Behind the Scars

Coffee

Allie decided that she needed to go out and look around Gotham. The morning news didn't say anything about the criminal who escaped, so she assumed all was good and safe in the city. She got herself a quick shower in the run down bathroom, and walked out of it to get dressed and do her make-up.

She slipped into some faded blue jeans, and pulled a old worn t-shirt over her head. She allowed her hair to fall down in it's natural wave, and placed a light dusting of make-up on her face. She picked up her purse, and then the room card, and tossed it in her purse. She decided that she could walk around town for a bit instead of taking her car. What could happen in broad daylight?

Allie walked down the street, smiling at the people who walked along side her. It was funny to her that all of them seemed to have calm faces. Were they not worried about the criminal that escaped? Or were they used to this type of thing?

She spotted a small coffee shop, and grinned as she walked inside. She noticed one or two people were inside enjoying small talk over a cup of coffee. She walked over and ordered herself a cappuccino, and picked up a newspaper that they had up front. She payed for her coffee and paper, and then walked over and took a seat in the corner.

She glanced at the front page and noticed it was talking about the explosion. She scanned her eyes over the information and sighed. He had broken out of that place numerous times. The paper called him a sadistic murderer with zero empathy. It had a small picture of him. Allie felt goosebumps rise on the back of her neck as she glanced down at the man with the painted face. The picture was in black and white; but it still shouted a thousand words. Psychopath, murderer, killer, violence, death all came to her first.

His eyes were surrounded by dark circles, and his skin was chalk white. On his cheeks were what looked like smudged lipstick tracks. She could tell they were covering up something rigid and rough. She looked closer and saw that they were scars. A scar on each side of his mouth, that curved up into one of the most hideous smiles she had ever laid her eyes on. She shuddered, and looked away from the man in the paper.

She sipped on her cappuccino as she looked out the window. She watched as several different people walked by. The ringing of the door caught her attention, and she looked up and into a pair of piercing blue eyes. The man smiled at her and then made his way over to the counter and ordered himself a coffee. She turned her eyes away from the attractive gentlemen and concentrated on the streets again.

"Is this seat taken?" A strong voice ask.

Allie turned her head around and looked into the eyes of the attractive blue eyed man. She shook her head negatively and waited for him to sit down. He sunk down and smiled at her.

"I'm Bruce Wayne." He announced.
"Allie Slone."
"You're not from around here." He said.
"No-- I'm from Cumberland, it's a few hours south of here." She replied.
"I figured as much-- I know almost everyone in this city." He said.

She smiled. This man was very attractive, and had a way with words. She sipped on her drink and smiled at him.

"So, what brings you to Gotham?" He questioned.
"I'm actually looking for my father." She said.

He nodded his head, and opened his mouth to speak, but his cellphone started going off inside his pocket.

"Excuse me one second." He said, pulling the phone out. Allie watched as he flipped it open.

"Now?" He ask into the phone, "Okay-- thank you Alfred. I'll be right there."

"I'm sorry-- work calls." He said, "I'll hopefully see you around Mrs. Slone." He said.
"Miss-- I'm not married." She said holding up her ring less finger.

Bruce Wayne smiled, and nodded his head before walking away.

Allie finished her coffee and then walked out of the shop, hoping to explore the rest of Gotham safely.

The Joker hunched into his warehouse mumbling something that his men couldn't understand. The four of his men walked in slowly behind him. He had only been locked inside Arkham for five days this time. It took the four of them five days to break him out; and that angered him. He slammed his gun down on the dust covered table in the middle of the room.

"Five days!" He bellowed to the men.

Each of them stood their ground; knowing he wouldn't do anything to them. They were his best men, and each of them had been with him for over three years. He would yell; threaten, and then retreat to his room for a few days.

"What's your fucking excuse, Ace?" He said standing in front of youngest goon.
"We were working as fast as we could, boss." Ace said, keeping his words strong.
"As fast as we could, boss" The Joker repeated in a mocking tone, "Five fucking days isn't fast!" He yelled yet again.

The men stood around the room and listened as he mumbled, walking back and forth. Once he was done yelling at the men, he walked up the stairs and into the room that he claimed as his own.

He stripped himself from his purple jacket and tossed it in the corner. He cracked his neck, and then walked into the bathroom attached to his room. He glanced into the broken mirror and studied his face. His make-up was worn and missing in several different places. Small bits of pale skin was showing through.

He reached down and turned on the water, allowing it a minute to turn from brown to clear, and then dabbed some of the water on his face. He knew he needed to get his revenge on Batman-- but first he had bigger fish to fry. He ended up in Arkham this past time because of the mob; he now wanted to get them back for putting him there.