando and it didn’t work.”

True. We had tried this once before in Orlando, Florida with not much luck. My mother always thought she saw her ex everywhere which lead to her kind of getting depressed so we had to leave for her sake.

“I know, Mom, but this time it’s different. I hated Orlando. I don’t hate Stillwater,” I countered.

“Kaitlin, I know it’s tough but it’s for the best. I promise it will work out next time.”

Otherwise she'll put you through this over and over again.

“No, Mom, No! You’ve said that to me how many times over the past few years and guess what? You suck at keeping promises!” I said, raising my voice a tad.

“Kaitlin!” My mother shouted, “You’re coming with me whether you like it or not! You are not an adult just yet so you don’t get a say in where we live!”

“But Mom, this is completely unfair! It’s my life too!”

“Kaitlin Avery,” she warned.

The worst she can do is say no.

I sighed, “Mom, I want this more than anything. If we stay here, it can be my birthday and Christmas presents until I’m eighty! I just want to stay here. Can we stay, please?”

I could see the word I had been dreading to hear on the tip of her tongue, “No.”

“Now go finish packing. We’re leaving soon.”

“Okay,” I squeaked out, quickly turning and hightailing it to my bedroom so she couldn’t the tears forming.

I packed up the majority of my things and put them in the trunk of the car before sitting on my soon to be old bed to write a letter to Tyson. He was out, so was his father. She probably planned it this way. My hand scribbled down messily everything I thought and was feeling at that very moment before putting a few contact details in so he could at least try and continue the relationship if he wanted. I couldn’t put my new address down since I obviously didn’t know where I was headed, but no doubt it would be hard to contact by mail since we’d always be moving so I simply left him my AIM screen name, another copy of my cell number and a few email addresses.

My tongue sealed it shut with some of my saliva and I rested the shut envelope on his desk as my mother called me down to the car. I took a final glance around the house before I left and sat in the front passenger seat of the car.

I tilted my sunglasses on and fixed the earphones into my ears, leaving Stillwater the same way I entered it, against my will.
♠ ♠ ♠
D: