Sequel: Life After Death
Status: Sequel, Life After Death, is currently posted!

Accidents Can Happen

Chapter 28

It took us about 20 minutes to decide how to get there. In the end we settled on John's and Logan's motorcycles. I decided to ride with John because I wasn't sure how much experience Logan had with a bike. Sleep-deprived, I headed towards New Orleans with Logan and John. The whole plan gave me deja vu; going to New Orleans to find Remy LeBeau. Except this time I felt more anxious, more frighten. Part of me, about 49 percent, didn't want to reach the end of this road. I just wanted to crawl back to my bed in Philadelphia and sleep.

But I was able to do half of that. About an hour into the trip I fell asleep on the back of the motorcycle. I woke up a few times but the lack of significant landscaping made it impossible for me to tell where we were. A few minutes later, I would fall back asleep. Bright lights and loud music woke me up for a final time. It would have taken me longer to figure out where I was it I didn't see the large sign that said Bourbon Street. I exhaled heavily.

The New Orleans streets were full of people, as they usually were on a Saturday night. Logan and John parked their bikes outside a very familiar building. It took me a few seconds to realize that I had been there before, two years ago with the team. As I stood up, I felt some of my joints pop. My body felt like it had been crammed into a too small of a box. My muscles were aching.

A sense of dread filled my stomach as I followed John and Logan pass the doorman into the casino. The inside was the same as it had been two years earlier. The same dark wood paneling with red walls. Same crowded bar. And the same arrangement of game tables. It even had the same amount of cigarette smoke in the air. "So where's this Remy LeBeau?" Logan asked, looking at the crowd of people before him.

I scanned the room. He wasn't that hard to find. I found him sitting at a poker table, shuffling cards. He hadn't change much since I last saw him. "That's him." I pointed to Remy as he did a weird trick with the stack of cards.

"Okay. I'm going to go cover the back in case he rabbits." John said.

"I'm not going to fight with him." Logan replied. I gave a short laugh. "What? I get in fights with everybody?"

"Don't dogs chase cats?" John said before he headed towards the back.

After John was out the door, Logan turned to me and asked, "So what are you gonna do?"

I thought about it for a minute. There wasn't really anyway I could help either of them but I didn't want to face Remy. "I guess I'll go with John." I said before I headed for the back door. I had only gone about ten feet when a man blocked my path. He was young, maybe 21. His blonde hair was messy but in the 'it's suppose to be this way' messy. His eyes were an unnatural blue color. There were light blue but they looked transparent. There was a large smile on his face. "Eh, hello?" I said, confused.

The smile widened. "Hello. I'm Bobby Drake." He said as he offered me his hand. Still unsure, I shook his hand and told him my name. "Can I get you a drink?"

"Eh, sure. I just have to go to the restroom." I said before I stepped around him and headed in the direction of the restrooms. When I was out of his view, I changed directions and darted to the back door.