Status: Completed - Working on a Sequel.

Love Is a Losing Game

Epilogue

Keeping one eye on the road ahead of him, Brian glanced across at Angie who was sleeping silently in the passenger seat, a hand resting on her large swollen stomach, a smile quickly making its way onto his thin lips. Movement behind him caused him to glance behind, noticing his daughter stir in her seat, stretching her small arms and legs as her eyes opened.

“You okay there sweetie?” he asked quietly, catching her eye in the rear view mirror.

“Are we there yet Daddy?” she said with a yawn.

“Almost sweetheart, just a few more miles, did you have a good sleep?” he replied with a smile.

“Yep, is mommy sleeping?” she asked quietly, stretching her neck to try and get a better look at her mother.

“No.” Angie muttered quietly, not opening her eyes.

“Sorry babe, did we wake you?” Brian asked.

“No, your son did, thinking that my kidney’s are punch bags again.” she replied slowly opening her eyes.

“I’m sorry baby, we’ll be at the hotel soon.” He said softly, reaching for her hand.

“I hope that boy realises just how much I love him to be doing this.” she muttered.

“In his defence babe, he has been planning this longer than we’ve known you’re pregnant.” Brian chuckled.

“Yeah whatever.” She muttered as Brian indicated to turn off the main road, turning up the large driveway of the hotel. “Finally.”

Brian parked the car, getting their luggage out of the trunk before taking Ava out of the car too, his daughter taking hold of her mothers hand as he carried the luggage towards the hotel lobby.

They were in New Jersey, having spent almost three days travelling slowly across country to be there. The following day Stuart would be marrying Neil. In the past five years since Neil had moved into Angie’s room, and she had walked into the office to find them in her office, things had gone well with the pair, Stuart finally finding someone who he loved, made him happy and who loved him as much. They were perfect for each other.

Two years previously, Stuart had been offered a job managing a bar in New Jersey and Neil had moved with him. A year later, Stuart asked him to marry him, and although it was going to be a small wedding, Stuart had spent almost a year planning it; it was going to be his perfect wedding.

In that same time, Angie had given birth to Ava who was thankfully the image of her mother, the only trait from her father being her darker hair. She was now four years old and although Brian was not her father, he was her dad in all the ways that counted. He loved her as if she were his own, and she loved him too. In time they were going to tell her the truth about her not being his biological daughter, but for now she was too young to understand.
In a little under a months time, Ava was going to become a big sister, Angie due to give birth to their son on Brian’s birthday.

They had been nothing but happy since their wedding day. Before Ava was born they decided to move into a bigger home, something more suitable for a family to live in. Up until leaving on maternity leave, she had still been working at the bar, just on fewer hours. Brian still run the security company, which was becoming more successful, meaning he could hire more people and cut his hours to spend more time with his new family.

“I was starting to worry that you weren’t going to make it.” Stuart’s voice caught her attention as she waited for Brian to check in.

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world.” She said with a tired smile.

“Uncle Stu!” Ava cried dropping her mothers hand and running into Stuart’s arms.

“Where are the others?” Brian asked joining them.

“”Where do you think?” Stuart asked.

“Bar.” Brian and Angie replied together.

“Exactly, well the guys and the girls without kids are.” Stuart replied."Matt took Keiran up to bed about an hour ago."

“I’ll come and say a quick hello to them before going up, but I don’t mind if you want to stay and have a few drinks.” Angie said turning to face Brian.

“You sure?” he asked taking hold of her hand.

“Of course, come on.” She said leading them off towards the bar.

*~*

In a move reminiscent to her own wedding, Stuart kissed Angie briefly on the cheek as they parted at the alter, Stuart taking hold of Neil’s hand. Angie took a step back, reaching for Ava’s hand, smiling contently as her son gave a small kick as Stuart and Neil exchanged vows.

Ceremony over and photographs taken, the small group of best friends made their way to the small function room for the reception.

