Sequel: The Last Fight
Status: First edit is completely done :D Second edit is in the process.

As the Sister of Harry Potter

Confused

“Well, you look better,” commented George the next morning at breakfast as he sat down across from me.

“Thanks,” I said, smiling slightly. He shot a smile back and we ate in silence.

I felt better than I had yesterday. I didn’t have to worry until the next task, which was due to take place some time in February. And hopefully this time, there won’t be any dragons involved.

It was Friday, meaning we had Defense today before lunch. I loved it this year because we did lots of practical stuff. Moody and Lupin were the only teachers I’ve ever really liked in this class. We dealt with serious Dark Magic and how to fight it. Just my kind of thing.

“You know,” I said to Ophilia as we left class for our dorms, “I think I want to be a teacher.”

“Seriously?” she asked, mildly surprised. “I figured you would want to be an Auror.”

“Yeah,” I answered thoughtfully, “well, I’d have to work for the Ministry. If I just worked here, then I could have summers off at least. Plus, I guess teaching to me is just a more direct way to affect people...”

“Well, I think you’d be pretty good. You’ve taught me some stuff before, like Stunning and things like that,” she said.

“Hmm,” I agreed.

“Oh, so did you hear about the Yule Ball?”

“Um, no?” ‘Doesn’t sound good anyways.

“They’re holding a formal dance on Christmas Eve as a sort of social gathering for the three schools. Dates, dresses and everything.” Ophilia’s brown eyes were lit up with excitement.

“That’s um, great Ophilia, you have fun at that.”

“What, you’re not going to go?”

“No, no one’s going to ask me and I’m not going to go by myself. Besides, I hate dancing, and dresses even more so.”

“But Jen! The Weird Sisters will be there! And what if someone does ask you?”

Ooh, the Weird Sisters… that was almost a tough choice. I loved them. “No, probably not. I’m sorry Ophilia, dancing is just bleh.”

Ophilia pouted. “But Jen! We could get you a totally amazing dress and you’d look like the princess I know you are, and you would have a really good-looking date and you’d have so much fuuuun!”

“No Ophilia, it would be a trip down humiliation lane. I’m not a princess, you just like to pretend I am, and the only one who’ll probably ask me is Lance who I refuse to go with because he’s creepy and evil.”

She sighed. “Just wait, Jennifer, you’ll end up going… I just know it.”

-

After Arithmancy I have a free period, so I wandered down to the Black Lake. It was really chilly outside, and the lake was just barely starting to get ice on it around the edges. I found a patch with a bunch of loose rocks and sat on the frozen ground. I was honestly quite surprised we didn’t have snow yet—it was nearly December. I pulled out my wand and started practicing some Charms, making a few rocks tap-dance across the smooth surface of the lake.

“Nice rocks.”

I jumped, and my current rock fell into the water. I looked up to see none other than the annoying prick Cedric Diggory standing there.

“Go away Diggory, I’m busy.”

“With what?”

“Practicing Charms.”

“Like you really need practice,” he stated and sat down by me.

“I do. The only class I’m top in is Defense.”

“Really?”

“Yes, now can I practice on my own?”

“But why do you need to be top? That doesn’t quite prove anything.”

“You wouldn’t understand.”

“I wouldn’t?”

I sighed, exasperated. “Diggory, you are so annoying! You’re like this guy who’s always around when I don’t need a guy around! You’re this… spare dude, this spare guy. YOU’RE SUCH A SPARE!”

I had fallen over in my yelling, and now breathed deeply. But all he could do was laugh.

“Anything else?”

Yes! You’re a bloody floppy wanded Dementor boggerer!”

He sat and I laid there in silence. He was unmoving, and seemed to be thinking. ‘Leave, leave, you have a crap load of homework to do, leave,’ I willed him with my mind, but I knew nothing would happen. I would be genuinely surprised if he did leave.

“Jennifer… will you go to the Yule Ball with me?”

It took a moment or two for the word to sink in. “You… what?

“I’m asking you to the Yule Ball.”

“Did you not just hear… anything I just said?”

“Yes, I did actually.”

“…why do you want to go with me?”

“Honestly? Because I’d rather go with you than Cho, and I just want to go with you.”

“I thought you and Cho had a thing.”

“No, we broke up last year. She got really clingy and annoying just before exams.”

That was a shocker. I never knew you could annoy Cedric Diggory.

“Look, I’ll… I’ll think about it. But it’s most likely a no.” Gah, there I go, sugar coating everything.

But he smiled at me. A genuine smile, not that weird half smirk thing he usually did. “Alright, thanks for thinking about it Jennifer.” And he was gone.

