Rollercoaster

Chapter 59

Mikey's POV

Before had been tough. When Aimee fell asleep upstairs, I decided to go out and leave Frank for a bit. Just long enough for him to calm down.

I looked at my watch. It read seven. Was that it? I'm sure I was gone longer than two hours...

I hesitated in the hall. Absolutely no one was around and it was far too quiet. But I knew someone must be in, or else the door would have been locked.

"Hello?" My voice was loud and estranged in amidst all this silence.

I heard something thump on the carpet in the lounge. I peered in. The stereo was crackled and the track kept jumping in it. I strained my ears to hear a muffled 'Famous Last Words'.

Beer cans knocked together as I kicked them out of my way.

"But where's your hearrrtttt...?"

And there I saw him. It was like the past was coming back to haunt me. But it wasn't Gerard this time....

He saw me and quickly tried to get up. Of course, being drunk, he lost his balance and flew back, pulling the table with him. This got him in a fit of laughter.

I went over and knelt beside him.

"Frank?" I whispered.

His head spun round immediately.

"Mikey! How 'ya doin', mannnn? I haven't seen you in so long...." He slurred, beaming.

"Frank, what the hell happened here?" I asked, taking a look around this broken room.

His face brought on a look of confusion and he followed my gaze. "Gee, I dunno. I mean, I was just here when it happened..."

I didn't bother finding out what 'it' was. "Where's Aimee?"

He didn't answer and slugged another beer.

"Where's Aimee?" I asked again, a little louder this time.

He looked straight at me, his eyes filled with hatred.

"You would like to know, wouldn't you? Well she's upstairs, so why don't you just get the hell outta my sight?"

The beer he was drinking quickly became empty and he threw it at a pile of about twenty other bottles.

I grabbed his arm as he reached for another beer.

"I think you've had enough of those, Frank."

"You can't tell me what to do!" He shouted.

The next thing I know, Frank's right fist is lunging for my face. But I've suffered getting beat up too man times in the past... I dodge right on cue, and Frank falls flat on the floor with the force.

I look cautiously at him, before getting up and walking towards his head.

"Frank?"

"I'm sorry Mikey. I'm so sorry..." He spoke softly into the carpet.

I sighed. "It's okay, dude. Here, let me help you up."

I crouched down and offered my hand out. He held onto it strongly and pulled himself up, so he was sitting beside me. His eyes were red and tears streamed down his cheeks. He sniffed a few times before speaking again.

"What have I done wrong?" He looked straight into my eyes, as if I had the answer.

"Nothing! Frank you've been a great dad, and still are! Things like this happen, you just have to...."

He cut me off. "I'm not talking about the pregnancy." He put his head in his hands. "She hates me, Mikes."

"What? Look, I think you should leave this till tomorrow. Get some sleep." I stood up, heading for the door.

"She told me. She wishes I'd never adopted her." He paused as tears welled up in his eyes. "No. She wishes you adopted her." He looked up for a response. I remained silent. "I'd better go then. Wouldn't want to get in the way of you and your new daughter." He said strongly, and brushed past me.

I stopped him before he got out. "Frank, listen to me."

He stopped and listened intently. "Whatever happened today, let's just try and forget it a little bit, okay? It's been hard all right. For everyone. But especially Aimee. She's just confused and upset. She didn't mean what she said earlier. She loves you. You saved her. Right now I bet she's scared, and she just needs you to go to her and let her know everything's gonna be just fine. And do you seriously think I'd be good as a father? No way! I can't even look after myself properly!"

He laughed a bit.

"Well, I don't know about you, but I'm beat!"

He nodded and we made our way upstairs.

"Mikey?" I turned just before reaching my room.

"Mmm hmm?" I mumbled.

"You know the one real thing I'm scared about?" He asked.

I shrugged.

"I'm gonna be a grandfather at twenty six..."