“Okay, so in my role as best woman, this is the point where I give a speech.” Angie started as she stood up in front of everyone. “Stuart, you’ve been my best friend for longer than I care to remember. You’ve always been there for me, through the good times and the bad and sometimes awful times. If it wasn’t for your friendship I doubt I’d be stood here now, I’d have given up a long time ago. I love you and it makes me so happy that you’ve found someone who makes you happy, who loves you as much as you love him. I wish you both a lifetime of happiness together, and Neil, I know I’ve warned you about this before, but, parents cover your children’s ears.” She paused to watch four children have large hands placed over their ears. “If you hurt him in any way, shape or form, I will hunt your scrawny little ass down and beat the fuck out of it before slowly removing your balls and forcing them down your throat.”

There was a unified chuckle from the others as Neil slowly nodded his head, looking momentarily terrified. Angie smiled, picking up her champagne flute of orange juice, “To Mr and Mr Dunning.” She cheered, the rest of the guests charging their glasses of champagne to the newly married couple.

Angie sat back down next to Brian who had Ava sat on his knee and rested her hand on her large pregnant belly.

“You okay beautiful?” Brian asked as he reached his hand over to join hers.

“Yeah, a little tired that’s all.” She replied with a smile, allowing her fingers to entwine with his.

“Go rest if you want, no one will say anything if you need to crash for an hour or so.” Brian told her.

“Nah, I’m fine, I don’t want to miss anything.” She replied.

“Okay, but if you –“

“Bri, I’m fine, and if I really feel like I need to rest then I will.” She told him with a smile, trying to ignore the small pain that was shooting through her stomach.

“I love you.” he whispered, leaning across to kiss her lips.

“Love you too.” she replied her eyes glinting.

An hour later the cake had been cut and the music playing, Stuart and Neil having danced their first dance together. Angie watched with a smile on her face as Brian and Ava danced together, her small arms wrapped around his neck, her feet dangling by his waist.

“Come on best woman, you and me need to dance.” Stuart said taking a hold of her hand.

“No we don’t, I need to sit here.” She tried to protest.

“But it’s my wedding day and you’re my best woman.” He pouted. Angie rolled her eyes, and allowed him to lift her gently out of her chair and walk her slowly across to the dance floor.

“So do you feel any different yet?” she asked as they began to dance slowly around the dance floor.

“Not really no. It’s going to be strange when it comes to signing my name and stuff though.” He replied.

“Don’t give me that, I bet you’ve been practicing for the past two years.” She teased.

“Maybe.” He said with a wink. “I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you too.” she replied. “And I promise we’ll make more of an effort to come and visit once the baby’s born.”

“Good, and Neil and I will do the same, now we’re not busy and spending money on the wedding.” He replied with a smile, leaning down to press a kiss to her forehead.

“Oh shit!” she muttered.

“What? Angie? What’s wrong?” Stuart asked watching as Angie looked down at her feet.

“I think my waters just broke.” She said lifting her eyes to meet Stuart’s panicked gaze.

“What? But you’ve still got three weeks left!” Stuart yelled, drawing the attention of everyone else.

“Babe? What’s wrong? Is it the baby?” Brian yelled as he joined them, Ava by his side.

“My waters just broke.” She repeated looking up at him, noticing the panic in his eyes.

“But you’ve got-“

“Three weeks left, yeah, try telling your son that, he wants to come now.” Angie said cutting him off.

“Shit we need to get you to the hospital.” Brian said, taking hold of her hand.

“Mommy, what’s happening?” Ava asked.

“I think you’re baby brother wants to be born a little early.” She said with a smile. “Daddy’s going to take me to the hospital; can you be a big girl and stay here with Uncle Stu and everyone?”

Ava nodded her head with a smile, Stuart picking her up into his arms. “Be a good girl okay, we’ll call as soon as we can.” Angie said leaning over to kiss her cheek before Brian led her out of the room and to the car.

“Okay Mrs Haner, while we’re waiting for you’re notes to be emailed to us from your doctor in Huntington, I want to give you a quick exam, check how things are going.” The doctor told her with a warm smile.

Angie nodded; Brian sat next to her, taking hold of her hand as she made herself comfortable on the hospital bed.

“So other that the waters breaking have you experienced any other signs of labour?” she asked.

