Status: Completed - Working on a Sequel.

Love Is a Losing Game

Chapter 16

Angie watched as Brian’s jaw tightened and his hands clenched into fists as she explained why Matt had spent the last four and a half hours with her.

“He’s been here all this time?” he growled.

“Apparently so. I told you he was a sneaky fucker, and he’s managed to come in and sit and have drinks and probably have food at some point with neither Stuart nor myself finding out.” she replied.

“I swear if he turns up here again, I’m gonna fucking kill the bastard.” He said through gritted teeth.

“Only if I don’t get to him first.” Angie said quietly taking a step forward towards Brian.

“Hopefully I managed to scare him off for the time being.” Matt said as Brian took hold of her hand and gently pulled her closer to him to place a kiss on her forehead.

“Don’t hold your breath Matt, he’ll be back I know him.” she replied as she snaked her arms around his waist.

“Are you almost finished here babe?” he asked quietly.

“Just waiting for you two douches.” She replied with a smirk.

“Hey!” he replied pushing her playfully away.

“Just come on then so that I can close up.” she replied gently shoving him back with a smile.

“Are we still on for coffee in the morning?” Brian asked as they got out of his Escalade in his driveway.

“Yep, just don’t forget the bagel too.” she replied as he walked her up her driveway.

“I won’t.” he replied as they stopped at the door. Their fingers laced together as Brian turned them so that they were facing each other before lowering his lips softly against hers.

“About nine thirty?” he asked as they parted.

“Yeah that’s fine.” She replied before he kissed her briefly on this lips again.

“Good night babe.” He whispered.

“Night.” She whispered in return as he slowly let go of her hands and walked away towards his house.

Angie made her way into her own house and headed straight to her bedroom, wanting nothing more than for this day to be over with and to start all over again in the morning.
She quickly changed into her pyjamas and headed to the bathroom to brush her teeth before heading back into her room and climbing into bed. it wasn’t long before sleep took over her body and she was dreaming.

Angie danced around the bar happily, and with good reason, she had just been told that she was being made Assistant Manager of the bar. This meant more responsibility, more hours, more money and was another step towards becoming a manager at some point.

“Good evening, what can I get you?” she asked cheerfully as one of her regulars walked up to the bar.

“The usual please Angel, so what’s got you in such a good mood?” he asked as she set about pouring him a beer. She smiled over at him, her eyes meeting his blue ones. They were quite possibly the most beautiful blue eyes that she had ever seen. They had been the first thing she’d noticed about him and she loved the way they lit up when he smiled.

“Well David, you are looking at the soon to be Assistant manager of McLaren’s bar.” She replied proudly.

“Oh Well done Angel, that’s brilliant news. Let me buy you a drink to celebrate.” He replied.

“Thanks.” She replied handing him his drink.

A few hours later Angie was preparing to close the bar. As she cleared the tables at the rear of the bar she jumped as she turned to find David stood behind her.

“Sorry.” He whispered taking a step closer. “I didn’t mean to scare you.” he added as she quietly watched him step closer to her, his hands cupping her cheeks as his lips brushed gently over hers. She kissed him back without hesitation, her arms snaking around his waist.

Suddenly it was six months later and things had changed. Angie was sat in the park, watching the sun set waiting for David who had called her asking to meet her. Tucking a lock of her freshly died auburn hair behind her ear she spotted the familiar figure of David walking towards her somewhat unsteadily.

“Hey my beautiful Angel.” He said as he approached his voice as slurred as his walking. He’s obviously been drinking.

“Hey, what did you want to talk to me about?” she replied pulling her head back slightly at the smell of alcohol on his breath.

“I want us to be together so I’m leaving Elaine.” He said with a proud smile on his face.

“What? Dave no, you can’t, this is just a bit of fun you and me.” she replied with widened eyes.

“No, no it’s not, I love you Angie, I want us to be together, I’ve told Elaine everything.” he replied.

“Wait! You’ve already told her?” she asked in disbelief.

“Yeah, I couldn’t lie to her anymore, I know we’re meant to be.” He said with a smile as he took hold of her hand. She quickly pulled it away and stood up.

“No David, you can’t. You’ve got to go back to Elaine, tell her you made a mistake, you’ve got Luke to think about as well.” She replied sternly.

“But I love you.” he pleaded loudly.

“But I don’t love you. I’m sorry David, but this is over.” She said before turning and leaving as quickly as possible.

Another month past and Angie was back in the bar, about to close up for the night. Since ending their relationship, Angie had seen a different side to David. He hadn’t reacted well and spent more and more time in the bar until she told him he was no longer welcome there.

