Status: Completed - Working on a Sequel.

Love Is a Losing Game

Chapter 7

As Stuart walked in into the house at almost half three in the morning he was greeted by an almost darkened room, the only light coming from the TV that was showing some trashy movie. As he walked over to turn it off he spotted Angie fast asleep on the sofa, the remote in her hand as she snored gently. A wicked grin crept onto his face as he leaned down next to her.

“Angie.” He whispered quietly, placing a hand on her shoulder. When there was no movement from her, Stuart took a large intake of breath before yelling her name loudly. He collapsed into fits of laughter as Angie jumped up with a scream, clutching her chest with panic.

“You little mother fucker you.” she seethed on seeing Stuart trying to compose himself, wiping the tears of laughter out of his eyes.

“Sorry.” He began, still clutching his sides. “I just couldn’t resist.” He said trying hard to stop laughing.

“Little bitch!” she muttered, rubbing her eyes with a yawn. “My head hurts.”

“How much of that bottle of Walker did you get through?” he asked as she stood up from the sofa and headed towards the kitchen in search of water and pain killers.

“Um, well Brian and I finished the bottle” she mumbled as she took a bottle of water out of the refrigerator.

“Finished the…wait…you and Brian?” he asked raising an eyebrow as he passed her two tablets.

“Um, yeah, him and Aimee had a fight and he came over and we sat out the back drinking and stuff.” She explained with a shrug of her shoulders.

“What? You were his shoulder to cry on or something?” he asked his voice raising slightly as he crossed his arms over his chest.

“Kinda I guess.” She mumbled in return.

“So what? He just appeared on the doorstep after having a fight with Aimee?” he asked.

“Not exactly, I was outside, reading cos there wasn’t anything on the TV, I heard raised voices and then after she stormed out Brian came out into his back yard and his lighter wasn’t working so I offered him mine. He then came over and we finished the bottle between us.” She explained, wondering why Stuart was sounding off with her.

“And that was it?” he asked as if he was a police officer interrogating a suspect.

“Yeah that was it, just what exactly is your problem Stu? So what if Brian came over?” she retorted.

“What’s my problem? Can’t you see it’s happening again? You’re falling for a guy you shouldn’t be, I don’t want to see you get hurt again.” he replied, his voice rising slightly.

“How many times Stuart? This is nothing like what happened with David! That was totally different, Brian would never intentionally hurt me, especially not physically.” She replied.

“How can you be sure of that, you barely know Brian!” he yelled in return.

“I’ve known him long enough to know I can trust him.” she replied. Stuart shook his head and rolled his eyes.

“You’ll never learn will you? Just remember, you told me you trusted David once!” he replied.

“You know what? Fuck you Stuart! Keep your nose out of my god damn business!” she spat before heading quickly out of the kitchen and stomping into her bedroom, slamming the door behind her.

******

When she got up the following morning, Angie was thankful that she was on the early shift and could avoid Stuart. To spend as little time in the house as possible in her quest to avoid him, she decided to grab coffee and something to eat on her way to work.

Thankfully, the morning passed by quickly for Angie. She sat at the end of the bar with a mug of coffee in front of her along side a pile of papers as she tried to work out the staff rotas.

She looked up at the sound of one of her staff members greeting someone and found Brian walking towards her, removing his aviator sunglasses. She smiled as he approached, grateful for a distraction from her work.

“Hey, I’ve never seen you wear glasses before.” he said as he perched himself on the bar stool next to her.

“That’s because I very rarely do, but I really couldn’t deal with putting my contacts in this morning so these are a must.” She explained.

“You should wear them more often, they really suit you.” he said causing her to blush and divert her eyes away from his. “Didn’t feel too good this morning then hey?” he asked.

“Bri, we got through a bottle of whisky between us. Of course I had a headache.” She replied, her eyes widening.

“That’s actually kind of why I’m here. I brought you this.” he replied placing the bag he’d been holding onto the bar in front of her. She looked at the bag, and then glanced at Brian before leaning forward to take a look in the bag. She smiled as she reached her hand in to pull out a bottle of Johnnie Walker whisky.

“To make up for drinking you dry last night, and to say thank you for keeping me company.” He said.

“Thank you Brian, but there really wasn’t any need.” She replied placing the bottle back into the bag.

“Yes there is, anyway, you never know when I may need to escape at your place again. It’s not as if me and Aimee are on great terms after last night.” He said with a faint smile. “She wasn’t too amused that I was half cut when I got home.”

“Sorry Bri, I guess that was kinda my fault.” She replied.

