I Won't See You Tonight

New Friends/ The Meeting

I woke up at six. I liked waking up early, but six was borderline too early for me. I dragged myself to the shower in hopes of waking myself up better. I got out thirty minutes later and was wide awake. I straightened my long brown hair and did my make-up. I wore jeans and a misfits shirt.

I grabbed a couple apples and headed out to school at six forty-five. My aunt had already registered me into the schools system. All I had to do was check into the office and get my schedule. I had a lot of time to get to school, but I wanted to make sure I got enough time to get myself into “people mode”. I reached the school at seven ten. I went ahead and checked in with the office and got my schedule.

It was seven twenty by the time I was waiting for Matt. He arrived not long afterward. He had a friend with him, which crushed my idea of throwing my spare apple at his head, in return for his Frisbee hitting mine.

“Emelyne!” He greeted me.

“This is my buddy Jimmy.”

“Hello, Jimmy.” I smiled. He simply nodded. Definitely not a morning person.

“Shall we begin?” Matt asked. I nodded and handed him my schedule. He looked it over and raised his eyebrow.

“You’re taking Horticulture?”

“I love plants.” I shrugged.

“But isn’t it all snow in Alaska?”

“No, Silly. Just most of it is.”

“Oh…’kay.” He said and shook his head. He began walking. He first showed me where my locker was and then a tour of where my classes would be. He then showed me around other miscellaneous parts. By then Jimmy had woken up and was really hyper. According to Matt, this was an everyday occurrence.

“Wanna go meet up with the others?” He asked when he decided that he showed me everything.

“Sure.” I shrugged and tagged along to a nice size clearing on the school grounds. It seemed right to hang along with Matt. He was someone I could see myself being close friends with. And Jimmy…. Well, I was looking forward to being friends with him. He seemed like someone who could definitely make me really laugh.

We walked up to a group of people dressed similarly to us. I smiled as I was introduced to everyone.

“Val, Michelle, Brian, Cam, Johnny, and Zacky.” I nodded toward each, and quickly moved on to the next. But then I felt myself go to a dead stop on Zacky’s face. I couldn’t look away.

I’m not sure what it was. I was immediately attracted to him. He could easily be God’s greatest gift to Earth. I was able to take my eyes off of his face, but only to take in the rest of him. Luckily he was distracted by whatever Matt was telling them. Frankly, I couldn’t hear a word.

He had obviously died black hair, but it suited him perfectly. His eyes were hypnotic. It was the most beautiful shade of green that I had ever seen. He wasn’t too tall, but he wasn’t that short. He was skinny, and from the looks of it, somewhat muscled. He wore a Misfits shirt, which made me smile. His black jeans were ripped. He also wore gloves, which made him look like a total badass, and it worked for him. He smiled, and I was sure that I hadn’t seen a cuter smile than his. He looked at me and I couldn’t look away. I felt like a deer caught in headlights.

The bell rang through my ears for the first time and it made me jump, losing balance. I grabbed hold of the bench next to me just before someone else caught hold of my arm.

“Hey, be careful,” he smiled at me. The blood rushed to my face as I realized his hand was so close to mine. I nodded in answer to his statement. He let go off my arm and we started walking.

“So, what do you have first?” Zacky asked.

“Uh, I’m not sure. I think Matt still has my schedule.” I frowned. Matt was already several paces ahead of us with most of the others. There was no way my short self was going to run to catch up with him.

“Well, that doesn’t help. Can you not remember what it was?”

“No, but he said my locker was close to his, so I might be able to catch him there.”

“Maybe.” Zacky said and silently walked along with me.