Sequel: Life After Death
Status: Sequel, Life After Death, is currently posted!

Accidents Can Happen

Chapter 32

It all happened so fast. I didn't even hear the glass shatter as Logan and Victor fell through it. I cradled my head in hands praying for my hearing to return. For about thirty seconds all I could hear was a constant ringing. When the ringing stopped, I could hear the blood pulsing through my head. Only then did I take my eyes off the ground and look up.

Behind me was a series of what I assumed were doctors. All of them were dressed in white coats and they were operating on the body that was placed on the hospital bed. In front of me was Stryker, also wearing a white coat, and the women, who was now looking down form the broken window in the floor below. Stryker's voice entered my ear and my head gave a scream of pain, "You should have left this alone, Lorna. You shouldn't have come here." I didn't respond. I wasn't sure if I could respond. My whole body seemed foreign to me.

Stryker continued to talk. "Lorna, I would like you to look behind you and meet Weapon XI." A spark went off in my mind at the sound of Weapon XI. It sound familiar but I couldn't remember. My body instantly felt weak from the lack of adenerdline. I wasn't sure how long I had been up or what day it was. Everything seemed to run together in a giant puzzle of events that I couldn't piece together. "I call him Deadpool. For the past five years, long before I created the team, I've been gathering mutants' power; studying them. I've hoped of combing them into one powerful mutant. And after five long years of searching. After many blunders and obstacles, I have finally created the ultimate mutant killer."

I just stared at him as my mind's ability to process what he was saying increased to its normal rate. "You see, Lorna. The two species are on the verge of war. We have been for some time now. It's only a matter of time before the war goes public. And I'm going to bring the war to you before you can bring it to us. I'll end the war before it even starts. All with one generically engineered mutant: Deadpool." Stryker said proudly.

"Why me?" My voice was rough and quiet. He could have fulfilled his doomsday plan without me. "Why me?" I repeated.

The smile that had been plastered on Stryker's face during his speech, faded a little. But not much. "At first, I regretted my decision to recruit you. You were much too young to handle the mental and physical pressure of being a soldier. But your powers seemed to be so unique, I ignored all that in hope that farther training would allow your powers to grow and expand. To say the least, I was disappointed. After a while it become clear that your powers were fully mutated and you held no surprises in your abilities. That was until Zero brought something to my attention after your trip to New Orleans."

"He said how while you were trying to seduce Mr. LeBeau, you consumed a lot of alcohol. And yet you showed no signs of intoxication. After studying the blood samples taken from you when you first joined the team, we noticed an irregularity between your blood and other members' blood. Your blood contained a different type of white blood cells. Stronger than the normal ones. More effective. Your white blood cells attacked and destroyed any foreign material that entered the blood. Everything from alcohol to poisons to HIV was destroyed within seconds of being in the blood. And no traces of the materials were found in the blood. So, it would appear that your blood is immune to any disease and foreign substances that are placed in your body. Unfortunately, all of your sampled blood was used up during testing. But thanks to your little fall, we have no problems."

I looked down at my arm, it was covered in blood and the cut was still slowly bleeding. A small pool of blood had gathered at the base of my feet. I normally would have been alarmed by the amount of blood but there seemed to be more important things to worry about. My head hurt from both my fall and Stryker's long speech. I looked back towards him and the smile was brighter than ever. Every thing Stryker said made sense. My unknown mutation explained why I never got sick as a child. Why no amount of pain medication had any effect on my migraines.

The whole situation was too much. It's not a good feeling discovering that other people knew more about yourself than you do. It makes you question everything you thought you knew about yourself. It makes you unsure of yourself. All that and Stryker's frightening grin pushed me over the edge. I darted out the door that was behind me. Once I was in the empty stairwell, I puked. My stomach twisted as I emptied it on the concrete floor.