“No, no, don’t blame yourself, it’s not like you forced me to drink. She’ll be ok.” he replied. Angie nodded silently. “And, I’m also sorry for…well, I shouldn’t have um, kissed you.” he added with a slight blush.

“Don’t worry about it.” She replied with a faint smile.

“And for…well thinking you were...”

“A lesbian? Don’t worry about it.” She interrupted with a smile as he blushed. “Just don’t tell the other guys about it yet, I might get some fun out of this.” she added with a wicked smile and a glint in her eyes.

“Not a problem.” He replied with a mimicking smile.

“Have you got time for a drink?” she asked raising a questioning eye brow.

“Beer?” she asked as he nodded.

“Coffee.” He replied with a shake of his head.

“Neil, two coffees please.” She called down the bar.

Two mugs of coffee later, Brian was still sat next to her. He had taken hold of her rota and was trying to re-arrange her shifts.

“And if you swap shifts with Kat next Thursday, you and me can work our way through that bottle of JW…” he said as tapped the bottle of whiskey that was still sat on the bar with the pen.

“No, sorry, no can do, Kat needs next Thursday off.” Angie replied with a small laugh.

“Oh, but that’s the only night I’m off next week.” He whined childishly with a pout.

“Bri, aren’t you the boss? She giggled, watching the look of realisation fall onto his face.

“You raise a good point friend! So what night suits you best?” he asked quirking an eye brow.

“Are you serious?” she asked continuing to giggle.

“Why not, we could make it a regular thing, two best friends getting hammered on whiskey in their back yard.” He replied with a smile.

“Best friends?”

“Yeah. Why? Don’t you think we could be best friends?” he asked with another pout. Angie looked at him and smiled as she began to nod her head.

“Good.” He said with a confident smile. “There aren’t many girls I can sit comfortably and talk to the way I do with you.” he added his cheeks flushing red again.

“Glad to be of service.” She replied, a little taken aback with what he’d said.

“Ok, so, what about Wednesday instead?” he asked returning his eyes to the rota.

“Shit.” She muttered as she looked past Brian to the tall, slim blonde figure walking through the bar towards them. Brian looked up confused, turning to follow her gaze as Stuart approached them and returning a puzzled look at her.

“Hey.” Stuart said quietly, looking sheepishly.

“Hey.” She replied with a half smile. He glanced quickly at Brian before returning his gaze back to Angie.

“Listen Ange, I’m sorry about last night.” He began quietly as he fiddled with the thumb ring he wore on his left hand.

“It’s ok.” she replied quietly.

“No, it’s not, I shouldn’t have said what I said, I was out of order. I should trust your judgement and I should just be a friend and learn to keep my mouth shut.” He continued.

“No, Stu, you were being a friend, you were just looking out for me, and I said some things I shouldn’t have as well. I’m sorry too.” Angie replied.

“Friends again?” she asked with a smile.

“Of course sweetie.” He replied with a widening grin as he leaned in to envelope her in a hug.

“Love ya Hun.” He whispered before placing a kiss on her cheek.

“Love you too.” she replied with a grin.

“Looks like it wasn’t just me and Aimee who had a lovers tiff last night.” Brian laughed as Stuart placed a casual arm around her shoulders.

“Long story.” Angie replied with a smile.

“Something you can’t tell you new best friend?” Brian asked with a mocking frown.

“Nope, my lips are sealed?” she replied shaking her head with a smirk.

“New best friend? We have an argument and you trying to replace me, with, with this?” Stuart interjected, trying to remain serious, but breaking into fits of giggles at the look on Brian’s face.

“Is he always this funny?” Brian asked.

“He tries to be bless him.” Angie replied leaning forward to whisper pretending to try and stop Stuart hearing.

“Just be warned Haner, I’m the best friend, always have, always will.” Stuart said pointing his finger warningly at Brian with a smirk on his lips.

“That’s fine with me dude, I just want to borrow her from time to time.” He replied.

“Um, what am I? A cup of sugar?” she replied glaring at both the guys.

“No, Hun, you’re sweeter than that.” Stuart replied kissing her cheek again.

“Urgh, you talk out of your ass.” She replied rolling her eyes as Stuart and Brian laughed.

“Oh great is it that time already?” she added joyfully as she spotted Kat walk through the door.

“I’m heading straight home once I’ve done hand over if you two want a lift?” she said as she gathered up all the paperwork and made to follow Kat towards the office.
♠ ♠ ♠
Meh! I don't like the ending of this chapter much :(

Angie

Anyway....comments please :D