If your heart stops beating

Chapter 39

~*Frank’s Point of view*~

“HEY FRANK!”
I sat up. Jamia swore beside me and pulled her pillow over her head.
“Fraaank!”
“Yeah?”
I jumped out of bed and ran out into the hallway, where I nearly collided with Alec.
“It’s Saturday, it’s Saturday!”
“Eh? Aaaah...”
“Yeah! I’m twelve, I’m twelve!”
“Happy Birthday.”
“Can you two take it somewhere else please? Happy Birthday Alec, now piss off, I’m trying to sleep.”
He giggled. I grabbed his hand and pulled him along the hallway to the kitchen.
“Sit there and don’t move until I get back.”
He obediently sat and I walked back down the hall to my room. Out of the wardrobe I took a small pile of presents, which I took back into the kitchen.
“Okay, here you go.”
He picked up the top one and looked at the label.
“From Frank.”
He unwrapped the box.
“Ooh! A PSP! Thank you!”
He pulled off the note stuck to the back of the box.
“‘Open Jamia’s next.’”
He put down the PSP and picked up the next present in the pile.
“Okay...”
He tore off the wrapping paper.
“PSP games. How convenient.”
I laughed.
“Okay, here you go. This one is from the guys.”
I handed him the last gift in the pile.
“It’s heavy.”
He carefully pulled the paper off the large box.
“Oh my god. You’re joking.”
I laughed again.
“Nope.”
“A laptop?”
“A laptop. Please note this is from Bob, Ray, Mikey and Gerard. They did it without consulting me, and only told me about it when they gave me the box. I believe Mikey’s words were ‘Ha ha sucker, we gave your kid a better present than you did.’”
He giggled.
“Well, a PSP is more portable than a laptop. It’s lighter. It’s easier to hold. And it’s from you, which makes it all the more special.”
I patted his head.
“Awww, cheesy.”
He grinned, then checked his watch.
“It’s ten o’clock. Can we go out today?”
“Sure. Have breakfast, we’ll leave in about an hour. I’m gonna go get dressed.”
I walked out of the kitchen, down the hall and into my bedroom.
“Hey sweetie.”
She sat up, rubbing her eyes.
“Did he like the stuff?”
I nodded. She smiled.
“That’s good. Are you gonna take him out today?”
“What, aren’t you coming?”
She shook her head.
“Nah, I think I’d just like to stay home.”
I kissed her.
“That’s fine.”
I got dressed and headed back into the kitchen. Alec had finished his cereal and was starting up his laptop. I sat down beside him and helped him set up the system. Then I checked my watch.
“It’s 10:30. Is half an hour enough to have a play around, or do you want to put off going out for another hour?”
He shrugged.
“Half an hour should be fine.”
“Okay.”
I started making myself breakfast.

Half an hour later he closed the laptop. I looked up.
“You ready?”
He nodded.
“I’m just gonna go get dressed and stuff.”
I went in to tell Jamia we were going.
“We’ll probably be back in about two hours.”
She nodded.
“Have fun.”
I went back into the kitchen, where Alec was already waiting.
“Let’s go.”
I followed him out and shut the door behind me.

Alec sighed as we walked up the street.
“This is the best birthday I’ve ever had. Thanks, Frankie.”
I laughed.
“No problem.”
We reached the crossing and I pressed the button.
“Lunch and then home.”
“Okay.”
The light went green and we crossed over. As we reached the other side, my phone rang. I pulled it out and checked the caller ID. Not a number I recognised.
“Hello?”
“Frank?”
“Mikey?”
“Yeah.”
“What’s up?”
“I’m- I’m at the hospital.”
“What? Why?”
“Jamia’s gone into labour.”
“Oh shit.”
“We’ve been here for about ten minutes, but they made us fill out paperwork and stuff before I could call you.”
“Shit, shit, shit. I’ll be right there.”
I hung up.
“I’m sorry, Alec, we have to go to the hospital. Jamia’s having the baby.”
“Oh, right.”
He looked around.
“Which way’s the car?”
I pointed.
“Back the way we came.”
He ran back onto the crossing just as the little man started flashing. There was no traffic queued at the lights, but as I was about to step out after him a black sports car came racing around the corner.
That guy’s speeding. He could- SHIT.
“Alec!”
He turned.
“What?”
Before I could move the car had hit him. My stomach turned over as he hit the road with a sickening thud. The car screeched to a stop and the driver jumped out.
“Oh my god.”
I barely heard him. I was already on my knees beside Alec.
“Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, please no.”
He blinked and turned his head to look at me.
“Frank...”
I choked back a sob.
“No, please, don’t do this to me.”
He moved his hand and I placed mine on top of it.
“Don’t die, don’t die, don’t die.”
The driver of the car had pulled out his cell phone and was calling 911. He looked about in his mid-forties. After giving the ambulance directions, he hung up and sat down beside me.
“I’m so sorry. I didn’t see him. God, I shouldn’t have been speeding. I’m so, so sorry.”
I shook my head.
“There’s no point saying stuff like that. What’s done is done. It’s okay, he’ll be fine...”
He sniffed, and I looked at him. He was crying.
“I can’t believe this. I’m such a stupid, stupid idiot. The poor boy...”
His voice trailed off and we sat in silence, ignoring the crowd that was slowly gathering. Alec’s hand was icy and he kept closing his eyes, then moments later wrenching them open, as though to assure himself and me that he was still alive. Soon, though, he stopped opening them and lay still.
I held his hand until the ambulance arrived.
As the three men transferred him onto a stretcher, my phone rang.
“Hello?”
“Hey Frank.”
“Jamia!”
“Frank... It’s a girl.”

**Author's Note: OOOH!
Yes, this is the second-to-last chapter. I wouldn't leave you with a huge cliffhanger like that.

I actually cried when I wrote this, which is really unusual for me, because I don't usually cry when I write.

I know I'm going to be pelted with questions now. Most likely the first thing people ask will be: Does he die?

Well, you're gonna have to wait to find out. If I don't get enough comments, then, well... You'll see.

COMMENT! It's the only chance left...

XD

And thanks to those loyal readers who do comment.**