Backstage

Chapter 30

But it wasn’t for sure that it was Billie. I mean, he loved Adie. He even gave Adie a kiss before he walked onstage…but then he smiled at Sami. Sami watched as they all ran onto the dark stage so no one would see them. The lights turned on and the crowed screamed.

“SAN DIEGO!” Billie yelled into the microphone. He started playing American Idiot and the crowd jumped up and down, moshing and head banding to the beat. It was great, but the whole time, Sami was scared.

‘It didn’t have to be him…and I don’t want it to be him,’ she thought furiously. But she knew she was lying. She knew that out of all three of them, she would rather have the one that was happily married, and it made her sick.

Sami, Adie, Nikky and Katie all watched the concert, singing to the music and dancing around. They all cheered when Billie played 2000 Light Years Away for Adrienne. Sami felt good knowing that Billie wrote that song for Adie.

‘See, he wrote that AND another song JUST for Adrienne, he would never cheat on her…never,’ Sami thought to herself. But then who kissed her. Sami was still singing and looking happy for her friends but her mind was racing.

“Ok, we are going to do something that has never been done in Punk Rock history. We are going to make a band right here on stage. We need a drummer, a bass player and a guitar player,” Billie said into the microphone as Mike and Tre kept the beat for Operation Ivy’s song, Knowledge. “Ok, who can play the drums?” Billie yelled. People yelled and cheered as Billie searched through the raised hands for a drummer. He found a boy somewhere in his search.

“You can play drums? Are you sure? You swear to God? How long have you been playing? Three years? Ok, get your ass up here,” Billie yelled. The crowd cheered and the boy rushed to the stage. Dirty blonde hair hung into his eyes. He was a few inches taller than Billie.
“Damn I feel short now. What’s your name?” Billie asked him.
“Tyler,” he said.
“How old are you, Tyler?”
“Sixteen.”
“Ok, Tre will help you out,” Billie said pointing to Tre who waved stupidly. Tyler ran up to him.
“Alright...BASS PLAYERS!” Billie yelled. He found a girl after a minute and asked her the same questions. The girl ran onto the stage. Light brown hair hung to a little below her shoulders. She had clear blue eyes and converse, laced with superman laces.
“What’s your name?” Billie asked the girl.
“Montina. Dude, this is so kick ass!” she said. Billie laughed.
“How old are you Montina?” Billie asked.
“Sixteen.”
“Ah, very nice. Ok, Mikey will help you out. Go! Be awesome. You and your superman shoes,” Billie said pointing to Mike. They girl learned the notes almost instantly.

“Ok…WHERE ARE MY GUITAR PLAYERS!?!” Billie yelled. There was a roar of cheers as people raised their hands. Billie found a boy. “You can play guitar? Are you sure? You swear to God? How long have you been playing? Only a year? That’s not good enough,” Billie said as he walked away. He stopped at the front of the stage and knelt down at the edge. Billie smiled at the girl that was with Tim, who had her hand raised up high. Her mouth fell open when she saw Billie was staring at her.
“You can play guitar?” he asked. She nodded. “You swear to God?” he asked with a smile. She nodded vigorously. “How long have you been playing?” Billie asked.
“Three years,” she said.
“Get on my stage!” he yelled. She almost fainted when Billie reached his hand out to pull her up. She grabbed his hand and was hoisted up on the stage. She gave Billie a hug and he kissed her on the cheek.

“What’s your name?” Billie asked.

“Jody,” she said.
“Hello Jody. Who old are you?” he asked.
“Fourteen,” she said. “Ok cool,” he said. He handed her a guitar and showed her the notes. She nodded. Billie offered her his pick but she refused it. Instead, she reached into her pocket and grabbed a pick out of her pocket. Billie smiled at her and grabbed the microphone.
“Whoa she IS a rocker, she has her own pick,” Billie said with a laugh. Jody smiled and started to play the chords. The crowd cheered.

When the song was over, Billie gave Jody the guitar and made Tyler do a stage dive off stage. Jody ran off stage with a huge smile on her face.

Cell phones and lighters went in the air during Wake Me Up When September Ends and during the encore, Time of Your Life.

“GOOD NIGHT SAN DIEGO!” he yelled. Fire works went off in the air and Billie ran off stage. Sami stood there smiling. Billie smiled. “Glad to see you smile for real,” he said giving her a hug. Her body tensed. She still didn’t know who kissed her, but Bilie was the best bet.

Billie walked with Sami to farther back stage. “Ok, spill it,” Billie said to her when they were out of ear shot of everyone else.

“Nothing’s wrong Billie,” Sami lied. ‘Why am I lying!’ Sami thought. ‘He can’t be this stupid, if he was the one who kissed me he would have said something by now…wouldn’t he?’

“I don’t believe you,” Billie said leaning against the opposite wall that Sami was standing near. “You seem fine with Mike and Tre around, but with me…I don’t know. I’m getting weird feelings like you’re uncomfortable,” Billie said looking sad. That was the complete truth but Sami didn’t really feel like saying anything. “Ok, that’s it isn’t it? What did I do, tell me,” Billie demanded as he walked over to her. Sami shook her head.

“I don’t know if you did it…that’s the thing. But…I guessed that you were the only one who would,” Sami said.

“What do you think I did!? Kill a person!?” Billie yelled.

“Who kissed me before the concert?” Sami blurted out. Billie stood there looking stunned.

“Someone…kissed you?” Billie said, standing stock still. Sami nodded at him. ‘Thank God, he didn’t do it,’ Sami thought. She felt her stomach drop. ‘That means that Mike or Tre did,’ Sami thought. Oh CRAP! She’d rather it have been Billie. ‘NO! DON’T THINK THAT! HE’S MARRIED! HE’S YOUR BEST FRIEND! NO NO NO, SAMI!’ she thought angrily.

“S-So, if you didn’t do it…” Sami said slowly. Billie finished for her.

“Then who did?”