Secrets

VIII

A little later while Joey was still over, Mom called to tell me she would be really late, as in 1:00a.m. late. So, I decided that maybe it was time for to stop being so closed and to stop blocking people out when they really care about me and worry about me. What’s the worst that’ll happen? They’ll be too sorry for me or think I have to many problems and suggest I see some “professional” help?

All that’s left for me to do is to tell them, tell Ally and Joey. It’s only fair that they understand why I’m so awkward around people and why I have no friends.

I turned to look at Joey, “I think you should call Ally and have her come over.” I sighed.

“Uh… sure.” He fiddled with his phone and dialed Ally’s number. “Hey Ally, Jez wants you to come over.” He gave her my address and hung up. “She said she’ll be here ASAP.”

“Thanks Joey.” I replied with empty eyes.

About 20 minutes or so later the door bell rang and I got up from Joey’s side and let Ally in. She stared at me with questioning eyes and embraced me in a tight very…sisterly hug. I’m not going to lie, it felt nice to have someone showing that they care. She pulled away, hands on either side of my shoulders and eyes beaming at me. “Are…are you alright? What’s wrong? You look scared or…or I don‘t know, just not good.”

“I’m perfectly fine, I just need to talk to you guys.” I walked back to the couch as Ally followed. “I can trust you guys right? Like you’re not lying or teasing about the whole actually being my friend thing, right?”

Ally’s eyebrows creased with a confused look on her face as she shook her head no.

I turned to my other side to see Joey’s response. “Jez, why would we lie about something like that. We wouldn’t do that to you. Right ally?”

“Not a chance. Jez you’re like the most rad chick I’ve ever met
I mean you’re just like me. That’s mad awesome. Seriously, what’s wrong? You can tell us. I promise.” She took her arm and linked it with mine.

I closed me eyes and sighed as I tried to picture the memory carved into my mind that I’ve tried to forget so many times. Opening my eyes I began with the night my brother got sick and ended with the note I just got without interruption from either of my two friends. I quickly wiped the tear seeping from my eye away before they could notice. I looked up just in time to see Ally taking a deep breath getting ready for the mother load of questions.

Ally snatched the note my father had left me before him and my brother disappeared and read it over once more. “Let me get this straight, you haven’t seen or heard from them since?” She asking with a muffled voice.

“Not until today…this letter from Jer is the first I’ve ever got, no, well it’s actually Joey’s.”

“No! Jez you know you have to keep this letter.” Joey put his hand on my shoulder. He folded the letter back up and put it back in the cream colored envelope, then placed it in the box with the letter from my father, followed by the old photo of me and Jer. I slipped the top back over the box and slid it under my bed.

I shifted my gaze from my two best friends to the clock on my nightstand. It read 10:54 p.m. “I think you guys should get going, my mom will be home soon” I lied.

“Okay, but if you need anything then you just call us. Alright?” Ally looked at me with pleading eyes.

“Yeah.” I answered.

I walked them out and hugged them goodbye. I stood in the doorway watching as Ally and Joey pulled out of my driveway. My friends. My best friends.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment?