My Knight in Shining...Ah, Screw It. He's an Egotistical Asshole.

(33) My Knight and Shining...ah, screw it. He's a

I was glad, once again to be home. I wonder… would the school call my mom about today?

“I heard about what happened today.” My mom said as soon as I walked in.

Well, I guess that answers my question.

“You are going to do that play, understand?” I knew better than to argue with my mom. So I just nodded.

“Alright, and if you need someone to vent to or cry to, I’m always here.” She ended with a smile. I smiled.

“Thanks, and I probably will, so don’t be taking that back anytime soon.”

She laughed. “I’ll try not to.”

I shrugged myself up the stairs, and did my homework. But every piece of work would remind me of the class, and eventually no matter what, my train of thought would drift to Jake-Jacob, sorry. And it sucked, when again does one get over their heartbreak?

I was just too impatient. Bruises and cuts healed in three days. I was use to that, but this was taking much, much longer.

If there was a god out there, maybe he was looking out for me. Maybe I’d be able to get over him. Maybe…

The next few days flew by like crazy. Blaire had this theory that if I kept busy, it would help me with this whole ‘heartbreak’ situation. And it sort of did, so I guess she was right. Max had been giving me rides to school, and back, thankfully so that I don’t have to put up with that creepy Cody kid again. He kept trying to get the bus driver to assign seats, and put him next to me. HA. Like I was going to allow that to happen.

Theater became intense, it was like German battlegrounds. Between Jacob, Bridgette and I. Screw Romeo and Juliet, this should have been the Midsummer’s Night Dream with all the romance in the air. I was thankful that Bridgette and Jake didn’t talk much though. He would talk to her every once and a while, and she would hug him every once and a while. But oddly he’d push her away…. Probably hoping to string me along more, thinking that he didn’t really like her, and break my heart all over again by making out with her one day. That’s most likely what he was doing. So I never even bothered getting my hopes up.

Though being in denial wasn’t working for me. I had to accept that they were ‘in laa—laoov- screw it. You know what I mean. The word in that Ashlee Simpson song. K? Cool.

The bell rang for the last time, and I hurriedly ran to catch up with Max by his car in the parking lot.

“Hey, how was your day?” I asked once I got there.

“As good as my life’s going to get from now on.” See what he just said? Yeah, he’s been saying things like that a lot lately, I’m starting to think he’s depressed. All he does is mope around. I mean he’s cool, and he laughs with me sometimes, but not nearly as much as he use to. It’s like some big cloud’s hanging over him. It was really weird.

“Well… my day was good. I got an A+ on my sports medicine test.” I smiled.

“Kudos.” He complimented.

“Gracias.” I laughed.

He started the car and drove me home. I lazily entered, and slung my backpack on the ground near the door, untied my shoes, and slipped them off. I headed for the fridge to grab me some well-deserved A+ ice cream, and then plopped down on the couch.

Then my mom came out from her room.

“Good, you’ve already got some ice cream at hand.” She said, with a weak smile.

Utoh….

“What happened?” I said immediately. She knew by now that I knew what she meant when she played the ice cream card.

“So, that restraining order we got on your father last year?” She asked.

“Mhmm…?” I answered, still unsure of where this was leading.

“Well, it’s expired and my lawyer called his lawyer, asking for him to sign it again, agreeing to the terms…” She trailed off.

“Ok… and?” I asked, still confused as to how a stupid paper in the mail could be a source for ice cream.

“Well, we sent it a week ago, and the lawyer called back saying he couldn’t find his client… your dad.”

Shit. I knew where this was going.

“So you’re telling me, that our restraining order had expired, and no one knows where dad went!?”

Mom’s eyes started watering. Oh Great. Way to go Toby.

“Mhmm.” She mumbled, letting hot tears fall on her face.

I got up and put the ice cream carton on the coffee table, and turned off the TV, playing a lost episode of Spongebob.

“Mom, it’s fine. He doesn’t know where we went. He’s probably in some kind of legal trouble, and ran from the police. You know how he got into bar fights, and stole beer illegally. Don’t be scared.” I soothed.

She shook her head up and down, and wiped the tears away form her face.

“You’re probably right. Silly me to be so afraid.”

“Would you rather spend the night with Blaire’s dad? We can all go over there, it’ll be one really cool-parents involved- sleepover.”

