Break This Awkward Silence

Steel corpses stretch out towards an ending sun

Brian almost crashed into Alex as he ran out of the restaurant.

“What do you want from me Brian?” she asked as he ground to a halt in front of her.

“I just want to talk to you. No more fucking around, I swear. Just talk to me,” he pleaded.

“We spoke yesterday and you made your feelings perfectly clear,” she said firmly before turning to walk away.

“I was an ass okay? And I didn’t make my feelings clear because I love you,” he yelled up the street.

Alex stopped walking and he took the opportunity to catch up to her.

“I love you,” he said again, softly.

She was looking down at the pavement, “Stop doing this Bri.”

“Doing what?” he asked, confused.

“Fucking around with my feelings,” Alex looked up at him, her eyes glassy in the dim light of the street.

“I’m not fucking around. I know I hurt you - ”

“You didn’t just hurt me Brian, you destroyed me. I thought that when Gracie was born everything would be the way it should have been before. And it was for a little while until you fucked it up,” she said quietly.

Brian swallowed hard and looked at the ground, “I’m changing. I want to be the man you think I can be, the man you expected me to be. I’m gonna step up to the plate and be there for you and Gracie. But I want us to be a proper family. I love you both so much, it kills me that you can’t just put the past behind you and move on.”

Alex shook her head and looked down again, “You think it’s that easy? That I can just forgive and forget and move on? I can forgive sure, put it down to the JD and the rockstar status, but forget? Every time I looked at you I could picture you with someone else. Your lips on someone else’s cheek, your hands on someone else’s body and it made my skin crawl.”

Brian watched as she stalked off across the street to her car.

“If it made you feel so shitty then you must still feel something,” he stood beside her with his hand on the car door, preventing her from opening it.

Alex glared at the shiny black metal, “No one said anything about not feeling anything.”

“What does that mean?”

She shifted her gaze to his face, “It means I still love you, I never stopped. Now move out of the fucking way and let me go home.”

Brian moved back quickly and let her wrench open the door and slip inside. He watched as she pulled out of the street and her car disappeared into the distance.

Okay so the dinner hadn’t gone exactly to plan but she still loved him and knew he still loved her.

It was a step in the right direction.

comments = ♥