‹ Prequel: A Messed-Up Heart
Sequel: Amazing Almost Twins

A Mistaken Identity

Christmas Surprise

I could barely sleep that night. All I could think about was the fact that Karleigh wanted me to date Nick. For some strange reason, my twin sister wanted me to date her boyfriend, keeping up the charade that Amanda and Betsy started two months ago at their wedding. I was utterly confused by this. Why did Karleigh want me to do this? I knew it wasn’t right. Dating my late sister’s ex-boyfriend was just way too weird, particularly when considering the fact that he thought it was Karleigh. And, he would continue to think that I was Karleigh until his nieces or nephews were born. I couldn’t wait for that day to come. I longed for that day. After that day passed, I would finally be able to get away from the Jonas Brothers and their new families as I wanted to for the past two months.

When morning came, I quietly slipped downstairs. All I wanted to do was get this over with; I just wanted to get out of here. Despite what my twin sister wanted me to do, I did not want to fall for Nick. No matter how hard Karleigh tried to get me to fall for her ex-boyfriend, I refused to do so. I was going to fight it. I had to. Coming down, I noticed that Betsy, Nick, and Amanda were sitting on the couch talking. Since Nick was aware of the girls’ pregnancies thanks to me telling him, that was what they were talking about. I sighed and slumped down in a chair opposite the couch. “Where are Kevin, Joe, and Frankie?” I asked, noticing that the other boys, Denise, and Paul weren’t quite downstairs yet.

“Frankie’s still in bed—rather surprising since its Christmas—and Kevin and Joe are outside getting our gifts ready,” Amanda said. “They want their present to us to be a surprise.”

Betsy laughed. “Yeah, little do they know that you and I have a little surprise of our own for them.” She patted her stomach. “Joe and Kevin are going to flip when we tell them about this.”

“You know it,” Amanda said.

Nick looked at them. “Mind if we watch?”

“Go ahead,” they shrugged.

We sat around talking for a little while longer before everyone else came in and the gift exchange began. There were a lot of amazing gifts, but the most memorable were the ones that the boys gave each of us. Joe wrote Betsy a song, Kevin got Amanda a black cherry mandolin engraved with the lyrics to Please Be Mine, and Nick gave me a photo album. Though Nick obviously didn’t know anything about it, his giving me that meant the world to me. As I paged through the photo album, tears escaped my light blue eyes and splashed onto the album. Seeing these pictures made me extremely emotional. It got me thinking. Me being here definitely wasn’t right. Karleigh was supposed to be here, not me. Karleigh wasn’t supposed to be dead; she was supposed to be here hanging out with her boyfriend instead of lying dead on the side of the road as she had been since Halloween. None of this was right. Nothing about what was going on here was ever supposed to happen. I sighed and hugged Nick. “Thank you, Nick. You have absolutely no idea as to how much this really means to me,” I said, thinking of Karleigh as I did. It was always going to remind me of my sister because that’s who should have been here with Nick.

“You’re welcome, Karleigh,” he said, kissing me.

I placed the photo album aside and turned my attention to the Jonas sisters for the moment. Nick and I were waiting for Betsy and Amanda to reveal to their husbands the fact that they were pregnant with the boys’ first child. It was going to be utterly hilarious. So, when Betsy pulled Joe outside, Nick and I snuck out there as well in order to spy on Jetsy to see how Joe reacted to the news. Amanda stayed inside with Kevin, waiting for us to come back in so that she could tell Kevin of the pregnancy as was intended. Nick and I hid behind the bushed and watched carefully as Betsy revealed the truth to Joe. He fainted soon after.

Nick’s jaw dropped. “He fainted!”

“And, all because of a pregnancy,” I said. “Obvious, Joe never expected that Betsy was going to get pregnant, especially at eighteen.” I laughed. “Joe is going to be in for a long seven months.”

“Yeah, and how exactly are we supposed to keep all of this quiet?” Nick wondered. “The paparazzi will flock to us when they learn of the pregnancy, particularly learning of the fact that both Beth and Manda are pregnant. Not only that, but Beth still has six months of schooling to deal with. And, despite the fact that we just wrapped up filming on the third season of JONAS, there’s talk of a movie being put together. We need Beth’s help with that since she is a part of the cast.” He sighed. “I guess that, despite us liking to keep our family life private, there are some things in which we won’t be able to hide. This is one such instance in which the media might be able to figure out what’s been going on.”

“I guess we’ll just have to see,” I said. “Now, come on. I think that Betsy is going to need our help getting Joe back inside. Plus, we need to watch as Amanda tells Kevin about the news that she is pregnant as well as her younger sister. I wonder how he’s going to react.”

“Probably like Joe,” Nick laughed.

Upon helping Betsy get the unconscious Joe off the boat and back inside, laying him on the couch, Denise, Paul, Kevin, and Frankie began questioning me, Nick, and Betsy about why Joe fainted in the first place. No one would tell them though. It was to remain a secret until Amanda told Kevin about what was going on. That wasn’t too far off. In fact, Amanda had already slipped away to get what she needed. Amanda returned a few moments later, pushing Kevin over to the mistletoe just as she planned on doing. “Kevin, if you want your present, you and I need to be under the mistletoe,” she said quietly.

“Why?” he asked.

“You’ll see,” she said. “Now close your eyes.”

“What for?” Kevin inquired.

“Just please do this for me, Kevin.” He did, and Amanda pulled out a bouquet of roses, poinsettias, and narcissus.” Okay, you can open them.” Amanda smiled when they did. “Now, Kevin, I’m sure you remember last year when you and Joe proposed to me and Betsy respectively. Well, this year, Betsy and I had a little surprise of our own waiting for the both of you. It’s something that I don’t think anyone could have expected, not even me and Betsy. Not even Allison, and she’s psychic. You see, Kevin, I’m pregnant.”

Kevin jaw dropped when he heard that. It was the only thing that he could to react to what his wife said. “He’s in shock,” Betsy said. “Get him into a chair. I think he needs to absorb what we just told him.” Amanda nodded. Betsy laughed. “That was unexpected, wasn’t it?”

“Very,” everyone agreed.
♠ ♠ ♠
The way the pregnancies were revealed goes back to A Many Splendored Thing, a one shot set between A Messed-Up Heart and A Mistaken Identity.

Comment and subscribe.