“Good night guys, see you tomorrow.” she called as she watched her co-workers make their way out of the door as she began to switch the lights off.

“Sorry we’re closed.” She called as she heard the door swing open and shut again.

“I know.” A familiar drunken male voice said. Angie looked up nervously to find David walking towards her.

“David, what are you doing here?” she asked, her voice shaking slightly.

“I’ve come to see you. I miss you Angel.” He said as he continued to walk towards her.

“David how many times, it’s over between us. Please stop this and leave me alone.” She replied as she stumbled backwards trying to get away from him only to be backed into a corner.

“I can’t, you’re all that I think about, every single moment of the day.” He said quietly bringing his hand up to run his finger down her cheek.

“David, please no…” she whispered as tears threatened to spill.

“I love you Angie, we should be together.” he replied, his other hand trailing down her side as he pushed his lips onto hers, paying no attention to her protests.

“No, Please….” She continued to plead as tears spilled from her eyes as he pushed her further up against the wall, forcing his tongue into her mouth.


“No!” she screamed as she bolted upright, tears running down her cheeks, the images of her dream fresh in her mind, as if it had all been just yesterday.

“Angie? Honey what’s wrong?” Stuart called as he came running into the room. “I heard the scream.”

“D-David, he was – it was all so real, exactly like it happened.” She said through sobs as he came to sit on the bed next to her.

“Its okay sweetie, you had a nightmare, that’s all, its okay I promise.” He said soothingly pulling her into a comforting hug, that was interrupted by her cell phone ringing on her night stand.

“Why’s Brian calling you at this time of night?” Stuart asked glancing at the caller ID as he reached over to get the phone.

“Babe, is everything okay? I heard a scream.” He said as soon as she answered.

“I just had a nightmare that’s all.” She replied quietly.

“But you’re okay though?” he asked, his voice full of concern.

“Yeah.” She answered simply.

“You’re not though are you, come let me in.” he replied.

“Brian, there’s no need to come over-“ she protested.

“I’m already outside your front door, now hurry up I’m cold.” He replied teasingly.

“I’ll go.” Stuart said with a smile. A few moments later Brian walked into her bedroom in only his boxers and a hoodie.

“If you’re okay Hun, I’ll leave you two to it.” Stuart said from the doorway.

“Okay, thanks Stuie. Good night.” She replied with a faint smile as he blew her a kiss and closed the door behind him.

“What happened babe?” he asked as he climbed onto the bed with her pulling her into a gentle embrace.

“I had a nightmare, about David, like it was happening all over again.” she replied slipping her arms around his waist.

“Even the ra…” he began nervously but Angie shook her head against his chest.

“No, that’s what the scream was about, he was about to when I woke up.” she replied.

“Oh babe, I’m sorry.” He replied placing a kiss on her temple.

“It’s not your fault.” She replied snuggling closer to him, inhaling in his scent. They were silent for a long moment until Angie felt her eyes becoming heavy.

“I’ll let you get back to sleep.” he said placing a kiss on her forehead.

“No, stay, please.” She said tightening her grip around his waist.

“Of course babe, if that’s what you want.” He replied. He removed his hoodie and lay back down onto the bed, pulling Angie into his arms.

Feeling safe in Brian’s arms, it wasn’t long before Angie was able to fall back into a dreamless sleep. She woke the following morning with a smile on her face.

“Morning beautiful.” Brian whispered with a smile.

“Morning.” She replied pulling herself closer to him. “Thanks for staying.”

“Not a problem babe, are you okay now?” he replied.

“Yeah, I just got freaked out.” she replied quietly. “Having you here made me feel better.”

“Whatever you wanted babe.” He replied leaning down to kiss her lips. She kissed him back, the kiss progressing as their hands began to explore each other’s bodies, Brian gently rolling them over so that he was positioned on top of her.

“Okay, I’ve got coffee and bagels to get and we’ve got another twelve dates to go on before we can do this.” Brian said as he suddenly pulled away, sitting back so that he was straddling her waist.

“Mmm, yeah maybe it’s for the best.” She replied.

“How about we get dressed and I take you out for coffee and bagel? Make it our ninth date?” he asked.

“Sounds perfect.” She replied as he leaned down and kissed her again before getting out of bed and grabbing his hoodie.

“I’ll be back in five.” He said with a wink as he left the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope this gave you an insight as to what happened between her and David!

As always, thanks for the comments, more would be lovely :)

Angie