Secrets

XVI

Jez didn’t say one word as I told her how I met her father, James, and her brother, Logan, back in Alaska. I was actually expecting her to bombard me with questions, but she did the total opposite. She shut her mouth and stared into the empty space of her room. When I finally turned to look at her, she looked like a total different person. She looked… She looked like a little kid, with her knees pulled into her chest ad her cheeks stained with tears as she silently cried.

“Now I live with Jer, not to far from here.”

Jez didn’t respond, just kept staring into the air.

“Jez? I’m sorry I guess?” I stood up from her bed and found a pen to write my number on her hand as she continued staring at nothing. “Call me or text me tomorrow so I can make sure you’re okay.”

I noticed her glance down to her hand as I turned to leave. “W…wait…,” she stuttered.

I turned to face her and lifted an eyebrow.

“P…p…please don’t leave me by myself,” she begged.

“What?” I was completely taken by surprise.

“Please? I…I don’t want to be alone.”

“Well…what…what do you want me to do?”

“Stay here. Please?”

I sat on the edge of her bed with her and wrapped my arm around her shoulder with a sigh, “Okay, Jez. Okay.”

Without hesitation she rested her head on me shoulder and nestled closer to me. After a few minutes she sat up and looked at me. “Thank you…,” she sighed, “for taking me away from the party, for getting me home, for telling me the truth, and for staying. You…you can have my bed, I’ll sleep on the floor or downstairs.” Before I could protest she was already up and out of the room. After a few seconds she didn’t return so I went after her and bumped into her as she stepped out of the bathroom in a tank top and girl boxer-shorts. “Oh, sorry,” she avoided looking at me and walked away again. Jez walked back to me with some sheets and giant blankets in her hands. “Would you rather me be in my room or father away from you in the living room?” she questioned still avoiding my face, “You know you don’t have to stay in your jeans, I’m not going to care if you’re just in boxers. Remember, I did grow up with a brother for sometime.’

I turned towards the bathroom and slipped off my jeans, jacket and boots. She did have a point and the last thing I was interested in was doing anything sexual with Jez. When I slipped back out she was sitting on the floor with her blankets still in her hands.

She glanced up at me and quickly stood looking at the ground again, “So? Living room?”

With a sigh I moved my hand to under Jez’s chin and lifted her face to meet my gaze, “Jez, you’re freezing. It’s your room and your bed. You’re going to sleep in your bed…”

She interrupted, “But it’s the most comfortable in the house and you helped me and it…it’s fine really. You can sleep there, unless you… unless you…”

I raised an eyebrow at her and put my finger to her lips, “You done now?”

She nodded.

“Would you like me to stay in your bed with you?”

With my hand still holding her chin she was unable to look down. She glanced somewhere other than my eyes and nodded, blushing.

“Okay,” I took the blanket from her and put my hand to the small of her back leading her back to her room.

As she slept, Jez stayed close to me, curled up tight. She didn’t snore but breathed slightly heavy. To my surprise I found it cute. every time she shivered, rather than pulling the blankets tighter around her, I found myself pulling her closer to me. Most of the night was spent with me staring up at the ceiling with my arms holding Jez tight as she slept with her head resting on my chest. Just as the sun was rising I found my eyes growing heavy and eventually falling shut.

My eyes flew open and an instinct growl emitted from my lips as there was a rap on Jez’s window. There at the window looking back at me, half naked in bed with Jez, with furious, confused, questioning eyes, was Jeremy. Shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
subscribe...comment
thankie loves
what d'ya thinks?