She laughed. “Would that be Ok with you?” Silly mom, always thinking of others.

“Duh. I practically live there anyways.”

“Alright, I’ll call Eric and tell him. Go pack.”

I did as followed, and gathered my stuff for a few nights of sleepovers. Who know’s when it’ll be safe to come back home?

Soon, mom and I put our suitcases in the car. Doing so reminded me of the first day we left my dad’s.

::FLASHBACK::

I rolled over as the blood trickled down from my freshly open wound. It matted in my hair, and ran down both sides of my face. I struggled against the wall, now feeling the broken rib that was caused from being pushed down the stairs.

“GET UP!! GETTTTTT UPPPPPP!!!” My father roared at me. When I didn’t move, I shut my eyes, hoping I could remember a time when he wasn’t like this and we were a happy family.

I remember my three-year-old birthday party, where my dad helped me get onto the pony, and I got to ride it for half an hour, before the clown came. All my friends were jealous that I got to ride on Mr. Brownie before they did. I smiled up at my dad.

“You look just like a Princess, honeybee.” He complimented. I smiled, because I had felt like one too.

But not now, now I felt lower than low. I might as well have been six feet under, at least the pain would just go away.

His hard boot collided into my side, as it hit my broken rib. I screamed out in pain before biting my lip to shut myself up. He got bad when I woke the neighbors.

I could hear my mom sobbing in the background.

“FINE!! LAY THERE YOU SPOILED LITTLE BRAT!!” He screamed, throwing a beer bottle next to my head, and it shattered, a piece of glass hit my shoulder and I winced.

I smelt the faint smell of beer before I passed out cold.

I woke up, to a cold rag on my head. My mom looked down on me with a black eye, and a cut across her cheek.

“We’re getting out of here Toby.” She whispered, hopefully.

I just blinked at her, in too much pain to find my voice.

“I’ve seen him hit my baby girl for the last time.” She said, as hot tears leaked out from her swollen eyes.

“Tomorrow Morning, when he goes to work, we’re packing up and moving near grandma and grandpa. Mr. Terrinson came and looked at you. He had to stitch up that nasty wound on your head, and he gave you a brace for that broken rib. Said it was just fractured, and that it should heel completely in two weeks.”

“We should be arriving there in about a month. I’m going to stop by at your grandma and grandpa’s house first. I’ve got to find a decent house that can be offered with my income, there. Alright?” She said smiling.

For once in my life ,I felt hopeful. I felt like it was a sign, that I was good for something other than a punching bag. That I didn’t have to hid behind sweatshirts, and baggy pants. I could wear dressed now, and sleep in a safe bed.

I smiled. Wherever we were going… it would be a hell of a lot better than this.

::ENDFLASHBACK::

The next day, we loaded our suitcases into the car, blasting our favorite songs once we hit the highway, smiling as we left the hellhole we use to call home.

My dad wouldn’t ever bug us again, is what I though, but here he was stirring fear into our heart’s again. I sighed, heaving my bag into the Jeep.

We drove into the Davis’s driveway.

We walked up to the door, and ran the doorbell. I wonder if my mom told Mr. Davis about my dad?

“Oh, there you are Annette.” He greeted, smiling sympathetically.

“I’m so sorry to hear about your dead ex-husband. You can stay here for as long as needed.” Then he turned to me. “You too, Toby.” He smiled.

So… she told him he died? Horrible thing to lie about? No- we wouldn’t be here if he was dead, we’d be out celebrating and getting drunk. Even if I was under the age, such great things as my father’s death needed to be celebrated.

“Thank you, Eric. This means so much to us.” My mom said, greeting him with a peck on the cheek.

“Yeah, thank you Mr. Davis.” I said, greeting him with a handshake.

“Do you know where Blaire is?” I asked.

“Yes, she’s in her room listening to some new CD she just bought.” He rolled his eyes and I laughed.

“Ok.” I laughed, hearing the bass beat through the ceiling.

She was blasting ‘Good Girls Go Bad.’ By Cobra starship.

She was jumping around in tubesocks, a cami and some gray sophies. I just busted out laughing.

“OH! HEYY TOBY!” She yelled over the music, looking slightly embarrassed.

“AND I THOUGHT ADAM COULD DANCE!! BUT YOU COULD RUN HIM FOR HIS MONEY ANYDAY!” I yelled back.

