Sequel: Walls
Status: finished. the story continues in the sequel.

Story of a Girl

Jesse and Marla

Sydney drove through the neighborhood where Marla lived. when she pulled up to the house, she saw a little flash of color run to her. the little boy jumped on her.

"Auntie Sydneyyy!" Sydney laughed and hugged the boy back.

"How are ya kiddo?"

"I'm good....hey....who's that guy?" the six year old pointed to Alex.

"I'm Alex. I'm friends with your Aunt Sydney." the boy made a face.

"A boy and girl being friends?" Alex laughed and nodded.

He walked over to where Sydney and Jesse were sitting. Jesse looked him up and down, taking in his tight pants.

"How old are you?"

"Seventeen." the boys eyes widened.

"Are you in high school?" Alex nodded again.

"What about you Auntie Sydney?"

"What about me, Jay?"

"How old are you?"

"Seventeen. And I don't go to school anymore. I'm finished with it. Let's go inside and see mommy."

The little boy nodded and ran inside. Alex and Sydney stood up, and Alex's hand found hers. He laced his fingers with hers and gave her hand a squeeze. She looked up, her bright green eyes looking into his brown ones.

"Thank-you Alex." he smiled and kissed her forehead.

The two of them walked in and Marla smiled at them.

"Sydney, it's been too long." she brought out a box, and handed it to Sydney.

Sydney opened it, confused. Inside rested Ashton's dog tags. Her hand went to her mouth.

"Marla-"

"He wanted you to have a set." Sydney slipped them around her neck. Alex gave her a smile then turned to Marla.

"Hi, I'm Alex."

"Marla."

Jesse ran in and pulled Sydney to the backyard. Alex and Marla watched from the kitchen.

"You love her." Alex choked on the tea he had been drinking.

"Excuse me?" he sputtered out.Marla laughed.

"You're in love with her. Or at least you're falling for her." Alex raised an eyebrow.

"Why do you say that?"

"Your eyes light up every time she laughs." Alex looked down.

"I can't fall for her."

"And why is that?"

"She doesn't believe in love."

Marla dropped the plastic cup she had been holding.

"Wait....what?"

She looked at Alex with her honey eyes. They were filled with complete and utter surprise.

"Yeah. She said that she doesn't believe in love."

"Call her out." Alex looked over at her confused.

"What?"

Marla sighed, motioning Alex to follow her. They sat on the couch.

"Sydney....she used to believe in love. This was back when Ashton was still alive. she used to tell me that she couldn't wait to find love. That once she found it, she'd let it in. But....after Ashton died, she stopped coming around. And her parents fought more."

"I know the reasons." Alex said softly.

Marla looked over. Alex was looking at his hands. He took a deep breath, rubbing his chin.

"She told me, that watching her parents fight so much as a child, and being told tat they loved each other dampered her hopes. Then....then she saw how much you and Ashton loved each other, she got a new sense of love. After he died, she saw how upset you were. She vowed never to let herself get that messed up over a guy."

What Alex didn't include was what happened with Daniel. He promised her he wouldn't tell anyone.

"You could change that." Alex looked at her confused. "Alex, you should know that she doesn't let just anybody hold her close."

Just then Jesse and Sydney came in.

"Mommmmy!"

Marla shot Alex a look.

"Just think about what I told you."

_________________________________________________________

Alex hugged the little boy good-bye.

"Now....you gotta come back." he told Alex. Alex laughed and nodded.

"Sure thing buddy."

Sydney was talking with Marla. He saw her emotions flutter across her face.

"Alex, do you think that Auntie Sydney is pretty?" Alex cocked an eyebrow at the boy.

"Yes I do." he smiled.

"Why don't you two date? I mean...you'd be a cool uncle." Alex choked on air.

"Whoa there buddy, Syd and I are only friends."

"Yeah, but you could-"

"Jay, we're leaving. Gimmie a hug?" Sydney asked, walking over.he nodded hugging Sydney. "I'll come see you soon, okay?"

"Will you bring, Alex?" Sydney looked at Alex.

"We'll see, okay?" he nodded and waved as the two drove away.
♠ ♠ ♠
tell me your thoughts? :}