‹ Prequel: Worth Waiting For

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Two Parties

May 2016

“Alright class, go to your cubbies and grab your art boxes and some paper.” Miss Miller said. “We’re going to make Mother’s Day cards.”

“Is your Mommy still sick?” Rachel asked while we got our art boxes.

“Yeah, we’re going to the hospital tonight to have a party.” I said, sitting back down at our table with Sean and Andrew.

“What’s the party for?” Sean asked.

“For Mother’s Day and my Mommy’s birthday. It was last week.” I said, grabbing my purple marker and drawing a flower on my paper.

After school I stood outside with all my friends waiting to go home. I saw Uncle Logan waiting for me and ran to him.

“Hey Lexi,” he said, picking me up and carrying me to the car. “How was school?”

“Good. We made Mother’s Day cards and I played jump-rope at recess.” I said. “Is Daddy going to be home?”

“No, he has to work a little later. You’re coming to my house today and Aunt Annie will be there and then Daddy will come get us to go to the hospital for the party.”

“Oh okay.”

****

While waiting for Daddy, Aunt Annie and I played with play-doh in the kitchen. Uncle Logan was working in his office. I was showing Aunt Annie the card I made Mommy when the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it.” Uncle Logan said. He came back into the kitchen with Daddy.

“Daddy!” I cried, running over and hugging him.

“Hey baby, did you have fun in school?” he asked, picking me up.

“Yeah, look what I made Mommy!” I said, pointing to my card on the table.

“That’s very pretty honey.” He said, putting me down and looking at the card. “Mommy’s going to love it. Ready to go?”

“Yeah. Are you coming to the party Aunt Annie?” I asked.

“Yes we are. We’re going to follow you and Daddy in our car.” She said, putting away the play-doh.

“Okay. Let’s go Daddy.” I said, taking my card in one hand and Daddy’s hand in the other.

“Yes ma’am.” He said, laughing.

****

Joe’s POV

Lexi and I arrived at the hospital with Logan and Annabelle behind us. The four of us walked through the hallways taking the elevator up to the fourth floor where Melissa has been living for the past month. I walked down the familiar hallways, taking the same turns, smiling at the same friendly nurses. They all gushed over Lexi as is usual and she hammed it up, smiling brightly and saying hi to everyone.

“Mommy!” she cried, letting go of my hand and running over to Lyss.

She tried climbing onto the bed and Lyss tried helping her but she didn’t seem to have the strength. My smile instantly disappeared when I saw my wife struggling and I helped Lexi up onto the bed where she instantly wrapped her arms around her mother, hugging her tightly.

“Hey,” I whispered, leaning down and giving her a kiss on the lips. She smiled up at me and looked to the door of the room where Logan and Annabelle were entering.

“Hi Melissa. How are you?” Annabelle asked, coming over and hugging her.

“Oh I’m alright. Just tired.” Lyss said, stroking Lexi’s hair.

Soon the rest of the family came and we had our little party. Lyss smiled throughout the whole thing, Lexi and I sitting on either side of her but I could tell she was tired. I could tell she was waiting for everyone to leave before letting out a heavy sigh. I could tell… something wasn’t right. I was getting more and more nervous with each passing day. I was scared for the life of my wife and my unborn child; scared for Lexi; scared for myself.
When the celebrations were over, everyone left except my parents and Frankie. I let Lexi say good-bye to Lyss and then lifted her off the bed.

“Go wait with Gran, Gramp, and Uncle Frankie while I talk to Mommy okay?” I asked, kissing her forehead.

“Okay. Bye Mommy, I love you!” she said, smiling and waving at Lyss.

“I love you too sweetheart.” She said, smiling. I watched until my mother had taken Lexi down the hall, out of ear-shot before turning back to Lyss. “Say what you have to say.” She said with a sigh and watching me as I slowly walked towards the bed.

I pulled the chair right up next to the bed and took her hand in mine. It seemed so small. I twisted her gold wedding band around her finger… it had grown so loose. I lightly kissed the tip of each finger and held her hand to my cheek, pressing it there as if trying to create an imprint. I closed my eyes and felt a tear slip down my cheek. She wiped it away with her thumb and then ran her thumb across my lips.

“Joe… what’s wrong baby?” she asked, her voice strained. I never cry in front of her… I couldn’t keep this quiet anymore. I opened my eyes and locked a connection with hers.

“I’m scared.” I whispered. She reached across her body and pushed my hair out of my face while keeping her other hand on my cheek.

“Why?”

“Because… if things were alright you wouldn’t be here in the hospital. You’d be at home. We would have had a better birthday party for you. I would have taken you out to a fancy restaurant for Mother’s Day. You’d be picking Lexi up after school and playing games and having fun with her… planning the baby’s room. This… this isn’t right. This isn’t you.”

“Joe, honey, things will be fine. A month from now I’ll have this baby and a few days later I’ll be home. We’ll be a happy family of four with our house and our puppy. We’ll be so deliriously happy. It’s going to be fine.”

“How do you know?” I asked, my voice breaking as my vision clouded with tears.

“I just know.”

How do you know?”

“Joe. I love you. Our love is so strong, nothing can change that and I’ll always be here.”

“I love you too.” That’s all I managed to get out.

“Come here,” she whispered. I leaned forward and placed my lips on hers, kissing her softly. I pulled away but she stopped me. “Not good enough.” And she pulled my head back to hers, kissing me furiously. My arms went up, cupping her face to mine as my lips kissed her hungrily, my tears mixing in.

“Forever and ever and a day.” I whispered, my lips brushing up against hers. I felt her lips pull up into a smile and I stepped back.

“Go home,” she whispered, still smiling. I slowly backed up to the door, watching as her eyes slowly drifted shut and she fell asleep. I walked down the hallway, hastily wiping my tears away and met up with my parents, younger brother, and daughter.

“Come on Ally-Baby. Let’s go home.” I said. She took Frankie’s hand and they started walking to the elevator while I walked with my parents. My Mom wrapped her arm around my shoulders and gave me a side-hug.

“Everything’s going to be fine.” She whispered, kissing my cheek and wiping away a stray tear. Mother always knows best.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw... Joe had a mini-breakdown =[.... It was kinda... heart-wrenching writing him like that.

Alright guys... how do you feel? Do you feel like Joe? I'm scared... something's not right... or do you feel like Mel? Things will be fine. A month from now I'll be home with our new baby...

Leave me comments letting me know what you think and how you feel in this situation.

REMINDER I will post Ch. 7 tomorrow (Friday) morning and then I'm going to camp until Sunday afternoon. I will post Ch. 8 on Sunday afternoon/night depending on what time I get back.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting! You guys are awesome! <3

C/R/S

~Steph <3

Now:.......................

Image

CONGRATULATIONS to Kevin and Danielle on their engagement! I'm so excited for them. They are an adorable couple and I've been waiting for the day he'd propose when those first pictures surfaced of them on the beach last year. I wish them every happiness together :D