Rollercoaster

Chapter 22

Aimee's POV

I ran quickly up the stairs, tripping a few times on my way. I didn't care though. I was so excited about seeing Anna again. I hadn't seen her since the night of the concert, we really needed to catch up.

I finally reached her room. I knocked it loudly.

"For God's Sake Mum! Shut the hell up!"

Anna? It didn't sound much like her. I kept knocking, hoping she would come out.

Soon I heard a loud groan and the door flung open. Oh my God. I looked the girl who stood before me up and down. This wasn't Anna! It couldn't be! Her hair was scraped back into a tight plait, and she'd obviously used a mass of hairspray as it looked rock hard. Huge gold earrings made her ears look bigger than they were. Her low cut shirt barely covered her stomach and was very tight for her over her skinny frame. A huge gold pendant hung from her neck. Her neon lycra skirt was far too short and she wore Nike trainers with it. No, this couldn't be Anna.

"Aimee?" She stood at the doorframe, her jaw dropping a bit. She must have noticed something was wrong from my expression.

"Umm, come in I guess." She walked back into her room, and I followed her.

What was going on? Her black and red walls were now a rather putrid shade of hot pink, and the bats were no more. Everything had changed. No posters were on the wall. Her duvet was no longer skull covered, but the same shade of pink as the walls. A bigger girl sat on the bed, staring at me. She was dressed just as slutty as Anna. Dance music played loudly from a stereo on a desk, along with photos of Anna at, what looked like nightclubs, with the tall girl. I searched through all of them. The one of us two wasn't there. In fact, neither was the one of her and her family. What had happened since I'd been gone? Anna had completely changed.

"Sarah, this is Anna. Anna, Sarah." She said, motioning to each of us. I reached out my hand, willing for her to shake it.

Sarah laughed. "You expect me to say hi to that?!" She pointed to me.

"Excuse me?" I glared at her.

"Well, look at you! You're one of those cutter things!" She laughed again and shuddered when she said "cutter".

I lifted my sleeve. "Does it look like I cut? I don't think so. Anyways, at least I don't look like a slut!" I laughed now.

"What the fuck did you call me?!" She yelled, jumping from the bed. She was shouting in my face when Anna interrupted.

"Aimee calm down please," She looked at me.

Me? Calm down? Did she not see her "friend" and what she called me?

Anna pulled me aside. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" She glared at me. "You think you can just come in here and start on my best friend?" She stopped when she said the last bit.

"Best friend? Oh I'm sorry, have you completely forgotten about me?" I whispered, a tear rolling down my cheek.

"You've been gone a month, Aimee. What was I meant to do? Wait?"

"I would have waited for you, Anna, and you know that. We were best friends. You were my only friend!"

She remained silent, looking at the ground.

"You've changed Anna! What happened?" I searched her eyes.

"I've changed? That's rich, coming from you! As soon as Frank Iero comes along, you run off with him and completely forget about me! What about me, huh? Who'll stick up for me when the preps come along and shout emo threats?" She suddenly stopped, in case Sarah heard.

I gasped, suddenly realising why she was acting so strangely."So that's why you're the way you are. You were scared."

She nodded slowly and started crying. I hugged her tight, the way we used to if either one of us got upset. I suddenly felt something grab hold of my hair and yank me away. I looked up. Sarah's raging face looked down on me.

"What do you think you're doing to Anna? You think you can just come in and depress her?" She grabbed my hair tighter, making me wince. "Well we don't all wanna be like you emo's, alright?" She waited for a response. I nodded, careful not to pull out any hair.

She let go of my hair and patted my head. "Good emo." She laughed her annoying laugh again and looked at Anna beside her. She was expressionless, her face still wet with tears.

I walked towards the door.

"Oh and before I forget," Sarah called. I turned round. "You'd better keep your distance at school. I mean it. One move, that's all it takes, and you'll be dead meat." She formed her hands into fists. "You can go now emo. But remember what I said."

I ran down the stairs, tears flowing down my cheeks. I didn't stop when I reached the bottom. I kept on running till I got to the car. Getting into the car, I fastened the seatbelt and threw my head against the headrest. When Frank reached me, my face was soggy from all the crying and I could hardly see him.

"Let's go home and talk about it," He put his hand on my leg and started the car.

"There's nothing to talk about," I sniffed. "People change. People move on. That's it."