Fly Me Away

Chapter 25

Time started to fly.

I hadn't seen Pip in ages, which was probably for the best. I started sitting with Kelly and her friends at lunch; Zoe, Hazel and Karina, who I had met earlier, and Monique who was a small, but nearly exact replica of Kelly. They were all nice girls, but they were just company at lunch time, and a little bit of superficial confidence.

Things were becoming more difficult with Jackson.

Our relationship (or whatever we previously had) was strained. Sure, we went out on a couple of dates, and he was often seen with me by my peers, but it was only for show. Jackson had spoken very little since my last break down. It had started a vicious cycle; Jackson was on edge because of my outburst, so he was trying to bother me as little as possible, this, in-turn, had made me upset. As much as I hated to admit it, I liked it when Jackson bothered me.

“You can talk you know....”

His eyes snapped from his full cup of coffee on the table up to my face; I'd woken him from one of his dazes. These were becoming very common as of late.

It was Saturday and Jackson and I were in a cafe called Lebrante drinking expensive Lebrante specials, which was pretty much just coffee.

He blinked before answering, “yes, I'm aware of that.”

“No, I mean, you can talk to me,” I clarified, frowning slightly, “I won't snap at you, if that's what you're worried about.”

He sighed and shook his head, dropping his eyes back to his cup. He opened his mouth to say something, then shut it again, tensing up as if he were listening for something in the distance.

“Could we go somewhere else to talk about this?”

I felt a spasm of panic once the words left his mouth. This was obviously a bigger deal then I had previously thought. I glanced around, wondering why we would need to move, the table was solitary enough....then I saw the reason walk through the door.

The bell tinkled and Bronco sauntered in with two guys and a tomboyish looking girl, who I recognized as the college students he lived with. I immediately ducked my head and locked my eyes with Jackson. His eyebrows were knitted together and his mouth was pressed into a hard line.

“Do you really hate him that much?” I whispered, leaning closer and watching Bronco sit at a table from the corner of my eye.

Jackson didn't answer, he just stood swiftly and gently took me up with him. As I followed him towards the door, a hand shot out and grabbed mine.

“Thought you could get away huh?” Bronco let out a low laugh and unfolded to maximum height beside me, not giving me any chance to escape. He unleashed that dauntless smile and raised an eyebrow playfully, trying gently to ease me back towards him and his friends.

Jackson reached back and took hold of my other hand. This gesture made me blush lightly and my eyes darted to where his hand gripped mine, then slowly to his face. Jackson seemed perfectly placid, but his movement was quick and assertive, as if he thought I would get lost if he let go.

I watched in horror as the boys locked eyes, but their expressions didn't waver like they did the first time; they both looked pretty much emotionless for a long, tense moment. I was officially in the center of a none violent, and not openly acknowledged game of tug-o-war.

Then, Bronco let go of my hand and stretched his arms up above his head, laughing. Jackson seemed to relax, but his grip tightened and he adjusted his hand to slot next to mine more comfortably. My face flooded with color and my eyes quickly darted down to our hands again.

“So you're the boyfriend huh?” Bronco queried. My stomach knotted and I looked back at him, awaiting an onslaught of insults, but none came. He let his arms swing down by his side and he sighed, “we didn't really get a proper introduction last time. I'm Bronco, but you already know right? My parents thought it would be funny to name me that...”

I let out the breathe I was holding. Bronco held out a hand in Jackson's direction. Was he...being civil? Was he trying to be friendly....?

Jackson wasn't trying nearly as hard.

“Jackson,” he stated bluntly, nodding in Broncos direction, but not even sparing bronco's hand a look. I almost scoffed; which one of these boys was the angel again?

Bronco pulled the hand back, laughing, and ran it through his hair. My face went red when I noticed Broncos friends staring at me with confused looks on their faces. Bronco seemed to realize too, as he jumped a bit, and gestured from me to them.“Oh, guys, this is Maggie. She's cute isn't she?”

The three of them made big 'O's with there mouths and nodded, looking me up and down. They had already heard about me, no doubt Bronco's doing. Jackson raised his eyebrows, obviously thinking the same thing I was; did he really just say that about me in front of my 'boyfriend' who obviously hated his guts? Maybe he wasn't trying to be civil after all.

Bronco broke the silence, “What are you two doing this afternoon?” he asked lightly , slumping against a nearby chair, “Going to that Danielle girls party? Heard it's gunna be big.”

I had heard about this party; I knew Danielle. She was a well liked girl, usually somewhere near the top of her classes, and she was probably the best senior tennis player in the school. Kelly and her friends were going, and now that I thought about it, I couldn't remember why I said no in the first place. I was probably just upset about my Jackson situation when it came up. Maybe I should go...

“I don't think so,” Jackson stated, tugging me towards him. I pulled back and frowned, realizing I hadn't said a word since the conversation started.

“Well maybe,” I voiced, “I know Danielle, she would like it if I went...”

Jackson frowned back at me, not liking this answer, but not complaining either.

Bronco twisted his mouth and raised an eyebrow, “Pip will be there though, I hear you two aren't on good terms.”

I shrugged. I wasn't sure how much he knew, him being her beloved brother and all. I didn't think she told him everything, but I wouldn't put it past her.

“She's angry at me right now, but I don't think its too bad. No fights,” I responded, trying to make it seem light hearted. I even managed to laugh a little bit.

