Status: Completed - Working on a Sequel.

Love Is a Losing Game

Chapter 15

With their fingers laced together at their side, Angie and Brian walked along Main Street with smiles on their faces. They had just left the Sugar Shack after lunch together, their eighth date.

“It’s a shame we both have work to do now.” Angie mused as they neared the bar.

“Yeah, a nice leisurely walk along the beach would be just perfect right now.” Brian replied with a smile.

“Work sucks.” She replied with a pouting lip.

“Yep. So lets say fuck it and do a runner!” he replied with a large grin as he seized her other hand in his.

“Hmm, as nice as that sounds, we can’t.” she replied smiling.

“Meanie.” He replied pouting out his lips childishly.

“I know, but how about we make a deal. When we win the lottery we’ll quit and do a runner.” She replied.

“Okay, guess I better start playing the lottery then.” He said with a chuckle as they walked into the bar. “But for now, I guess I better head up to Long Beach for this stupid fucking meeting.” He added with a disgruntled look on his face.

“Yeah, I’ve go stuff to do as well.” She replied as he turned the two of them so that they were facing each other.

“I’ll hopefully be back before you have to lock up, but if not-“

“I’ll call Matt! I know.” She interrupted with a smug grin.

“If I’m not back, I’ll see you for coffee in the morning.” He replied.

“Make sure there’s a bagel too.” she said with a teasing glint in her eyes.

“Don’t push it you.” he replied with a playful shove before he lowered his lips to meet hers.

“God can’t you two get a room?!” Neil yelled from somewhere behind the bar causing them to pull apart.

“Ignore him, he’s just cranky because Simon turned him down.” she whispered.

“I’ll talk to you later.” He said lowly before pecking at her lips again, winking at her as he walked away.

“If you need me, I’ll be in the office.” She said turning to talk to her bar staff.

Angie was so busy sorting out stock checks and orders that two hours had past when she was interrupted by the internal phone ringing.

“There’s a delivery up here for you.” Neil said as soon as she picked up.

“A delivery? But we’re not due a delivery until tomorrow? Who is it?” she replied with confusion.

“It’s not that kind of delivery, this ones a bit more personal.” He replied.

“Neil what are you on about?” she replied with more confusion.

“Just come up here.” He replied hanging up. With a sigh, Angie placed the phone back onto the desk and left the office. As she walked over to the main bar she was met with her bar staff grinning at her like Cheshire cats.

“What is it guys, seriously?” she asked.

“These arrived for you.” Scarlet said with a smile, stepping away to reveal a large bunch of flowers behind her.

“Oh my fucking God! Really? Are you sure they’re for me?” she asked with a widening grin as she got closer to the bar.

“We’ll you’re the only Angela around here aren’t you?” Neil replied with a large smile.

“I guess so.” She replied stepping around the bar to get a better look at the arrangement of lilies.

“There’s a card, but I guess we don’t really need that to know that Brian’s hoping to get lucky later.” Neil said, his tone becoming suggestive. Angie rolled her eyes as she took the card and opened it.

“You look beautiful as ever, Angel. You could do so much better than that dick.”
Angie stood still, her face paling as she re-read the note. Then suddenly she turned and ran to the sink, her stomach retching until her lunch re surfaced.

“Angie are you okay?” Scarlet asked quietly coming up behind her. “Here, have some water.” She added as she lifted her head and nodded.

“I take it they aren’t from Brian.” she asked nervously.

“No, they’re from David and from what he said in the note I think he’s been here.” She replied.

“What? Actually in the bar?” she asked as Angie gave a nod while taking a sip of the water.

“He’s seen me and he knows about Brian. He’s got to have been at the bar at some point.” she replied slowly.

“Oh god, I could have served him.” Scarlet said with a shiver. Angie lifted her head and stared at her for a moment.

“If he was here, he’d be on the security tapes.” She said with wide eyes as she placed the glass of water on the counter and made her way quickly towards the office with Scarlet behind her.

With her heart racing, she rewound the tapes before watching them in slow search, her eyes not leaving the screen as she watched customers enter and leave the bar.

“There he is.” She said suddenly pausing the tape to watch David enter the bar a few hours earlier.

“Him?” Scarlet asked quietly.

“Yeah, why?” she asked turning to face her.

“He’s been in a few times these past couple of weeks. In fact I think he’s still up there.” she replied.

“What?” Angie asked as she pressed the button on the remote to change the view back to real time.

“Yeah, he’s been coming in on a regular basis, always nice as pie. Good tipper. Look there he is.” She replied pointing at one of the screens. Angie’s heart leapt into her mouth as she saw him sat at a table with a drink in his hand, bold as brass.

