If your heart stops beating

Chapter 40

Fast Forward

~*Frank’s Point of view*~

“Guess what day it is?”
I looked up and smiled.
“August the sixth, Happy Birthday Alec.”
“I’m thirteen!”
“You sure are. Is Jamia awake yet?”
“Yeah. I think so. Baby Julia certainly is.”
“Okay.”
Alec grabbed a bowl from the cupboard and started making breakfast. I checked my watch.
“You slept in. Better hurry, you’ll be late for school.”
“Oh, alright.”
“And don’t dawdle on the way home, remember, we’re going to see Katie and then we’re all going to dinner.”
“Okay.”
“I’m sorry, we don’t have time for presents now. Let’s do it when you get home, alright?”
“That’s fine.”
I heard the sound of a bowl being rinsed in the sink.
“You can’t have finished your cereal that fast!”
“I certainly did.”
“You have hollow legs.”
Jamia walked in, holding Julia.
“Hiya. Happy Birthday, Alec.”
Alec kissed her on the cheek, kissed Julia on the nose, and finally gave me a huge hug before picking up the schoolbag that was lying beside the door. I turned around.
“Oh, by the way, Mikey wanted you to go past his place and make sure Danielle gets to school alright.”
“Okay. If Linda surfaces, send her after me.”
“Will do. Don’t go too fast, she should only be about five minutes.”
“Alright.”
Alec walked out and closed the door. I turned to Jamia and sighed.
“They grow up so fast, don’t they?”
She nodded.
“They sure do.”
I went over to the window and watched my daughter, Alecsandra, walk away. She turned, saw me at the window, and waved. I waved back, sighing happily.
Then something hit my waist and I looked down to see my younger daughter, six-year-old Linda, hugging me tightly.
“Did I miss her?”
“Only just.”
“Aw man.”
I smiled and picked her up, setting her down at the table.
“It’s okay. Have some breakfast quickly and then you can run after her.”
Linda proceeded to wolf down the toast Jamia placed in front of her.
“Slow down, slow down. God, you’re both fast eaters, you and your sister.”
She grinned widely and finished the last piece of toast. Then she grabbed her schoolbag and gave us each a kiss before running out the door, calling to Alec to wait. Jamia laughed and bounced two-year-old Julia up and down.
“They’re real whirlwinds, aren’t they?”
I nodded and sighed, walking over to the mantelpiece. In pride of place was a photo in an ornate silver frame. I picked it up and gazed at the image for a minute before sighing sadly.
“I only knew him for a year and a half, and he completely changed my life.”
Jamia kissed me and put her chin on my shoulder, still jiggling Julia up and down on her hip.
“Don’t be sad. You changed his life too. You do this every year, now be cheerful.”
I replaced the photo on the mantelpiece.
“You’re right.”
Jamia smiled and left the room with Julia. I sighed and touched the frame, tracing the pattern with one finger.
“Happy Birthday, Alec. Happy 25th.”
A man walked past the house, whistling as he walked. A distant memory drifted back to me and I smiled.
“Don’t worry, be happy. You said it, Alec.”

THE END.