Your Words Are Nothing but Overdramatic Echos

Chapter Two

I walked heel-toe to my walk in closet. I hoped there would be clothes there that were my style, and not my dad's idea of my style.

I slipped on a green plaid tee and dark skinny jeans. I slipped my neon and zebra print Nikes.

I grabbed my backpack and snatched a granola bar. I was almost late after putting makeup on. My dad drove me to school, an ackward conversation on the rise.

"Have a good day at school, honey," he said, dropping me off. I walked directly to the main office.

The plump office worker behind the desk was working with a tall brown haired boy with sideswept bangs and beautiful brown eyes. I shot a smile towards them.

"Honey, how may I be of assistance?" The office worker asked.

"I'm new here," I said, handing my note to her.

"Okay then, come on over here and stand beside Mason," She said walking to her desk. I walked slowly towards the 5'9 beauty. I stood beside him, my small 5'4 body looking more like a shadow than another person.

"Here is your schedule, and I'm sure you can find someone to help you if you get lost," The woman said, walking back to her desk after handing me my "care package".

Mason cleared his throat.

"Oh, yes, Mason. You may be excused now."

"Thank you, Mrs. Garbus," He said, in a beautiful tone.

I feel cliche', calling a teenaged boy 'beautiful', but there were no other words to describe him.

"Comeon, I'll show you around," He said, smiling down at me. God, that's a gorgous smile. I smiled back up at him and he held the door to the main hall for me.

"Thanks," I said, after he caught up with me.

"No problem, I'm Mason, I didn't catch your name. Apparently Mrs. Garbus thinks your name is 'honey'." He said laughing. I would pay every nickel I had for him to call me honey again.

"I'm Millie," I said smiling up at him.

"Hi Millie," He said, surprisingly hugging me, not shaking hands,"Hand me your schedule."

I passed my schedule to him, him counting classes to himself.

"Well..." Mason said, smiling,"Seem's we're going to be well aquainted."

"How many?"

"All of them," He said, passing the schedule to me, then looking at my locker number,"Locker's are beside each other, too."

"That's strange," I said laughing.

"Why is that?"

"It's just that my friend back home used to believe in signs, pretty crazy stuff," I said, opening my locker, embarrassed.

"Oh, I believe in signs too," he said, leaning on his locker and smiling. He was trying to be smooth.

"Oh really, and why is that?" I asked him, smiling and putting my stuff in it, neatly.

"Eh, I don't really know why," He said, smiling down at me. I grabbed my stuff and he grabbed his, then we walked to class. I handed my note to my first teacher, Mrs. Gibson.

"Hi Millie, you can take a seat next to Mason," She said, smiling.

"Thank you, Mrs. Gibson," I said smiling to her, then walking to Mason's table. They were the tables put together. We started our class, English. The assignment was to write a short letter to our partner. I looked up and smiled at Mason while grabbing my pen.

I wrote:

'Hey,

I guess we're supposed to tell each other about ourselves, so here I am. I'm 17 years old. My parents divorced when I was 3, and my mom has an evil stepfather. I won't go into detail about why I think he's evil, not until I get to know you better, at least.
I moved here from Virginia two days ago. I'm really into music, I play the piano and guitar.
I guess that's all, I'm really boring.

Sincerely,
Mille.'

Mrs. Gibson announced that it was time to exchange, Mason handing me his, then I gave him mine, him keeping his hand on top of mine for a little bit more than needed. I smiled, then started reading it.

'Hey,

I'm 18 years old, I'm in a band. I have 3 brothers and love my parents to death. I play guitar and sing with my friends.
I'm extremely boring, so I don't know how you could be interested in me as a friend.

Signing off,
Mason.'

"Now I would like you to talk quietly," Mrs. Gibson said.

"Wanna come to prom with me?" Mason asked, as we quietly got our stuff together.

"Sure, but when's prom?"

"In two weekends," He said, smiling.

"Sure. I'll go get a dress later, thanks for being such a good friend," I said, grabbing my books and standing up to leave after the bell.

"Great," He said smiling. I grabbed a pen out of my bag and grabbed his hand. I wrote my cell number down, then put the cap on the pen and walked away smiling.

"Hi, I'm Opal, you must be Millie," A girl said, coming up to me and shaking my hand,"It's so great you're here, I noticed your style...and I saw you with Mason Musso! Congrats!"

"What? Why should I be congradulated?"

"Mason won't give any girls in the school the time of day, you know, except you," She said, sighing.

"Oh, so are you my welcoming comittee?"

"No, I just thought you could use a friend. Being new in this shit-hole with all these fat ass preps can be a little risky."

"Thanks," I said smiling and chuckling.

"So what'd Mason ask you?"

"To prom," I said smiling.

"You should go!" She said, encouragingly.

"I am, wanna come dress shopping with me tomorrow?"

"Sure, I need to get a dress!" She said smiling.

Me and my new best friend, Opal, walked down the hallways to my next class.