Slowly she reached for her cell phone on the desk and dialled Matt’s number.

“What’s up sweetie?” he asked cheerfully.

“Any chance you can come over to the bar? I need your help.” She said quietly still staring at the screen.

“Sure, I can be there in five.” He replied.

“Thanks.” She said simply before hanging up.

“When Matt get’s here send him down will you.” she said turning to face Scarlet who nodded before leaving.

In the five minutes it took Matt to get to the bar, Angie’s eyes never once left the guy she’d hoped she’d never see again.

“Come in Matt.” She called at the sound of a light knock at the office door.

“Honey are you okay, you sounded quiet on the phone.” He asked as he closed the door behind him.

“He’s here.” She replied, still keeping her eyes on the screen.

“Who?”

“David, he’s here.” She replied simply.

“What? I’ll fucking go kill the bastard now.” He said with a growl as he turned back to face the door.

“Matt, as much as I’d love to be able to allow you to do that, you can’t. All I want you to do is tell him that he as to leave and that he’s not welcome back.” She replied. Matt stared at her in disbelief for a moment.

“That’s it Matt. Please. He’s sat at the back, opposite the pool table.” She replied sternly. He nodded and left, his hands clenching into fists as he climbed the stairs.

He hadn’t been told about everything that had gone on between Angie and this guy, but he knew enough to know that this guy had hurt her and that he was defiantly not welcome around here. Matt knew that he would need all his self restraint to get this guy to leave without hitting him.

“Excuse me sir.” He said politely as he approached the table. David looked up with a smile on his face.

“Yes.” he said calmly.

“I have been asked by management to ask you to leave.” Matt replied sternly.

“But why? Have I done something wrong?” he replied, the false shocked look on his face indicating that he knew exactly why he was being asked to leave.

“Management reserve the right to ask any customer to leave.” Matt replied.

“But I’ve been sat here most of the day, and on previous occasions as well, why is it only now I’m being asked to leave?” he asked smugly.

“Sir, it’s the manager’s request that you leave the premises and never return, and I suggest that you do so quickly.” Matt said taking a step closer to him. David looked up at him, with a smug grin playing on his lips.

“Okay I’ll go.” He replied picking up his drink and quickly finishing it and standing up. “But you can tell Angie that she can’t get rid of me that easily.” He added quietly, looking up at Matt’s hardened features.

“Get out and stay away from her, or I swear you will be regretting it for the rest of your pathetic little life.” Matt growled as David shock his head with a mocking smirk before walking out of the bar.

Once he’d watched him walk completely out of the bar and make his way down the street Matt turned and made his way back to the office. Walking in he found Angie sat watching the screens, tears running down her face.

“Hey come here. He’s gone now, it’ll be okay.” he said softly, walking around the desk. He crouched down beside her, turning her office chair slightly so that she was facing him.

“Will it? Can you promise me that Matt?” she replied with a sob. Matt sighed heavily.

“I wish I could Ange, but you know that we’re all going to do our best to make sure nothing will happen. And that is something I can promise you.” he replied with an assuring smile.

“Thanks Matt, it means a lot to here that.” she replied, leaning forward to wrap her arms around his broad shoulders.

“Anytime sweetie, now do you want me to try and get hold of Brian?” Matt asked quietly.

“No it’s okay, he’s in that meeting in Long Beach and he’ll only worry about me, get angry. I think it’ll be best if I tell him what happened when he gets back.” She replied.

“Okay, that’s fair enough. Do you want me to hang around until you finish work? Just in case that little shit decides to turn up again?” he asked.

“You don’t have to-“ she began.

“Do you want me to? Will you feel better knowing I’m here?” Matt asked sternly. Angie nodded her head.

“Thanks Matt, I tell you what, it’s going to be a pretty quiet evening so go up and get us both a drink and a booth and I’ll be up in a minute with some take away menus as a way to say thank you.” she replied with a smile as she wiped her face.

“There’s no need you know, but that sounds great and I know you won’t take no as an answer, so thank you.” he replied with a smile.

“I’ll just have a coke please.” She said as he opened the door to leave.

“Slice no ice right?” Matt replied with a wink before shutting the door behind him. Angie sighed deeply taking her small compact mirror out of her purse to check her make up before making her way to join Matt.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait on this guys, but I had a bit of troule getting started on this chapter, and then I've had a crappy week and have struggled to get any writing done at all.

Anyway, maybe some comments would help.... ;)

Angie