“She laughed and turned up the music, beckoning me to dance with her, and so I did. I did all night long, until we fell asleep watching ‘Get Smart’.

I woke the next morning to see Blaire drooling, and I cracked up. Like a glow stick, no joke it was a sight you could charge people to come and see.

She grumbled saying ‘five more minutes’. Before my loud, obnoxious laughter woke her up.

“What?” She asked.

“Nothing, you could fill a lake with all that drool though.” I said, and started to laugh again. She just hit me in the arm and got up to get ready.

She drove me to school that day, and I called Max saying that Blaire is my new Shafer (sp?).

I spent the whole morning feeding Blaire math problems for the test. And because I’m such a great tutor… we both passed with flying colors. It was Theater that was interesting.

“REHEARSAL EVERYONE!! REHEARSAL!” Mr. M shouted, frantically running all around the room.

Student council was there, helping to set up the stage for tonight’s show.

We painted signs, and hung banners, and then we had to get on stage with costume and everything to act out every scene.

It almost seemed as if Mr. M had no faith in us. How sad.

I avoided Jacob all period, chatting with this nice girl in our class, Gabby.

She was cool. We cut out cardboard swords together, and painted them a cool silver color.

When it was time, everyone went backstage to try on our costumes.

“That dress probably won’t look very good on you. It’s navy blue and gold, and you’re most definitely a rosemary peach.” Bridgette’s annoying little voice rang in my ears.

“Well, you wear pink all the time, when your color is most definitely vomit green, but do I complain? No.” I shot back, and her face twisted into shock.

She humphed and walked off. I half expected to see Jake run after her to comfort her and tell her how beautiful she was, but no.

Demitri actually filled that part, while Jacob muffled his laughter. I rolled my eyes at them.

Jake should really watch his back, I think Demitri is trying to make a move on his…girl.

Blech, it was hard saying those words.

I just opened my box to try on the dress.

It was really pretty. (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qRYUeD9AL._AA280_.jpg)

Once I tried it on, I felt like Juliet. As if I were her… probably just because it looked so good on me. Haha, no just kidding I’m not cocky like little miss silicon-head.

But it did fit me rather well, I was expecting it to be baggy and ugly.

I smiled at my reflection in the bathroom.

“REPORT TO STAGE EVERYONE! THE REHEARSAL HAS BEGUN!” Mr. M instructed.

I rushed out of the bathroom, to see no one backstage. I ran into position on stage.

And so the dreadful rehearsal went. I felt like throwing up every time I had to pretend to me in love with Romeo aka. Jacob Naughtinham.

Though, it’s not like I’ve never loved him before. I probably still loved him, therefore the part was easy to play. But it made me want to cry, when the scene would become so intense and then Mr. M would call cut, and Jacob would back a good distance away from me.

It was worse when Bitchette clapped after almost every paraphrase he said.

Then the kissing scene came.

I didn’t want to kiss him. It would hurt too bad. So I just closed my eyes and pecked him.

Even the slightest brush of lip against lip sent lost shockwaves through my body. My skin like electricity. His positive, mine negative; pulling me towards him, but I quickly stepped back and bowed, signaling the end the scene.

All that was left to do was ‘fake-die’, lay there until Jacob said his romantic dying words to me, and then watch him ‘fake kill himself’. Then shoot myself in the head, and I could to History.

But it was kind of funny how right after Romeo/Jacob drank the fake-poison the bell rang, signaling the end of the period. I quickly got changed into my normal clothes and came back out.

Mr. M clapped.

“I feel like we’re ready for tonight. Jacob, Tabitha, good job getting along.”

Jake nodded.

“Whatever.” I said, grabbing my stuff to leave.

“This will be an extraordinary night.” Mr. M said, grinning away.

Ha. You could say that. Let’s see if I don’t replace that ‘fake-poison’ of his with the real kind.

I smiled at the thought, and left the classroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you liked this longer chapter, and the little flashback tidbit.

tell me what you guys think? (AKA! COMMENT AWAYY XD )

**** IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY, I WOULD REALLY LIKE IT IF YOU GUYS READ MY POEMS & COMMENTED ON THEM WITH ADVICE, WRITING CRITIQUES, AND EVEN COMPLIMENTS >:DDD

thanks so much everybody.

-Haley.