Backstage

Chapter 9

*DING DONG*

Sami sprinted down the stairs and opened the door. Nikky and Katie stood in the doorway. They were all going to Billie’s party together.

“Woo, Sami. 33 and still looking sexy!” Katie cat called.

“Shut up,” Sami said with a laugh.

“Let’s go!” Nikky yelled. Sami locked the door and got into Katie’s car. It took about 20 minutes to get to Billie’s house, the whole way Sami, Katie and Nikky were guessing who was going to be there. After about 15 minutes into the drive Nikky yelled, “Time of Your Life party! I get it now, like their song!” Sami and Katie just looked at her.

“You didn’t figure that out?” Katie said, laughing hysterically. Sami was in the back seat cracking up.

“Ok, ok I’m sorry I’m not as smart as you guys are. I didn’t make the connection! Jeez!” Nikky said also laughing.

“Ok! We’re here!” Katie said as she pulled into the driveway. Sami took a deep breath. What was she supposed to do? Just walk inside and say 'Hey, I’m that girl that you broke up with 14 years ago. Why did you invite me?' She hadn’t even thought about nerves, she was too excited. But, before she knew it, all three of them were at the door ringing the doorbell.
They could hear the music inside from even before the door opened. The three of them stared at the door knob as it turned. The door was pulled open.

And who better to open the door than Billie Joe himself?

He stood framed in the door way for about 2 seconds without saying anything, he just looked at all of them, and they looked at him.

'Oh, my God,' Sami thought. He’s hotter than he was when he was nineteen. Sami was about to say, ‘Hello’ but Billie's eye widened as who they were hit him like a ton of bricks.

“SAMI!” he yelled. Before she knew it, Sami was in the arms of Billie again. He had her in the biggest hug ever. “Oh my God! I haven’t seen you in so long!” he said not letting Sami out of the hug. Sami caught a look at Nikky and Katie who were both staring at her and Billie together.

“I…I know. It seems like forever, hasn’t it?” she said hugging him back. Billie let go of her and stood back to look at her, giving Sami a chance to look at him better. let go of her and stood back to look at her, giving Sami a chance to look at him closer. He was wearing black jeans, a plain black shirt hanging over his studded belt with a blood red tie dangling from his neck. And there were those eyes. Those eyes that were like two sparkling green diamonds. Dyed black hair hung down in his eyes. He still stood around the same height as before but…he looked so different. Teeth, perfect. Nose, perfect. All together, he looked perfect. Just like before.
Billie snapped out of his observation.

“What am I doing, come in. Basically everyone’s here. Mike and Tre are excited to see you guys again,” Billie said as he stepped to the side to let them in.

Sami didn’t realize how much she missed him until that moment when she had seen him in the doorway. She stood in the middle of the room with Nikky and Katie by her side. She looked around at everyone. Basically everyone was wearing the same thing she was. Jeans, a shirt, some people wearing nice dress shirts, others wearing T-shirts. Just a room full of punks and rock stars.

“Come on, I’ll go show you who’s here,” Billie said as he came up behind them.

“Ok,” Sami said. “Come on guys,” she said to Nikky and Katie so they would follow them. As Sami walked, Billie slowed down so he could talk to her.

“So, did you and that Max ever work out?” Billie asked as he walked beside her. Sami nodded.

“Yeah. He’s actually out camping with our son, Scott right now,” Sami said to him.

“Really?” Billie said. “How old is your son?” he asked.

“Six, he’ll be seven in March,” Sami said.

“Same age as my youngest. Turns seven next month,” Billie said with a smile.

“I didn’t know you had kids,” Sami said surprised. Billie laughed. Sami remembered that laugh so well.

“Yeah, I have two. Joseph is the oldest and Jakob is the younger one. We haven’t talked for what? Thirteen years? I had to do something with my life,” he said with a smile. Sami laughed. “Ah, here we go,” Billie said as he stopped next to a guy with a slight Mohawk. Billie tapped the man on the shoulder. The man turned around. Billie pointed at the girls. The man broke into a smile.

“Nikky? Is that you?” the man said as he walked over to Nikky.

“Oh my God! Tre!” Nikky said. She gave Tre a hug. She was so excited.

“I haven’t seen you in years! Wow! You look amazing!” Tre said as he stepped back to look at her. “What’s this?” Tre said as he took Nikky’s left hand. “You’re married?!” Tre said, slightly disappointed. Nikky laughed.

“You guys start catching up, I’m gonna go find Mike,” Billie said. “Come on,” he said to Sami and Katie. “You never said that Nikky was married,” Billie said. Sami nodded.

“We all are,” she said.

“Cool,” he said as he turned to Katie. “What’s your lovely husband’s name?” Billie said with a laugh. Katie smiled.

“His name is James Stone and we have a beautiful daughter named Kaylee,” she said. Billie nodded and smiled.

“And here is dufus number two,” Billie said as he stepped behind a guy with spiked up brown hair. “Oh, Mr. Michael Pritchard, can I have you’re autograph?” Billie said in a fake girly voice.

“My name is Mike Dirnt and…” he turned around and saw that it was Billie. “You’re such an ass,” Mike laughed.

“You’re lovely lady is here,” Billie said pointing to Katie.

“Katie!” Mike said. He gave her a hug and stepped back to look Katie over in awe. “Wow…you look…” he glanced at her finger and saw a ring. “committed,” he finished. Katie laughed and hugged him again.

“I missed you too.”

They both walked away talking about what was new and what had happened in their lives. Once again, leaving Billie and Sami alone, but this time, they had a lot to talk about.