-

I sat in the common room that night with my thoughts still spinning. What was going on? Why was Diggory so suddenly interested in me? Was that why he kept popping up all over the place? And what the bloody hell should I tell him about the Yule Ball? Normally, it would have been a quick and final no, but had something made me stop, and I couldn’t quite figure out what it was. I needed to talk to someone. Sarlanda was out of the question, as was Ophilia. But maybe, if they were serious enough…

“George? Can I talk to you?” I asked, pulling him away from Fred and Ophilia.

“Yeah, sure Jen.”

“Like, in private?

“Oh, yeah, let’s try my dorm.”

We slipped away upstairs and into his empty dorm. He sat on his bed, and I paced through the mess of clothes and books. I was too fidgety to sit. “So what’s this about Jen?”

“If I ask you for advice, will you take me seriously?” Better be on the safe side, especially when it’s a Weasley Twin.

George snorted. “Sure Jen, I’ll answer you seriously.”

“Right, so, erm… Diggory asked me to the Yule Ball.”

George just started laughing. “Really?”

“Yes! And it’s not funny, I don’t know what to do!”

“What, you didn’t turn him down?”

“I told him I’d think about it.”

“Why?”

I sighed. “I don’t know, and that’s why I’m asking for advice.”

George didn’t speak for a few moments. “Do you… like him?”

I gave a start. “What? No! I mean… he’s not the worst person in the world, but he’s so annoying.”

“How so?”

“He’s just always so… sugar coated, and a goody two-shoes, and it’s like he’s too thick to notice what he’s doing!”

“Maybe what you need is a Mr. Nice Guy.”

Those were the last words I was expecting to hear from George Weasley.

“Seriously though Jen, look at your last, uh, relationship. Maybe you need a break from all the anger and sarcasm and stress.”

My mouth was open and I was making odd noises. He really thought this?

“So you think… I should go with him?”

George shrugged. “It’s your decision. But it can’t hurt.”

-

I let it brew over the weekend, because I would see him Monday morning for Herbology. I ate breakfast silently, bacon fueling most of it. Ophilia correctly thought I was acting weird. I glanced over to the Hufflepuff table and saw Cedric. I caught his eye and jerked my head to the Entrance Hall. He nodded and excused himself from his table to head outside. I wolfed down another two strips of bacon, grabbed my bag, and headed outside myself.

“Yes Jennifer?” he asked when I walked into the Entrance Hall.

“Outside,” I said shortly, and lead the way out the front doors and onto the lawn. We stopped a little distance from the Greenhouses. “I have an answer for you,” I said, turning and facing him. His grey eyes lit up, and he ran a hand through his brown hair.

“Yeah?”

“Yes.” I closed my eyes and pressed my lips together tightly, as if it would have prevented me from telling him my answer. I opened them and sighed. There was no way I was running away from my idiotic decision now. “I, er… accept your invitation.”

Cedric’s face was of uncharacteristic shock. “You – what?

“Don’t make me repeat it! It’s bad enough the first time!” I wailed.

“You’re… completely serious? You’ll go with me?”

Yes, Diggory!”

He was laughing with relief and joy. “This is great. Thank you, Jennifer.”

“Whatever, just take it and run before I change my mind.”

“Right. Thank you! See you in class!” he said as he ran off to the Greenhouse that Sprout just opened for the early students. Ophilia and Sarlanda walked down the lawn towards me.

“What was that all about?” Sarlanda asked. I glanced around to make sure no one was paying attention to us. They weren’t.

“You two have to swear to absolute secrecy. I’m seriously not afraid to make you do the Unbreakable Vow.”

“Alright Jen, just tell us!” said Ophilia, hopping between her feet.

Oh bloody hell, I really, really didn’t want to tell them. Saying it out-loud would just confirm it to myself. I wanted to be in denial for as long as I could possibly get away with it.

“I’m going to the Yule Ball with Diggory,” I finally whispered.

Sarlanda legitimately burst out laughing and Ophilia screamed in excitement. “Holy Fizzing Whizbees! Really?”

“Yes,” I groaned moodily as Ophilia began squeezing the hell out of me in her hug.

“Girls! Let’s go, class time!” yelled Professor Sprout. Saved by the plants.
♠ ♠ ♠
Haha, so, Jennifer's rant about Cedric being a spare is from A Very Potter Musical, and the Dementor boggerer is from Potter Puppet Pal's "Wizard Swears." Both of these things you should see if you haven't already.
Anyways xD The image of Sarlanda laughing is making me laugh.