If your heart stops beating

Chapter 19

~*Ray’s Point of view*~

I checked my watch for the thousandth time. It was 7:45. Bob and I were sitting in the kitchen, waiting for the others to get home.
Bob drained his cup of coffee and stood up to pour himself another one.
“Ray. Relax. They’ll be here any minute.”
At that moment the door opened and Frank walked in, closely followed by Gerard and Mikey.
“See, what did I tell you?”
Frank kicked off his shoes and flung them into the corner. Then he sat down at the table and put his head in his hands. I shuffled along the bench until I was next to him and put my arm around his shoulders.
“How is he?”
He let my arm sit there for a moment, then shrugged it off and sighed.
“I hope I never have to do anything like that ever again.”
“Why, what happened?”
“He was- he said two men attacked him with a crowbar. He’s broken his leg, arm, collarbone and ribs; fractured his skull; he’s got multiple face injuries...”
I put my arm around him again, and this time he didn’t move it.
“But he was awake, wasn’t he? I mean, he told you what happened?”
Frank nodded.
“He just accepted it. So... matter-of-fact... that he got beaten up that badly. That he could have been killed. He just accepted it.”
I hugged him, letting his head rest on my shoulder.
“He’s alive, Frank. Be grateful for that.”
He nodded. I looked around at Bob, Mikey and Gerard standing around awkwardly. Then Mikey stepped forward and sat down beside Frank.
“It’ll be okay, Frank. At least he’s not in a coma or anything. You can still see him; you can still talk to him.”
Frank nodded again. Then he sat up.
“You’re right. I’m stupid, I’m being such a baby.”
Gerard shook his head.
“No you’re not. It shows you’re human, that you can feel this way.”
Frank sat silently, and after a moment I saw tears trickling down his face. I hugged him again, gently rocking him from side to side. After a few minutes I heard his breathing steady, and I picked him up and carried him into his room, laying him down on his bed and pulling the covers over him. Then I went back into the kitchen.
“Poor guy.”
Gerard nodded slowly, staring at the floor. Then he started up and blinked.
“I don’t know why, but hospitals always make me so tired.”
Mikey shrugged.
“Yeah. I feel like I haven’t slept in a week. I dunno why, it’s only eight oclock.”
He yawned. Bob covered his face.
“No, don’t! Yawns are contagious.”
Sure enough, it was spreading. One by one, we all left the kitchen, and by 8:30 all the lights were out.

**Author's Note: Comment, bitches! Comments = <3. No Comments = D:< So comment!**