Rollercoaster

Chapter 50

Aimee's POV

I nervously walked through the doors of the hospital, Gerard's hand linked in mine. I could feel people staring. I knew they what they were thinking.

"That's that girl. The psycho one from yesterday."

I just carried on walking, waiting to see Frank's face again. They said he still hadn't woken up, but he was breathing on his own now. That had to be good...

A nurse led us up to Ward 4: the car accident unit. Some of these people hadn't been home in months. Some of them were so badly affected, this was their new home. But I know Frank, he's stronger than that.

Entering the ward quietly, we made our way over to the last bed on the left. Linda was there, putting bouquets of flowers and cards all over the window sill and over the frame of the metal bed. She jumped when she saw us and ran over to me, pulling me into a tight hug.

"You okay, sweetie?"

I nodded and took a seat beside the bed.

Frank looked a lot better. Cuts were still visible, but the blood had been washed off. His legs were in two white casts on the bed. I smiled, noticing he wasn't wearing a hospital gown, but his Spider-man jumpsuit.

"Still not woken up?" Gerard asked, setting a bag of Frank's things on a small table beside the bed.

Linda sighed a bit and rubbed her eyes. "No. I asked the doctor when he might wake, but he said..." She rubbed the tears forming her eyes, and pulled Gerard this time into a hug.

Gerard turned to me. "We're just going down to the cafeteria for a coffee. You want anything?"

I shook my head and smiled. They smiled back and waved, before heading out in search of the cafeteria.

I stood up, peering through all the cards. Most of them were from Linda's friends, or someone in the record company. I sat back down in the seat, reading every individual poem inside. I was amazed at how many people knew already. I was just glad the paparazzi hadn't heard yet.

I heard footsteps behind me, and jumped as someone placed their hand on my shoulder.

"Hey."

I turned, blinking a few times to register it was Sean standing there. I leaped up to hug him.

"How is he?"

"Well he's breathing on his own now, but he still hasn't woken up." I looked down at Frank, and held his hand in mine.

Sean took a card out of a paper bag and set it among the others. It said "You're not in this alone." on the front. It wasn't one of those baby blue sweet ones with daffodils on and stuff like that. Instead it was a person on a hospital bed, like Helena, and people gathered round her crying. It was raining in the backround and everyone was holding an umbrella.

I stared at him in surprise. "Did you draw that?"

He smiled. "Maybe."

He then took out a piece of paper from the bag and handed it to me. "That's what i was drawing yesterday."

I unrolled it and my eyes widened in shock. Two outlines of a girl and a boy holding hands were in the middle of it. In the backround was a sunset, and they were walking into it. The words "Early sunsets over Newark" were in black above the picture.

It wasn't like anything I had ever seen before. I looked up at him. "This is amazing, Sean! But, who is it?"

He blushed. "Guess."

I gasped and jumped to hug him.

He laughed and sat beside me, holding one of my hands, while Frank was holding the other.

I rest my head on Sean's shoulder and sighed. "I really hope he's okay."

Frank's grip suddenly tightened on mine and he opened one eye.

"Aimee?" He whispered.