“Not with this guy here attached to your arm,” Bronco added, smirking at an unhappy Jackson beside me.

I could see that it took a lot of control for Jackson to smile, but he did, and he looked like a Greek God doing it. It was affectionate, and directed at me; there was a lot of truth in that statement. I smiled up at him proudly, like he'd just overcome a huge obstacle.

“Do you wanna go?” I asked him quietly, content to leave the confrontation there. Jackson nodded and tugged on my hand. He looked away, very bravely giving me a minute to say goodbye.

I twisted back and waved politely to the people sitting at the table, then turned to Bronco, “I'll see you around?”

Bronco's eyebrows were furrowed now and he looked confused. He was staring at Jackson, then flickering his eyes between me and our intertwined hands. I could see that this had upset him, but it was strange that it took so long for him to realize.

“Yeah,” he muttered, tearing his eyes away from out hands and moving back to sit with his friends.

Jackson didn't hesitate to pull me out of there. We burst out the front doors and into the busy, sunlit street. We were in the middle of town, so I had no idea where we could go to talk more privately, and it wasn't like there was anything that could stop people from gravitating towards Jackson. I had gotten used to the looks I got when I was with him, which were usually bewildered ones. Stunned by Jackson's good looks. I laughed out loud at the thought.

“Were did you wanna go?” I asked him, glancing up and down the road, but only seeing large groups of people everywhere. If this was going to turn into an argument, it was probably best if we were alone. There might be an opportunistic girl nearby who see's it as a chance to swoop in on Jackson. I laughed out loud again. Jackson raised an eyebrow at me.

“You're in a good mood,”he said casually, pulling me down the street next to him, “there's a park down the road, we'll go there.”

I nodded, then started walking quickly to try and keep up with him.I didn't want him to let go of my hand I didn't want to fall too far behind, but he was moving very quickly.

To my extreme delight, however, he eventually slowed down his walking until it was in better pace with mine. He apologized, and I sighed gratefully; I thought I was going to have to start jogging.

“I forget how tiny you are,” he laughed, letting go of my hand and replacing it around my waist.

My breathe got caught in my throat as he pulled me against his side, but I managed to churn out a response, “I'm not that tiny. And plus, you have the whole, super human stamina thing going for you right?” I laughed nervously along with him, trying to keep the blush off my face.

He nodded, his face turning serious, “I forget about that sometimes too.”

How could you forget that you're an Angel? Going by what I've learned about them, he's pretty much the perfect human, except he can do heaps of cool things that humans can't do and he'll be the perfect age forever.

“How could you forget something like that?” I asked, running through the benefits in my head.

“It would be so much easier being like you...”

I felt like I shouldn't respond to that. It bewildered me. How would it be easier being me? My life was a mess. I wanted to scream and ask Jackson how he would deal with all my problems, but he wouldn't tell me. He would withdraw and not talk to me anymore, opting to play it safe and not set off one of my stupid outbursts. He most likely had all the solutions in his perfect angelic head.

I sighed and rubbed my eyes with my hands. I could see why Jackson was being cautious around me now; I was pretty much a time bomb. He did absolutely nothing just then and I suddenly wanted to scream at him. Even the fact that he wasn't bothering me made me mad. What was wrong with me? I shook my head and tried to distract myself.

There was a young girl, maybe 13 or 14, with short brown hair walking towards us. She was by herself, but she skipped along happily, slurping a blue slushie. Her eyes bulged out when they landed on Jackson and her slushie was suddenly forgotten. She fumbled around with it, then composed herself, most certainly trying to make it look like it wasn't an accident.

I glanced up at Jackson to see if he'd noticed; I wasn't sure whether he paid people who stared at him much mind. To my surprise, he was smiling at her, but not like a mean 'ha ha you nearly dropped your drink' smile, it was more of a 'that was cute, don't worry about it' kind of thing.

She smiled back shyly and shrugged her shoulders.

I was so jealous.

How often did he smile at random girls like that? I had never taken any notice until now. They were always looking at him and acting stupid like that - everywhere he went they did that! I was the only one who he should be smiling at!

Oh my goodness. What was wrong with me?!

“I think I need to sit down,” I murmured, covering my face with my hands.

Jackson stopped and unhooked his arm, taking me by the shoulders a second later. I dropped my hands off my face and let them hang limply at my sides.

“Are you sick? Is something wrong?” Jackson asked in a worried fashion. He put his hand on my chin and studied my face for signs of ...something. He tilted it in all directions, then placed his hands on my neck just below my jaw. Maybe he was actually trained as a Doctor? Who knew? I didn't. I didn't really know much about him when I thought about it...

None the less, I saw his eyebrows furrow when my face started turning pink. His medical examination was probably the most attention he'd ever paid me. He put his hand on my forehead, then took it off a moment later. He smiled lightly and cupped his cool hands around my face.

“You're feeling a little warm,” he stated quietly, “We're nearly there though. Will you be alright for a couple more minutes?”

I tried, but I couldn't think of any parks that were that close by.... and I'd lived there all my life. I pouted and grabbed his wrists with my hands “why have I never heard of this supposed park?”

His smile grew and he leaned closer to me. My heart doubled in speed, but there was no need. He stopped and let go of my face, hooking his arm back around my waist and gently pulling me back along the footpath.

“You'll see why.”
♠ ♠ ♠
.....sorry for the disappearance. Will that do?