Forever

A Hospital Stay

I woke up feeling groggy. I squinted to see.

"Oh thank Heavens!" someone said, and I felt them hug me.

"Mom, don't hug him too tight, he might be sore."

That sounded like, "Mikey?" I asked.

I opened my eyes, seeing a little better now. Mikey stood over me at my bedside.

"Where am I?"

"You're at a hospital here in Manhattan. You're gonna be okay. Everything is alright." Mikey said grabbing my hand, tears in his eyes.

"I'm in a hospital? Why? How? What happened?" I asked completely confused now.

"You were found in some video store on the floor. You inhaled a lot of smoke and debris. You must of got dehydrated so bad that you passed out, and hit your head on a table. You nearly had a concussion. You are so lucky."

"The store..that's right..the.." I trailed off, looking around the room, it was all coming back to me now. " Allie!" I shouted " I have to get her! She needs me!" throwing the covers off me, and jumping out of bed, the IV in my arm got yanked out as I took off. I felt immediate pain and fell to my knees.

"Gerard, wait!" Mikey ran around the bed to the other side and knelt down next to me, "dude she's gone. She was in the North Tower, it collapsed. She's gone."

"What? No, she's not gone!" I yelled at him, "Get out of my way, I need to get her, there's not enough time." I said.

I looked over to see my Mom crying into my Father's chest. Mikey grabbed me again, holding me in his arms.

"Dude, she's gone. Please, everything is going to be alright. You almost didn't make it yourself. It's all over now. Please Gerard, please. Let her go." Mikey said now rocking me like a baby.

I pulled away slightly and looked at him straight in the eyes. I saw my reflection in his glasses. I had a huge gash on my face that ran from my forehead down my nose and curved under my right eye. My face was all pale. My normally greenish brown eyes were now bloodshot. It hit me. Reality that is. Even though at that time it all felt like a bad dream I was trying to escape from.

I sat staring at my little brother on the floor of the hospital room.

You know how they say your life will flash before your eyes before you die? Well, even though I was not dying, I saw quick images flash in my head. Me walking to Allie, standing by the moving truck. Her black hair flowing in the wind as she tossed it back behind her shoulder. Running home and her knocking me off the steps. Us laughing in the grass. The first time she kissed me in the hall, even if it was to make a point to Josh Ludo. Her looking into my eyes, a tear down her face, handing me my drawing. The red dress, the glitter, the music, and flickering lights. The band, us playing in my garage. Laughing.
Her running to me on the street of Manhatten. Us walking on the beach, her saying yes to my proposal. Us kissing. Her famous last words to me,
"I love you Gerard Arthur Way."

As I snapped out of it, I looked back at Mikey. My mouth hanging open. There was beeping in the room. When the IV was pulled out, it alarmed the nurse's station. I hugged Mikey. Crying on his shoulder. Crying and crying and crying until I could cry no more. We sat on that floor of the hospital room on the night of September 12th, 2001, my little brother doing his best to comfort me, when he too lost not only his soon to be sister-in-law, but his best friend.