Sequel: Life After Death
Status: Sequel, Life After Death, is currently posted!

Accidents Can Happen

Chapter 24

Stryker's office was brighter than the hallways. His office looked like your typical office with exception to the large concrete walls. His desk was in the center with a few filing cabinets behind it. I calmly took a seat in one chair that was placed in front of the desk. Three minutes passed and I started to get anxious. I stood up and started to pace the length of the room. Another minute passed and still no Stryker. When I passed Stryker's desk I noticed two brown folders. I quickly looked away and walked to the corner farthest away from his desk. I managed to hold off for two minutes before the temptation took over.

Sat down at his desk and flipped the top folder open. I was greeted by a picture of me. The picture was recent because my hair was green. I scanned though the information. It had all the information about my new identity along with my old. There was nothing in it that shocked me so I shut it and turned my attention to the folder under it. This one was about Logan. After leaving us in Africa he moved to a small town in Alaska. The only detail that confused me about this folder were two words that were placed below his name. Weapon X. I flipped his folder closed and began searching Stryker's desk. I knew it was very irresponsible of me to be riffling through Stryker's desk when he could walk in at any moment but curiosity got the best of me.

There was nothing out of the ordinary in his desk. All the drawers were locked but with my mutation it was easy to open them. There was a gun and an extra round of bullets in the bottom draw. I didn't feel comfortable being in a room with Stryker when he had a gun, even through the it held no harm for me. I shoved the gun and ammo into the inside pocket of my coat. I then moved over to investigate the filing cabinets. I made through the top drawer of one cabinet but that was all I needed.

The cabinets were full of similar folders. I pulled one out at random and opened it. Another familiar face greeted me. John Wraith had apparently left the team and moved to Las Vegas. I wondered why he had left but the folder didn't say, so I replaced it and pulled another one out. I didn't recognize the person in the second folder, nor did I recognize the third one. But they all were mutants and each folder contained numerous test result. After looking through a few more folders I came to the realization that captured mutants were being experimented on. My stomach did a somersault.

I heard sirens begin to sound somewhere the distance. I risked pulling a sixth folder out. This one made my stomach do a full layout. Wade's comedic grin smiled back at me. Accompanying his smile was a red stamp that read Decreased. My first thought was Victor but the file said Wade Wilson had died of cancer. But I knew that Stryker had to have something to do with his death because next to his name, like Logan's, was the word Weapon XI. I was surprised to feel a single tear roll down my cheek. But my mourning was cut short by the door opening and Stryker walking in flanked by three men in uniforms, who each were carrying guns. They all stopped in their tracks when they saw me with a file in my hands.

"Hasn't anyone ever told you that curiosity killed the cat, Lorna?" Stryker said, wiping the shock off his face.

"Yes, but I'm not a cat." I said calmly.

"I really don't want to have to kill you." Stryker said, remorsefully.

"And I really don't want to have to kill you but life isn't fair."

An amused smile can to his face. "Goodbye, Lorna Dane." He then marched out of the room, leaving me with the three armed soldiers. I calmly replaced Wade's file and closed the draw as the soldiers aimed their guns. Stryker didn't actually think that three regular soldiers could just kill me with guns, did he? If he really wanted to kill me he should have sent Zero. Even then I'd still manage to escape.

Time seemed to slow as the soldiers pulled their triggers. The three bullets stopped in mid-air before falling to the floor. Confused, the soldiers pulled the trigger again only this time I get let the gun fire. Then the three soldiers were pushed backwards into the concrete wall by a magnetic pulse from my outstretched hand. In the two years I lived on my own, I learned how to control my force fields and magnetic pulses. The soldiers crumpled to the ground as I ran out into the hallway.

It was empty and the sirens had stopped. I ran through the empty halls, trying to remember the way to the exit. Minutes passed as I raced around. The sirens began to sound again so I ran faster. A few minutes later, I finally made it to the door. Outside was just as empty as the halls. The two guards were gone, but the car I had come in was still there. After successfully hot wiring it, I speed away from Alkali Lake.