Break This Awkward Silence

In this moment we can't close the lids

The shrill ring of the phone interrupted Alex’s attempt at finishing the paperwork she had brought home. Checking Gracie was still on the couch engrossed in Blue’s Clues she picked up the handset beside her.

“Hey Alex, you busy tonight?” Matt asked.

“Hi Matt. I’m fine, thanks. How are you?” Alex rolled her eyes at his non-existent greeting.

“Sorry, Val wants me to set you up with someone.”

Alex rolled her eyes again and was about to reply.

“Just say yes, Al? Get her off my back?” Matt pleaded.

“Never mind how desperate I would appear to accept a date for tonight I don’t have a sitter for Gracie and I’m not even sure I’m dating right now,” Alex sighed as she leant back against the kitchen counter.

“I’m not saying you have to marry the guy or even like him, just meet him. Val and I’ll baby-sit.”

Alex thought about it, she hadn’t been on a date in forever, since before she and Brian had split.

“Come on Alex, I know you’re thinking about it,” Matt broke into her thoughts.

“I don’t know. Who is this guy anyway?”

“His name’s Andy, he tattooed me a couple times, you’ll like him I promise. And if you don’t just think of it as a free dinner.”

Alex smiled, “Wow Matt you really know how to sell it to a girl.”

“Does that mean you’ll go?” he asked hopefully.

She shrugged, “I guess. What time?”

“He said to meet him at eight at that little Italian place downtown. What time will Val and I come over?”

Alex bit her bottom lip as she thought, “Come over around seven thirty?”

“Sure, see you then.”

“Alright, bye Matt.”

“Bye, go make yourself look hot!”

Alex rolled her eyes at her friend, not totally sure what she was letting herself in for.

comments = ♥