Status: Very, very slow Active

Crayons

Mom!

The rest of English went by relatively quickly. Emily was happy that it wasn’t as scary as the English at her old school, and she even kind of liked it. Adam taught her how to spell some words she was having trouble with, and started her with some vocabulary: recreation, automobile, respite, and blossom, which were all larger synonyms of words she knew well.

Adam told her that she would have a little vocabulary quiz at the end of each week, but not to worry because he would help her, and it wouldn’t really count for anything.

Science and History went well. Adam and Emily started planning their first science experiment: ice cream. Monday through Thursday they would plan, and on Friday they would make the ice cream. (Now, ice cream doesn’t seem like much of a experiment, but Adam had found a kids science website online and apparently, when done the right way, making ice cream is a form of chemical reaction.)

This made Emily really excited. The only thing she liked more then play-time and purple was chocolate ice cream.

During history, Emily learned about the First President of the United States, George Washington. After learning about the highlights of his life, she wrote a little about him. Adam didn’t help her, (to see if she’d learned anything during her English) so it ended up a little like this:

George Washington was born on Febuary 22 in 1723. He was born in Virjinya. George was a General in the Military and fout in sume wars. He became President in 1789 and was President for 2 terms. George Washington dide wen he was 67. He is bareed in Virjinya where he was born.

Adam had Emily use some pages he printed from a schooling website and when she was done, he hung it on a wall. Emily had never felt so proud.

Adam hadn’t either. He smiled at Emily’s surprisingly neat handwriting, glad he’d always be able to read her work.

It was time for Snack. Emily didn’t know she was going to have snack, so she didn’t pack anything. Adam took out a brown paper bag and set it on the table in front of him. Emily fumbled with her hands, cursing herself for not having a snack.

“Emily?” she looked up at him, unsmiling. “You don’t have a snack?”

Emily shook her head, ashamed.

“I told your mother to pack you one. I guess she forgot.”

She suddenly got very angry. At her mom, at herself. She kicked at the table leg, and hit it.

“Ouch!” Adam cried. He reach for his aching leg, and Emily stared at him in horror. She hadn’t meant to kick him!

“I-I-sososososo sorry!” she wailed, wanting to die. Why did she have to be so awkward? And on the first day at that!

“It’s okay! Emily! It’s alright!” Adam laughed, and Emily stopped crying. “I know it was an accident, I’m fine. It’s okay.”

Emily nodded, still embarrassed.

“Do you like grapes, Emily?”

She nodded. “Purple ones.”

“Well that’s exactly what I have.”

So they shared purple grapes as a snack.

-

Emily was really upset when her mom came to pick her up. She wasn’t still mad about the snack, but her mom had been worried and took off work and hour early, and so Emily missed her whole Recreation time.

But Emily decided not to fight about it. Last time she got mad she embarrassed herself.

Instead, Emily gave her mom her schedule, and showed her the paper she wrote about George Washington.

“Oh, my goodness! One day, and her spelling is already improving! I’m so proud of you!”

Lindsey grabbed Emily around her shoulders, ignoring her struggling to pull away.

It wasn’t that Emily disliked her mother, because she didn’t. She loved her mom very much. But Emily didn’t like for people to touch her, unless it was really quickly. Adam was the exception, one she didn’t understand at all.

When her mom finally pulled away, Emily gave her mom a tour of the classroom just like Adam had given her. She showed her all the different areas, including the snack area.

When she got to this one, Emily not only felt the embarrassment rise up in her stomach, but the anger too.

She reminded her mother, very calmly, about the snack she had forgotten. Lindsey apologized, using her excitement as an excuse. Emily felt better then.

When they were about to leave, Adam reminded Emily of what he told her during one of the breaks.

“Why don’t you tell your mom what you need, Emily?”

She wanted to, but couldn’t remember some of thing that she needed to buy.

“Can’t.” she whimpered, and her mom frowned, confused.

“What can’t you tell me, Em?”

“Can’t remember.”

Adam whispered the list of supplies in her ear. She smiled.

“Mom, I need Binders, a lunchbox, some pencils, and div-div….dividers!”

Lindsey almost cried. She couldn’t believe how quickly Emily was changing, right before her own eyes.

“And how many binders do you need, Emily?” Adam asked her.

“Four!”

Lindsey did cry.

-

On the way home, Emily sat in the front seat of her mom’s car, letting her hand rest on the open window. Lindsey had cried most of the way home, but finally stopped when they were a few blocks away.

“Emily, you’ll never understand how proud of you I am. I-I never expected you to come out of there sounding so grownup!”

“I’m fifteen.” Emily mumbled.

“I know, I know. But I’m not used to you sounding that old!”

Emily nodded, pulling her chilled hand off the window and rolled the window up with the hand lever.

“And…Adam is pretty easy to look at, huh?” Lindsey smiled.

Emily’s face turned into a tomato. Her newly found maturity must have made her mom want to talk about a boy that way, right? And what did her mom even mean?

Emily didn’t really understand what her mom said, but she was embarrassed anyway.

She refused to talk the rest of the way home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Emily's paper on George Washington:Link

Comment? Critique?