Angie glanced quickly at Brian, “Well um, I had a show this morning-“

“A show?” Brian interrupted wide eyed.

“And, I’ve been experiencing some pains for most of the afternoon too.” she added with another nervous glance in Brian’s direction.

“Why didn’t you say anything?” Brian asked his voice full of concern.

“I didn’t want anything to spoil the day, I was hoping that it would pass.” She said sheepishly.

“Well, I can tell you you’re already six centimetres dilated, you seem to be moving on pretty quickly.” she replied with a smile. “There doesn’t look as if there’re any problems at the moment so I shall leave you to it and shall be back shortly to see how things are going, but don’t hesitate to call for a nurse if you need.”

“Okay, thank you.” Brian said with a smile as the doctor left the room.

“I’m sorry babe, I should have said something.” Angie said quietly.

“Yeah, you should have.” He said softly. “How you feeling?”

“Like I’m ready to give birth.” She replied with a smile, her hand suddenly clutching her stomach.

“Contraction?” Brian asked, Angie nodded. “Not as bad as when you were in labour with Ava?”

“No, thankfully. I’ve been having contractions almost all day and barely noticed them.” She said.

“I can’t believe our son’s almost here.” Brian said with a whimsical smile on his face.

“Well, at least this way we won’t be spending your birthday in the hospital.” She replied.

“Good point.” he replied as she gripped her stomach again.

“Oh shit, they’re getting worse, and closer together.” she said letting out a slow breath.

“I’ll get the nurse.” Brian said getting up from the seat.

Just half an hour later, Angie was in the delivery room, Brian sat behind her, her hands in his as she pushed.

“Breath baby, that’s it, you’re doing great.” Brian told her quietly as she relaxed back into his chest.

“Okay, he’s crowning, the next push should do the trick.” The doctor said with a smile, Angie nodding breathlessly. “When you’re ready.”

Feeling the need to push again, Angie tightened her grip on Brian’s hand causing him to yell out. “That’s it, keep going, he’s almost with us.” The doctor encouraged, Angie taking another deep breath before giving another push.

“Oh my God.” Brian muttered quietly as their tiny son was placed on Angie’s chest, a small cry escaping his tiny body.

“Do you want to come and cut the chord? Then we can clean him up measure him so we can let you have a proper hold.” The doctor said looking up at Brian, who nodded, gently moving from behind Angie, a tear escaping his eye as he cut the chord before returning to Angie’s side as the nurse cleaned up their son.

“There you go. Does he have a name?” the nurse asked, placing the tiny baby into Angie’s arms.

“Yeah, it’s Oliver. Oliver Thomas Haner.” She replied staring down at her new born son.

“Okay.” the nurse replied simply making a note in her notes. “We’ll get you cleaned up and then move you back through to your room, and if you’re feeling up to it, I know there’s someone in the waiting room for you.”

“Ava?” Angie questioned with a smile.

“Yeah, and a few others.” The nurse replied.

“I don’t have to see them all tonight though do I?” she asked.

“No, of course not, I can just bring your daughter through if you like?” she said with a smile.

“That would be lovely, thank you.” Angie replied.

A little while later, after being moved back into a private room, Angie and Brian both looked up from where they’d been staring at their new son to see the nurse walk into the room holding Ava’s hand.

“Hey sweetie, come here.” Angie said with a smile. “I want you to meet someone really special.”

“Is that my new baby brother?” she asked as Brian lifted her up onto the bed with them.

“Yes sweetie, this is Oliver.” Angie told her.

“He’s really small.” She said quietly staring at him.

“I know, he’ll get bigger soon though, like you did.” Brian said, running a hand through her hair.

“I like him.” she said quietly.

“Good, cos he’s staying.” Brian said with a smile, a small tear escaping his eye as Angie glanced over at him.

“I love you.” she whispered.

“I love you too.” he replied leaning over to kiss her, his lips lingering against hers before they parted, their gaze drifting back down to their two children.
♠ ♠ ♠
And that's it! The End....

I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who's read, subscribed and commented on this story over it's duration. It means a lot to me :)

Any late readers to this may be interested that there is now a sequel. Link at the top of the page.

Angie